1 2 3
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/24 6:57 p.m.

Looking it up, it looks like Jasper is rather dark, but the depiction above might be more what it looks like in the sun (?).  Here is a version with the actual Jasper (and another color that was matched with it for some reason):

Here are the colors (as shown on the web):

Sherwin Williams Jasper (SW 6216) vs Benjamin Moore Rainy Afternoon ...

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/24 7:21 p.m.

I am assuming you are doing board and batten on the new addition just like your shop.  If so, the dark color will look better than the photoshop pics.  All the different reliefs and resulting shadows and highlights will make it more pleasing to the eye.  Just looking at your picture of the shop in initial post proves the point.  Go for it.

You might also carry the lighter green color to paint around the window frames and facia to tie the whole building together.

The challenge may be smoothly tying in the older concrete building after the vinyl siding is removed.  I was almost ready to say paint the vinyl siding;  to get some sort of texture/relief pattern for that part of the structure.

OBTW, I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.   smiley

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/23/24 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog :

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 7:49 p.m.

I like it, but there won't be any window trim. The windows are black.

I like the orange/ brown color on the doors, but they are pre finished black (except the small single door on the rear).

If you really want to be accurate, the windows have no grills (like you drew), but the 2 double doors have a large pattern 6 lite grill.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 7:52 p.m.

Yes, the siding will be board and batten like the shop. 

Purple Frog
7/23/24 7:56 p.m.

OK, see it now, the windows are like the ones on the side of the shop picture.   Even that black edge will create a visual difference to not be all dark green.   yes

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 7:57 p.m.

Bingo!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/23/24 8:00 p.m.

Here's a shot that shows what the doors look like a little better

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/24/24 5:47 a.m.

I think instead of simply choosing a lighter paint color for the front porch/entry I'd go with a different material. Use it on the front facing wall with the entry door, and then down the side wall of the new addition as well (under your porch roof).

My first instinct was a light wood acoustic panel like this:

Luxury American Oak Acoustic Slat Wood Wall Panels | Original Slatpanel | Premium Wood Finish | 94.49" x 25.20"

But I see that you used something very similar for the eaves of the garage, so I'd probably just get that same stuff to match and visually connect the details of the house to the garage just a bit more.

A combination of the wood slats and paint could be interesting as well:

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
7/24/24 5:55 a.m.

But if the plan is to use the same garage eave material on the porch ceiling, then you probably don't want it on all of the walls too. Maybe a lighter brick or stone could be incorporated for the entry area to avoid the monolithic dark cave look?

Sherwin Williams Cascade paint color on a rustic mountain lake house in the Pacific Northwest. green exterior paint color.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/24/24 6:20 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Good idea. I'll give that some thought. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/24/24 11:53 a.m.

Quick minor update. (I like the idea of some exposed wood or stone also):

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/24/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

There WILL be exposed wood, but it won't show in that elevation. The porch ceiling is 16x18 and it will match the wood overhangs I did on the shop. 

In elevation it doesn't show at all, but when you are standing in front of it looking up at it it is a very strong element. 

The front elevation is almost 30' tall, and the porch ceiling will be about 22' above the grade, and only about 12' from the road. It will be very visible.

I will also be thinking about adding some wood or stone around the front door. 

Purple Frog
7/24/24 1:43 p.m.

You know how landscape designers will tell you to put a fountain in your flower garden to take the viewer's eyes away from the A/C compressor....

I bet if you park a bright yellow C8 Corvette in front of the porch, it will break up the visual impact of all that dark green.  Just saying.     wink

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/24 1:46 p.m.
STM317 said:

I think instead of simply choosing a lighter paint color for the front porch/entry I'd go with a different material. Use it on the front facing wall with the entry door, and then down the side wall of the new addition as well (under your porch roof).

My first instinct was a light wood acoustic panel like this:

Luxury American Oak Acoustic Slat Wood Wall Panels | Original Slatpanel | Premium Wood Finish | 94.49" x 25.20"

But I see that you used something very similar for the eaves of the garage, so I'd probably just get that same stuff to match and visually connect the details of the house to the garage just a bit more.

A combination of the wood slats and paint could be interesting as well:

I filled an archway with a similar wood treatment and polyurethaned it and it looks ridiculously good.

Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
7/30/24 11:08 a.m.

With the dark green a lighter beige may look good along the front door area, also to avoid making it all feel kinda blended togethor maybe consider putting in some fake columns/paneling that breaks up sections of the house.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/30/24 12:53 p.m.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/24 7:31 a.m.

Saw this nice use of dark colors without being totally black. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 9:16 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

What a gorgeous house! I love not only the colors but the different materials used.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/5/24 9:39 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

I agree. It's beautiful 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/24 6:29 p.m.
dyintorace said:
OHSCrifle said:

What a gorgeous house! I love not only the colors but the different materials used.

It's a couple years old - in Sea Pines on HHI. I ride my bicycle past it when we go there to stay at my in-laws condo. I agree it's really nice. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 7:22 a.m.

so I suck at photo shop but I found this pole barn in Hunter Green Grey and copper, and thought it would be a good look without overpowering anything.

Edit it looked a lot darker on Facebook for some reason, maybe my phone being in night mode

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/14/24 9:01 a.m.

I think my main concern was trying to be comfortable with too much dark green. 

Oh well. It's just paint...

Made a little progress:

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/24 9:09 p.m.

Did you end up doing the septic furnace?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/22/24 9:40 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

No. The setbacks allowed us to pull the addition closer to the street, and we missed the existing septic. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T1WvvdG9Iog9hQ31nyj8bamUZCOo6J9obj6IaA2e8lLVZKiFXgSEAvsZ1ZKmdJe3