1 2
carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/3/09 11:17 a.m.

I was just wondering how the name of Spam became associated with unsolicited emails? We don't call unsolicited sales calls on the phone Spam for what is basically the same thing and it's junk mail when it comes from the mailman, so what's the genesis of SPAM?

Carson
Carson Dork
12/3/09 11:21 a.m.

It's from the Monty Python skit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

I'm not kidding.

Lots of junk and only a little of what you want.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/09 11:27 a.m.

I've heard it's from the old Monty Python skit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Nothing gets done because of the SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/3/09 11:40 a.m.

Whatever you guys say. I guess that's as good as any other reason, but I don't get it. I watched the skit and that was one of the Monty Python skits that would have caused me to change the channels. I loved Monty Python but just like SNL very little of it is funny. Most is tedious and you put up with it to get to the gems.

Wasn't this skit done in the pre-email era?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/3/09 11:47 a.m.

Well, mostly. Email actually dates back much farther than you would think... decades before the web. And remember, geeks have always loved Python.

This site is built using the Python language--another nod their way. Actually, programming history is LITTERED with Monty Python references.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/3/09 11:51 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Wasn't this skit done in the pre-email era?

You might say that. When this skit was done, the home computer to have (for most folks) was a Tandy. And you had to put it together yourself.

Edit: Tim put it together right. In those days, only a few people had the access or knowledge to deal with what would become the intraweb. Military installations and certain Universities, etc. Python transcends all things geek, as does Star Trek.

SPAM actually stands for SPicy hAM, which, if prepared correctly tastes almost as good as bacon..

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/3/09 12:09 p.m.

I like Spam (The meat product) My wife thinks I'm nuts, but there is a lot you can do with it. I have never tried it in my computer, though.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
12/3/09 12:18 p.m.

Spam on your computer gets everything all greasy.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/3/09 12:27 p.m.

They now have Spam Lite. But based upon the label, the fat content is anything but lite except by comparison to the original spam. Spam makes Bacon look lite.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/09 1:11 p.m.

I've heard that SPAM is very popular in areas that were recently cannibalistic. Read into that what you will. Even if it's not true, I want it to be.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/3/09 1:12 p.m.

Now it's on the internet so it must be true.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/09 1:20 p.m.

They call it SPAM to make this picture work:

From Newstados Unidos

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
12/3/09 1:26 p.m.

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife: I don't like spam!

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/3/09 3:08 p.m.

Real popular in Hawaii, since WW2.

minimac
minimac Dork
12/3/09 4:06 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: ..... geeks have always loved Python. This site is built using the Python language--another nod their way. Actually, programming history is LITTERED with Monty Python references.

Is this why were having problems loading the pages and threads?

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/3/09 4:41 p.m.
minimac wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: ..... geeks have always loved Python. This site is built using the Python language--another nod their way. Actually, programming history is LITTERED with Monty Python references.

Spam adds 502 grams of fat for every attempt to access GRM, 504 grams if you try around lunch-time.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
12/3/09 4:42 p.m.
minimac wrote:

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Will
Will Reader
12/3/09 7:13 p.m.

Our chief weapon is surprise...and fear! Fear and surprise, and...

mapper
mapper New Reader
12/3/09 8:13 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Well, mostly. Email actually dates back much farther than you would think... decades before the web. And remember, geeks have always loved Python. This site is built using the Python language--another nod their way. Actually, programming history is LITTERED with Monty Python references.

Python has become the supported scripting language for ESRI's ArcGIS. I have been writing scripts with snippets I've picked up but have the O'Reilly "Learning Python" book sitting on the table waiting to spend some quality time with me. I'm not a programmer but I play one at work.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
12/3/09 9:14 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: No one expects the Spamish Inquisition!

Fixed

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
12/3/09 9:54 p.m.
minimac wrote:

Dammit you stole my joke.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
12/3/09 10:11 p.m.

Lol I am watching Monty Python right now.

it's not pinin,' it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he would be pushing up the daisies! Its metabolical processes are of interest only to historians! It's hopped the twig! It's shuffled off this mortal coil! It's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This.... is an EX-PARROT!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/3/09 10:53 p.m.

I was always told Specialy Prepared American Meat...

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
12/3/09 10:58 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: I was always told Specialy Prepared American Meat...

Marketing propaganda, trying to put the best spin on the packaging of the meat pieces that fell on the floor.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/3/09 11:24 p.m.

Slimy Product Approximating Meat

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aWjoko1FJHqhcYhkZE5Apnv8ZEQhNCKmV23kbHtGnwwJYB2k70sROGCVPGEPu8bj