shifty
shifty New Reader
11/18/08 11:42 p.m.

I just missed out on a '92 Toyota Corolla All-Trac wagon for $1400! So i'm thinking of other cars I should be on the look out for. I need something for commuting in bad weather (60 miles each way in the Columbia River gorge in Oregon). And it has to be a wagon.

$2500 doesn't get much of a Subaru around here - they hold their value pretty well.

Lots of Volvo 245's though - how well do they do in the snow? I had a '70 145 that I really miss, never drove it in the snow.

Duende
Duende Reader
11/19/08 12:13 a.m.

You and I are both looking, bud, I'm in Oregon too. There are a ton of Volvos around here, and IPD being so close gives me a little comfort.

seann
seann Reader
11/19/08 10:23 a.m.

Wow that's a pretty commute! You get a few icy days on 84 every year so I would just recommend some good tires. Oregon lets you use studs but I've had really good luck with Michelin ice x studless tires on my 93 protege in super slick wet ice. Of course I haven't really used anything else. They have stiffer sidewalls and are suppose to hydroplane less than blizzaks. That's important because It rains like crazy in cascade locks and those deep ruts always fill up with water and it gets pretty scary. I used to hate passing trucks through that stretch when it was raining. I've done that drive many many times (Portland to Goldendale, WA) and the hydroplaning always gave me more trouble than snow and ice.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/19/08 10:31 a.m.

I've done that commute tons of times, oddly enough the car that I had the least trouble with was my old 944, once you got to a certain speed the car kinda sucked down to the ground. It didn't get bumped around by the wind or the passing of trucks, it was very stable even during the winter.

I'm on the hunt for a decent older Audi for my commuter rig.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/08 11:33 a.m.

Camry all-tracs are too rare to be winter beaters :(

Just grab any ol' FWD crapmobile - instant winter beater. I'd suggest a late model Ford Focus but those sometimes don't make it off the lot without a breakdown, even in good weather.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/19/08 1:19 p.m.

EJ22E-powered Subaru Legacy wagon. Be sure to get the manual. They're cheap.. at least they are in this area.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/19/08 5:11 p.m.

FWD with a couple good snow tires would work for most people.

Cheap Subies are hit or miss around here too.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/20/08 12:30 a.m.

Civic w/ cheapie skinny snow tires will pull though anything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XLehpvXjuFM80oMb2fVKRZr6Gv1SZ0gURjTagXWhXAw7dxxqTHJvs6W2qLeDNLxX