1 2 3 4 5
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/5/08 12:03 p.m.

I like the political stuff. Besides Ignorants recent trolling most of them have actually been a rational back and forth debate. Its rare that you can watch people actively disagree that much and fairly calmly and logically explain why. Even when they do get heated we all seem to continue to get along. A couple examples: I tend to follow Ignorant around disagreeing with every political thing he says, yet he gave me a long thought out detailed list of things I might like to do when visiting his town and invited me to meet him for a beer. Had I stayed overnight in the town I would have gladly taken him up on it. Im not a religious man and spend some time disagreeing with SVreX on the topic on the forum, yet I consider him a friend and we spend quite a bit of time off forum discussing car related madness. With the nature of relationships on this forum I think I could probably travel across country and visit members and have a great time regardless of our different religious/political/social views on the forum.

doitover
doitover Reader
9/5/08 12:04 p.m.

It isn't the political content that's bad, it's the way it turns into name calling. Stick to talking about the ideas and stop labeling people as country hating left wing libs and it wouldn't be the turn off to newcomers as it must be now. In a couple of months I could probably even stop calling Bush an idiot.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 12:05 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I like the political stuff. Besides Ignorants recent trolling most of them have actually been a rational back and forth debate. Its rare that you can watch people actively disagree that much and fairly calmly and logically explain why. Even when they do get heated we all seem to continue to get along. A couple examples: I tend to follow Ignorant around disagreeing with every political thing he says, yet he gave me a long thought out detailed list of things I might like to do when visiting his town and invited me to meet him for a beer. Had I stayed overnight in the town I would have gladly taken him up on it. Im not a religious man and spend some time disagreeing with SVreX on the topic on the forum, yet I consider him a friend and we spend quite a bit of time off forum discussing car related madness. With the nature of relationships on this forum I think I could probably travel across country and visit members and have a great time regardless of our different religious/political/social views on the forum.

I would buy anyone on this forum a beer. Even Hess.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/5/08 12:06 p.m.
It isn't the political content that's bad, it's the way it turns into name calling. Stick to talking about the ideas and stop labeling people as bible-toting right wing nuts and it wouldn't be the turn off to newcomers as it must be now. In a couple of months I could probably even stop calling Obama an idiot.

That advice needs to swing both ways.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/5/08 12:16 p.m.

Here's a candidate we can all agree on:

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/5/08 12:18 p.m.
doitover wrote: It isn't the political content that's bad, it's the way it turns into name calling. Stick to talking about the ideas and stop labeling people as country hating left wing libs and it wouldn't be the turn off to newcomers as it must be now. In a couple of months I could probably even stop calling Bush an idiot.

Irony.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/5/08 12:19 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I like the political stuff. Besides Ignorants recent trolling most of them have actually been a rational back and forth debate. Its rare that you can watch people actively disagree that much and fairly calmly and logically explain why. Even when they do get heated we all seem to continue to get along. A couple examples: I tend to follow Ignorant around disagreeing with every political thing he says, yet he gave me a long thought out detailed list of things I might like to do when visiting his town and invited me to meet him for a beer. Had I stayed overnight in the town I would have gladly taken him up on it. Im not a religious man and spend some time disagreeing with SVreX on the topic on the forum, yet I consider him a friend and we spend quite a bit of time off forum discussing car related madness. With the nature of relationships on this forum I think I could probably travel across country and visit members and have a great time regardless of our different religious/political/social views on the forum.

I will +1 that.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/5/08 12:32 p.m.

Michael Palin is HOT!

Hey, on the plus side of all this political talk, I bet more people are going to vote in this election than we have seen vote in a presidential election in a long time, and that's definitely a good thing. Even if my guy doesn't win it, if the country is motivated to get more involved, then that is still a very good thing.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/5/08 12:34 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I will +1 that.

You didn't +1 mine, and we're supposed to be BFFL's in christ. Berkeleying big selfish libertarian bitch.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/08 12:40 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: A couple examples: I tend to follow Ignorant around disagreeing with every political thing he says, yet he gave me a long thought out detailed list of things I might like to do when visiting his town and invited me to meet him for a beer. Had I stayed overnight in the town I would have gladly taken him up on it.

good thing you didn't. he was gonna shank you.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/5/08 12:46 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I will +1 that.
You didn't +1 mine, and we're supposed to be BFFL's in christ. Berkeleying big selfish libertarian bitch.

I figured +1-ing your post would be like +1-ing my own.

doitover
doitover Reader
9/5/08 12:48 p.m.

Yes, I didn't read all the posts before jumping in, if I had seen yours I'd have stayed out of it.

Want to come up to Cary and fix my dead e30 to show there are no hard feelings? Just kidding, not about the dead part though.

DILYSI Dave wrote:
doitover wrote: It isn't the political content that's bad, it's the way it turns into name calling. Stick to talking about the ideas and stop labeling people as country hating left wing libs and it wouldn't be the turn off to newcomers as it must be now. In a couple of months I could probably even stop calling Bush an idiot.
Irony.
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/08 1:43 p.m.

As an aside to the political front is anyone else impressed that no matter what we will have an Irish President?

McCain and O'Bama?

Nobody?

tap tap tap

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/5/08 1:56 p.m.

^^^ sorry, took me a bit to get it

Wowak
Wowak Dork
9/5/08 1:57 p.m.

I've got no dog in this fight anyway, I'm in the minority of people who have figured out that Democrats and Republicans are two flavors of the same collectivist evil. shrug

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/5/08 2:20 p.m.

"EVIL!"

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/5/08 2:32 p.m.

you and i need to have a beer and chill..

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
9/5/08 2:44 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: If we have 75% of the threads on the current page devolve into political arguments, how does that look for our newer viewers? Per

It looks bad.

I'm a mod on another car forum, where political comments are not allowed. The viewpoint on that forum is, "There's plenty of places to argue about politics on the internet......let's just talk about cars here." Everyone that signs up agrees to that or we kick them off. Maybe it sounds Draconian, but I think it's a good policy.

I can pontificate about politics as well as the next guy, but on a car forum, I'd rather talk about cars.

To me, political discourse works best face-to-face, where you're forced to be civil and respectful.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
9/5/08 2:53 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: I can pontificate about politics as well as the next guy, but on a car forum, I'd rather talk about cars.

No offense, but if that's your opinion, stay in the on topic section. You can talk about cars all you want there. I enjoy reading an intelligent political conversation, even if I don't participate much.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/5/08 2:57 p.m.

I'm just asking for it to be toned down a wee bit.

Per

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/5/08 3:13 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I'm just asking for it to be toned down a wee bit. Per

Looks like it worked. Today has been pretty relaxed, even in the political threads.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
9/5/08 3:43 p.m.

Yeah, I'm certainly not arguing with that.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/08 3:55 p.m.

Per said wee!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/5/08 3:56 p.m.

[Colbert] Why do you hate America? [/Colbert]

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/5/08 4:29 p.m.
To me, political discourse works best face-to-face, where you're forced to be civil and respectful.

I know a big drunk Canadian who would beg to differ.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
05lKQXFDmk5ooBYtuBYm0WuYBBcjDMNBEMWGMboVoIrRuGw3FK4nYowskMGCpiru