1 2 3 4 ... 6
DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/11/13 3:39 p.m.

Don't we all know the only good pizza is from people that have moms that grew up in New York, but they themselves grew up in Denver, then moved to MI?
End of debate.

And am I the only one that hates hearing Pizza called "pie"? I know that it is in just about every sense of the word, but it just makes me cringe.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/11/13 3:45 p.m.

Nearby shop sells pizza raw. In a box, dough, cheese toppings.

It's groceries, non-taxable. Don't get no fresher than your own oven.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/11/13 5:31 p.m.

I can go either way on pizza. Thin new york napkins, or the casserole that's served in chi-town. AS LONG AS THE INGREDIENTS ARE GOOD. I know a lot of places like to use E36 M3 ingredients and pile them on, masking the flavor- hopefully. This goes double for a thin slice, there isn't a ton to get in the way of it tasting like E36 M3.

And as far as left out pizza, I refrigerate mine, sometimes. I won't shy away from a slice that's been left out, but I have to put things in the fridge. Little oven time fixes it right up.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/11/13 5:35 p.m.

Pizzas is like sex: even when its bad, it's still pizza.

drsmooth
drsmooth Reader
8/11/13 5:50 p.m.

I also couldn't give two craps about the crust. It's there to hold together the sauce and toppings, but good sauce is the key. When I make it at home. I use 12" tortilla wraps put on the sauce then cheese and toppings. I place it in a un-oiled non stick frying pan and cook on low to medium heat until the cheese is melted adjusting the temprature to avoid burning the bottom. It is the crispiest thinnest crust pizza you can possibly make, you would need a micrometer to measure the thickness.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
8/11/13 6:03 p.m.

Have to assume magic provides the change, but it's been nearly a decade since I've had pizza so I'm probably not qualified to comment.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
8/11/13 6:15 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Don't we all know the only good pizza is from people that have moms that grew up in New York, but they themselves grew up in Denver, then moved to MI? End of debate. And am I the only one that hates hearing Pizza called "pie"? I know that it is in just about every sense of the word, but it just makes me cringe.

Brian Reagan has a good bit on that. I think it was on Dr. Katz. Pretty sure it's on youtube.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/11/13 6:36 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
DrBoost wrote: Don't we all know the only good pizza is from people that have moms that grew up in New York, but they themselves grew up in Denver, then moved to MI? End of debate. And am I the only one that hates hearing Pizza called "pie"? I know that it is in just about every sense of the word, but it just makes me cringe.
Brian Reagan has a good bit on that. I think it was on Dr. Katz. Pretty sure it's on youtube.

That whole thing I typed was an inside joke between Logdog and I, but I think I know the bit you're talking about. It's hilarious. Then again, everything Regan does is great.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/11/13 6:45 p.m.
drsmooth wrote: I also couldn't give two craps about the crust. It's there to hold together the sauce and toppings, but good sauce is the key. When I make it at home. I use 12" tortilla wraps put on the sauce then cheese and toppings. I place it in a un-oiled non stick frying pan and cook on low to medium heat until the cheese is melted adjusting the temprature to avoid burning the bottom. It is the crispiest thinnest crust pizza you can possibly make, you would need a micrometer to measure the thickness.

Bingo

Me too

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
8/11/13 7:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I can go either way on pizza. Thin new york napkins, or the casserole that's served in chi-town. AS LONG AS THE INGREDIENTS ARE GOOD. I know a lot of places like to use E36 M3 ingredients and pile them on, masking the flavor- hopefully. This goes double for a thin slice, there isn't a ton to get in the way of it tasting like E36 M3.

I agree with this 100%.

I love every type of pizza that's out there. NY style thin crust, Chicago style Deep dish, Italian style wood stove stuff, etc. Hell, I even like frozen pizza, but as long as the ingredients are right.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/11/13 7:48 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Nearby shop sells pizza raw. In a box, dough, cheese toppings. It's groceries, non-taxable. Don't get no fresher than your own oven.

Papa Murphys. Hell they even take food stamps (EBT) here, cause it's groceries.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/13 9:30 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Key to good leftover pizza: Leave it out. Once it goes on the fridge, it's ruined, IMO.

We've left pizzas out since I was a little kid and haven't gotten sick yet. One shop I worked at where we were broke we'd buy a few on Mondays when they were half price and they would sit 2-3 days on a workbench.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/11/13 9:40 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu0SpWmvwJM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

beans
beans HalfDork
8/12/13 7:53 a.m.

As a single mid-20's something, I survive off the stuff. Some pizza is better cold. The pizza I make is berkeleying delicious no matter what. I use beer when making the dough.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/12/13 7:57 a.m.

If i need to use a fork to eat it.

Then berkeley you, that's not a pizza. That's a berkeleying casserole.

If it's baked IN a dish/pan instead of ON a stone/sheet, then it's a berkeleying casserole.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/12/13 8:01 a.m.

Am I the only person who realizes it's just bread, cheese and sauce slapped together in varying combinations? Cold or hot, it's really just hangover food that someone delivers and you can leave on the counter from the nite before and not get sick.

It's as boring and overpriced as pasta.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
8/12/13 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I disagree, but then again I'm the guy who lets his deep dish cool, then I eat it with my hands.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/12/13 8:19 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Am I the only person who realizes it's just bread, cheese and sauce slapped together in varying combinations? It's as boring and overpriced as pasta.

DIE HEATHEN SCUM! (gay slur)

Swank Force One wrote: If it's baked IN a dish/pan instead of ON a stone/sheet, then it's a berkeleying casserole.

This I agree with. I don't mind eating Chicago-style pizza sometimes, but I can't think of it as "pizza". That's a "pie".

A pizza is best with a crust 1/4" thick or less, crisp but not crunchy, with a good tear and chew. People who think the crust is only a vehicle are badly missing the point. All parts of the pizza must work harmoniously for the true magic to come out.

Good sauce and cheese, and minimal but good-quality toppings are key. I used to be a "more is more" kind of guy, but I have gradually come to appreciate the zen goodness of just a few toppings (or even just cheese and sauce) baked on a good wood- or coal-fired hearth.

On the leftover topic, I have to say it depends on the pizza. Some are good cold, but some need a few minutes in the oven. Microwave only if no other options are available.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/12/13 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Commie pinko.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
8/12/13 3:24 p.m.
Duke wrote: A pizza is best with a crust 1/4" thick or less, crisp but not crunchy, with a good tear and chew. People who think the crust is only a vehicle are badly missing the point. *All* parts of the pizza must work harmoniously for the true magic to come out. Good sauce and cheese, and minimal but good-quality toppings are key. I used to be a "more is more" kind of guy, but I have gradually come to appreciate the zen goodness of just a few toppings (or even just cheese and sauce) baked on a good wood- or coal-fired hearth.

This. Absolutely. Simplicity and quality in everything: ingredients, preparation, cooking device.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/12/13 4:00 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: In reply to Toyman01: Then what you need is a bowl of meat and cheese

We've got a place around here that actually serves bowls of Italian sausage, pepperoni, meatballs, pizza sauce, green peppers, and onions, topped with gobs of mozzarella. It's a dish of pizza toppings minus the crust. And it is tasty.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/12/13 4:10 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The only thing the crust is for, is to keep the toppings from hitting the floor on the way to your mouth.

There you go. If it was socially acceptable to just eat a giant pile of cheese and meat, that would be the go to. As it isn't we have pizza.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/12/13 4:13 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Key to good leftover pizza: Leave it out. Once it goes on the fridge, it's ruined, IMO.

Yes.

Also, little known fact* - While leaving cheese out is bad, and leaving meat out is bad, they actually do a double negative thing when you leave out a pizza, making it completely safe.

*not an actual fact.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/12/13 5:43 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: There you go. If it was socially acceptable to just eat a giant pile of cheese and meat, that would be the go to. As it isn't we have pizza.

You've got to try the Bronx Bomber at Johnny's New York Pizza, then.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/12/13 6:42 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Am I the only person who realizes it's just bread, cheese and sauce slapped together in varying combinations? Cold or hot, it's really just hangover food that someone delivers and you can leave on the counter from the nite before and not get sick. It's as boring and overpriced as pasta.

No. You are 100% correct.

Pasta is my favourite food though.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DP9KIhE2bN3AeI23yJClXQL46w5AWvqAqci0ub6gUZoBFjg3sscGX7ecwc0sUa8u