1 2
Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
6/20/13 7:09 p.m.

Yesterday was my little brother's 13th birthday, and I just got my quarterly bonus, so I splurged and got him a skateboard. And today, I went back and got one for myself. I know this will end badly, but I had a huge smile on my face as I messed around in a parking lot while listening to music. 25's not to early to start, right?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/20/13 7:29 p.m.

I'm 33, broken my feet a total of 4 times between the two, countless sprains, at least one severe enough for crutches, my knees and hips are equally shot.... and I'm still tempted to go to the skateshop tomorrow. Do it while you can.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/13 7:30 p.m.

I messed with one once. Cost me a week in a cast. Have fun.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/20/13 8:21 p.m.

I don't bounce near as good as I did when I was 14. Have phun, though.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
6/20/13 8:49 p.m.

i gave that mode of transportation/recreation right about the time i hit the pavement face first after i hit a 1/4" rock at full speed at just the right time that i wasn't able to fall right... i figured that busting my 4 front teeth and leaving about a pint of blood in the road where my mouth hit it was a good indication that it was time to give that up..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/13 8:52 p.m.

You should try doing that thing where you slide down a railing.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/20/13 9:12 p.m.

I couldn't master one when I was a kid. Can't imagine how it would go today.

btp76
btp76 Reader
6/20/13 9:14 p.m.

I spent 3 years on one 25 years ago. As I type this my ankle still hurts.

I have a friend who was a sponsored amateur who almost had his own board. He is keeping it a secret from his son until he's far too old to take up skating.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/20/13 9:23 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I don't bounce near as good as I did when I was 14. Have phun, though.

+1.

Then again, I bounced much better at 25 than I do now at 42... now I bounce into the P/T clinic...

Wear a wrist guard. Seriously. But even that is no guarantee.

I still have the board I got when I was 15. It's fun to bring out once in awhile, but I put it away before I do anything stupid.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/20/13 9:27 p.m.

I bear the scars of being an 8yo and having a skateboard, ah remember the good old days when people left empty milk bottles out to be collected.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
6/20/13 9:40 p.m.

Skateboards and I have never gotten along. Not even when I had halfway decent balance years ago.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/20/13 11:11 p.m.

Paging Gamby...

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
6/20/13 11:15 p.m.

I can still ride one at age 41 but I am not as nimble as I once was. I spent several years of my youth using a skate board as my major source of transport before I discovered driving.

Brokeback
Brokeback New Reader
6/20/13 11:34 p.m.

First experience with skateboard, probably around age 10 -

Why are there so many joints in our backyard? Why couldn't Dad just pour one continuous concrete path? With less acute angles too, maybe 30 degrees instead of 90!

Second experience, but this time with a longboard around 15 -

Oh wow, these wheels are way quieter and can actually go over cracks!!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/13 12:51 a.m.

I can still kickflip at 27 but at 14 I was waaaay more flexible and didn't pay for my own health insurance. My ribs still pop if I sneeze hard enough. That being said, have fun with it and don't get caught up in what tricks people are doing ot what's cool just skate. I started as a little kid and still do tricks from that era (1992) that are long out of style. (Bonelesses and no complys) and I have no interest in hucking my self down a flight of stairs anymore but I have a blast carving through a drainage ditch and ollieing bumps.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/13 10:00 a.m.

i'm 46 and about 2 years ago i made my 15-YO nephew's eyes bug out when i stepped onto his board and cracked an ollie on the front porch. i could never land one rolling, but he doesn't need to know that.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/21/13 10:10 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: i'm 46 and about 2 years ago i made my 15-YO nephew's eyes bug out when i stepped onto his board and cracked an ankle attempting an ollie on the front porch. i could never land one rolling, but he doesn't need to know that.

FTFY

beans
beans Reader
6/21/13 10:11 a.m.

I had a longboard in San Diego. That was fun to bomb down hills. Might pick another one up to tool around on.

I haven't been on a regular skateboard in a looooong time.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/21/13 10:45 a.m.

I did ok as a kid in the late 70s. I was much more into my bicycle. I learned to ride a unicycle in school (it was a "special" school, I think today they call them magnet schools?).

I bought a unicycle on craigslist late last summer, and fully intend to re-learn it again this year.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
6/21/13 12:45 p.m.

Perhaps this is mankind's way of saying that modern times are too safe... We create our own danger.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/21/13 1:59 p.m.

I rode BMX for over a decade through my teens and twenties.

I just turned 33. The other day I got on my bike for the first time in over a year, and goofed around doing some simple little curb tricks and bunny-hop stuffs...

I am officially old, because the next morning I felt like I just got hit by a train, my legs feel like jello, and my arms havent seemed to be functioning normally for the last few days

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/21/13 2:05 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I ride mtn and road bikes often - 2-3x a week on average - but when I dig out my BMX bike it'll put a hurtin' on me. Jumping and hopping around on flat pedals again when you're used to riding with clipless pedals uses a different set of muscles. Sadly, we lost our local track, so I haven't been on it in years.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
6/21/13 2:16 p.m.

I had a BMX bike when I was a kid... I recently passed it on to my nephew because I don't ride anything without a motor anymore. He complained about the weight haha but rides it everyday. Later he was wanting to upgrade... and realized that bike 'is' the upgrade and is worth twice what I paid over 10 years ago. I worked saving for that thing almost a year.

I have never liked skate-boards due to the rural ness of my area and bad roads. I loved roller blades but my road was chip and seal. If it was over 70 degrees out... Forget it. You would melt to the road. I think 15 is too old to do anything but motorsports. That was my background though. When you turn 15 sit the kiddy stuff aside because you've only got 365 days to build a car.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
6/21/13 3:10 p.m.

I tried skateboarding as a kid - and it hurt. I rode my bike all over, but when I tried BMX - it hurt. I started mountain biking at 25 and now I ride trail and/or road at least a couple times a week and I'm in the best shape of my life. When I fall it hurts, but I don't care. The fun:hurt ration is much higher now.

Be careful, ride YOUR ride, not someone else's. You're gonna get hurt, at least a little, but it might just be worth it.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
6/21/13 5:26 p.m.

Never was big into skateboarding, mainly because my cousin got the speed wobbles coming down a hill, came of the back of it and had a rock go through the back of his skull. He had to be revived three times in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and was in intensive care for a week because of brain swelling. After that mom through mine out and I was big into BMX anyway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F6C9w2Q8VD3JuVm7vOavFI4cdq5fwRI3PrqnUhavKdv7MvyxzAniwj8aZC5s9BTc