1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/22 6:46 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

This era of cars just screams "Functionally alcoholic private detective" but in the absolute best possible way. 

I was thinking Uncle Buck, very similar vibes. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/23/22 9:25 p.m.

One may think that is a gutsy move, but I also remember our F trucks started when it was -20F back home when I was growing up in the early 80s (these were 70's or 60's trucks).  Power steering wasn't happy, but never got stranded.

But a call out to all the posters here who have lost power- this is a whole lot worse than other power outages, being so very, very cold.  So be careful out there.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/22 6:23 a.m.

The first free car I turned down was a late 70s Cougar.  I couldn't imagine myself driving it as a 17 year old.  Weirdly, I can absolutely imagine myself driving it as a 52 year old . . .

I don't think the aesthetics have improved, and I've had eye surgery so it's not that my eyeseight is worse.  But nostalgia is a powerful drug.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/22 8:18 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

21 year old shows up to work at Chipotle at -8 degrees in a 79 T-Bird.  That should be posted in the housing thread to show a guy that sees the ladder and picks it up.

Reminds me of when I was in my 20s and I often drove my Samurai to work through deep floods, and used its offroad capability to take shortcuts around apocalyptic traffic jams. It's that kind of frugality, self-reliance, and work ethic that made me the bootstrap-lovin' runaway success story I am to- OH WAIT

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MK3nwIMOtNsKpuGZ7IAqWms5XZI99Opqkc7A9SeUr7qne0KFkkpUCpmbkc8jElcj