ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
6/15/16 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

So, back to helicopter parenting?

Enyar
Enyar Dork
6/15/16 12:18 p.m.
stafford1500 wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: My standing assumption is that every body of water in Florida has like, 10 gators minimum in it.
Except the ones that are saltwater... then it's sharks.

Or crocs. Or flesh eating bacteria. Or nimrods on jetskis.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/15/16 12:18 p.m.

FWIW, gators are on the payroll in WDW

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/15/16 12:26 p.m.

Common sense is unfortunately a rarer commodity than anti-matter these days I guess. I've not spent much time in Florida, or around gators outside of pens, but I'm not nearly afraid of them being in the water as the pythons down there. To be honest, I thought the gators in FL were like the bears here, used to people and fairly domesticated for ancient wild animals.

Those giant snakes y'all have living in the waters down there though... uh uh, almost enough to keep me from trying to make the challenge next year.

I'm sure it's hilarious for everyone that happens to see, but I freely admit I scream like a little bitch and take off like a top fuel dragster finding snakes by accident, let alone as big as those pythons get? No way in hell.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
6/15/16 12:26 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote:
stafford1500 wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: My standing assumption is that every body of water in Florida has like, 10 gators minimum in it.
Except the ones that are saltwater... then it's sharks.
Also, Crocs. And not just the horrible footwear.

Can't leave out snakes either......especially if they get on a motherberkeleying plane.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/15/16 12:36 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: So, back to helicopter parenting?

I'll take that over the "someone else will take care of my offspring for me" parenting technique that seems to be all the rage.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
6/15/16 12:47 p.m.

Florida's problem is that it's flat. Flat, swampy, and humid. If it had some mountains it be paradise.

That and the place has been so badly changed by humans that most not familiar with its flora and fauna are lulled into a false sense of security that the state is still predominantly a swamp that wants to kill you.

I'd love to live there for its weather and its beaches, but Florida continues to be more crazy every year. It's as though the more "people friendly" we make it, the less friendly people become.

I'm still thinking of just hopping the state and heading out to Puerto Rico.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/15/16 12:48 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: An example of Florida being crazy and needing some serious help was the report last year of this one guy disemboweling his girlfriend for saying her ex's name during "play time." In either case, the results are very sad.

That was actually my point. The allegator isn't an example of crazy people, just a crazy occurance. It seems that everyweek there's some bizarre incident in The Sunshine State (that is Florida, right?).
Up here, if a dude is found riding piblic transportation, while wearing a tu-tu, and eating his neighbors remains, that's crazy and some serous stuff is about to go down. In Florida, it's Tuesday.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/15/16 12:52 p.m.

Wasn't it florida that had the shark attack a few years back where Jaws Jr. chomped off a kids arm but the uncle (billy bad ass) dragged said predatory fish from the surf and beat it to death with his bare hands?

Edit: checked, it was Pensacola (so really south Alabama) and they managed to see the arm back on.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
6/15/16 12:54 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Normality is boring

Enyar
Enyar Dork
6/15/16 12:57 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Wasn't it florida that had the shark attack a few years back where Jaws Jr. chomped off a kids arm but the uncle (billy bad ass) dragged said predatory fish from the surf and beat it to death with his bare hands?

Billy badass was actually Hillbilly Bob that caught a different but similar shark the following day and killed it for fun.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
6/15/16 1:03 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Florida's problem is that it's flat. Flat, swampy, and humid. If it had some mountains it be paradise. That and the place has been so badly changed by humans that most not familiar with its flora and fauna are lulled into a false sense of security that the state is still predominantly a swamp that wants to kill you. I'd love to live there for its weather and its beaches, but Florida continues to be more crazy every year. It's as though the more "people friendly" we make it, the less friendly people become. I'm still thinking of just hopping the state and heading out to Puerto Rico.

It really had a ton of potential. An outdoorsman oasis. I cheaper California. Unfortunately it's turned into suburban sprawl and a traffic nightmare for a bunch of weirdos.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/15/16 1:18 p.m.

Flordia state laws require publishing of police and fire response calls, ALL OF THEM.

IE it is easy for newspapers to scan through and look for crazy stuff that happens in every single state but only gets published in Florida.

Also Meth and old people and idiots on Vacation who cannot find a real place to vacation and Florida is the default.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/15/16 1:25 p.m.

Have they started throwing pigs into the water yet in an effort to determine if that gator is Muslim?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/15/16 1:34 p.m.

Wait...I am going to Florida this Friday. You guys are making me worried. At least my presence should up the normal people count.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/15/16 1:59 p.m.

Listen people---- if you are camping in the Yukon Territories, you prepare yourself for Grizzly bear encounters. If you are walking in Moab Utah, or Colorado, watch out and be aware of Mountain Lions. If you are in Africa--- prepare for hippos, lions and hyenas. If you visit Florida, be aware that not every spot on the planet has been eradicated of predators. We are not always at the top of the food chain, and if you have children, it's your job to protect your family from those predators. (human and otherwise)

Yes, it's a horrible tragedy what happened to that kid. I'm sure the guilt the parents feel is overwhelming. Take home message---- be aware of your surroundings, be aware of things that can kill you, and try to put yourself in as safe a situation as possible. Never, never let a child, dog, or other small animal near fresh water in Florida--- ANYWHERE in Florida----especially at night. Alligators wait in shallow water and ambush their prey on the waterside. Every parent traveling to this state with kids should be aware of this. Also--- assume that every body of fresh water has alligators in it---- even on golf courses, and yes....at Disney.

Also--- if you are in the ocean (especially between Flagler and Ponce Inlet) and it's dusk or dawn with lots of baitfish, in water that is murkier than normal----- get the Hell out of the water. Where there are lots of little fish--- bigger fish follow--- then sharks. If you see birds feeding, and the water "boiling" with fish----- take a break, there will be sharks around. They don't want you---- but they may take a bite by mistaking you for a fish. Also---no shiny objects (like jewelry) while in the water. If you shine--- you become bait.

And the big snakes are in S. Florida--- we don't really get many here in Central Florida near the coast.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/16 2:11 p.m.

My family has inhabited Florida since before it was a state (1845, for those wondering), and it has always been a place to keep your eyes open for things that want to kill you. The dangerous stuff has changed a little bit more toward human over that time frame, but it still is a place that provides lots of dangerous stuff. Keep in mind the wild part of Florida has not been paved over, just pushed into tighter concentrations right next to the paved over areas. That and the fact that the people are packed into the 'paved' areas ever and ever tighter means that when something/someone goes a little off the tracks it makes a big impact.
As noted in another post the rest of the country has different, but similar issues. Just pay attention to the surroundings. I think most folks get used to not being IN nature as much as you get in Florida and don't notice that the rest of the environment is warning about dangers that are right under your nose.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/15/16 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

You neglected to mention the Panthers

Humans not being the top of the food chain is one of the things I like about Florida, it's like America's Australian corner. That being said I couldn't do dog ownership in Florida.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/16 2:20 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Up here, if a dude is found riding piblic transportation, while wearing a tu-tu, and eating his neighbors remains, that's crazy and some serous stuff is about to go down. In Florida, it's Tuesday.

I bet that isn't too unusual but Florida seems more eager than most to share it with the world.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
6/15/16 3:04 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Listen people---- if you are camping in the Yukon Territories, you prepare yourself for Grizzly bear encounters. If you are walking in Moab Utah, or Colorado, watch out and be aware of Mountain Lions. If you are in Africa--- prepare for hippos, lions and hyenas. If you visit Florida, be aware that not every spot on the planet has been eradicated of predators. We are not always at the top of the food chain, and if you have children, it's your job to protect your family from those predators. (human and otherwise) Yes, it's a horrible tragedy what happened to that kid. I'm sure the guilt the parents feel is overwhelming. Take home message---- be aware of your surroundings, be aware of things that can kill you, and try to put yourself in as safe a situation as possible. Never, never let a child, dog, or other small animal near fresh water in Florida--- ANYWHERE in Florida----especially at night. Alligators wait in shallow water and ambush their prey on the waterside. Every parent traveling to this state with kids should be aware of this. Also--- assume that every body of fresh water has alligators in it---- even on golf courses, and yes....at Disney. Also--- if you are in the ocean (especially between Flagler and Ponce Inlet) and it's dusk or dawn with lots of baitfish, in water that is murkier than normal----- get the Hell out of the water. Where there are lots of little fish--- bigger fish follow--- then sharks. If you see birds feeding, and the water "boiling" with fish----- take a break, there will be sharks around. They don't want you---- but they may take a bite by mistaking you for a fish. Also---no shiny objects (like jewelry) while in the water. If you shine--- you become bait. And the big snakes are in S. Florida--- we don't really get many here in Central Florida near the coast.

That's what REASONABLE people would think. The people moving from N Dakota to their new subdivision in the middle of the swamp are not reasonable. They build their house, realize that the mosquitos and alligators are atrocious and then band together to remove the ecosystem they built on top of. I feel for the family that was trying to enjoy a vacation here in Florida, I really do. Unfortunately I think the biggest loss here is it's another loss for the environment because we just got another group of irrational parents who are going to keep their kids out of the woods which means that many less supporters out there to protect this environment.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/16 3:27 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Wait...I am going to Florida this Friday. You guys are making me worried. At least my presence should up the normal people count.

you're normal?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/15/16 3:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Wait...I am going to Florida this Friday. You guys are making me worried. At least my presence should up the normal people count.
you're normal?

Not even close, but that should tell you something.

Also.... in obviously poor taste..... what beverage goes great with baby back ribs? Gatorade.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/15/16 3:33 p.m.

Dog ownership in FL isn't bad---- Rufus the wonder dog is 13 now, and he's never had a problem with critters. Never had a problem with Olaf my previous dog and he made it to 13 as well.

The key is not to have a tiny little dog that an owl can carry off, or a gator looks at as an easy snack. Larger dogs are usually pretty safe, unless they encounter a truly large alligator--- which aren't nearly as common as the 4-6 foot guys scampering around. Like watching a child, you just don't let them go near the edge of the water-- especially at dusk or at night. I'm not keen on letting my dogs swim in fresh water down here--- the risk is just too high.

Surprisingly too---- mosquitos aren't bad at all here in the Daytona area--- as long as you are near the beach. Head inland to the swamps.....and yes it gets bad. Still not as bad as the bird-sized mosquitos in the Northwoods of Wisconsin and Minnesota though!

Agreed that folks just don't realize what the habitat is like down here---- but who's responsibility is it to teach them what they are getting themselves into? Research a place before you visit / move. It's not like Florida is keeping it's alligator population as a secret.

Panthers too--- but I haven't seen one of those yet. And don't forget about the Bobcats! But those don't attack humans......I don't think.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
6/15/16 3:40 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I thought the pythons were going to kill all the gators.

But then you have to release gorillas to kill the snakes.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/15/16 3:57 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: I thought the pythons were going to kill all the gators.
But then you have to release gorillas to kill the snakes.

but to control the Gorillas you need T-rex....

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BAd8LyvGrqUF0UOpxYQZp2MA13SJd0aLaSPLky2Pl4hqhZmlnAhyIjAoisUipZEn