1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/18/13 8:22 a.m.
gamby wrote: The Ken Block hate is all just the spiteful little keyboard jockeys who wish they were in his shoes.

Why are we talking about Ken Block in the thread about professional race car drivers with vaginas? I'm not saying you are wrong... it's just not polite of you to imply those things without offering some evidence. I mean - he may, in fact, be a woman but I am certain she is not a professional race car driver.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
2/18/13 8:31 a.m.

Who else is wondering which of the back markers will try to achieve fame and glory by putting her into the wall? It has happened in the past.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/18/13 8:35 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Javelin wrote:
BARNCA wrote: Courtney Force qualified number one this weekend in a car that is about 8 thousand times harder to drive....
A-berking-men!!!!
This. And a black guy won the Top Fuel championship last year. Not only that, he's a classy guy who shuts down anyone who wants to talk about his color. He's an amazing guy and a world class champion. As far as girls, Shirley paved the way DECADES ago in the NHRA and not only had to wrestle ill handling dangerous machines, but also fight tooth and nail to get any respect. NASCAR has a girl who enters the race and it's all over everything. She qualifies #1 and it's back all over everything. Just wait until she farts or something. Your media, missing the forest for the trees for decades...

still sounds like Danica hate to me ... but right now it's the best thing going for NASCAR .... attendance is down, TV audiance is down .... what else do they have to sell the brand ? get people all hot and bothered and at least talking about the brand ?

right now she is far and away the best thing NASCAR has going ... if she were to win a race ... oh wow ...

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/18/13 8:45 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Javelin wrote:
BARNCA wrote: Courtney Force qualified number one this weekend in a car that is about 8 thousand times harder to drive....
A-berking-men!!!!
This. And a black guy won the Top Fuel championship last year. Not only that, he's a classy guy who shuts down anyone who wants to talk about his color. He's an amazing guy and a world class champion. As far as girls, Shirley paved the way DECADES ago in the NHRA and not only had to wrestle ill handling dangerous machines, but also fight tooth and nail to get any respect. NASCAR has a girl who enters the race and it's all over everything. She qualifies #1 and it's back all over everything. Just wait until she farts or something. Your media, missing the forest for the trees for decades...
still sounds like Danica hate to me ... but right now it's the best thing going for NASCAR .... attendance is down, TV audiance is down .... what else do they have to sell the brand ? get people all hot and bothered and at least talking about the brand ? right now she is far and away the best thing NASCAR has going ... if she were to win a race ... oh wow ...

Not Danica hate at all.

Listen to it this way. Antron won the championship last year in the final round of the final race. It was a big deal because it was very close. In addition, the guy in 2nd has won a championship by winning that exact round and setting the national record at the same time. It was quite exciting.

If Danica were to do something similar, it would be similarly great. If men have accomplished what she is accomplishing now, what's to be excited about? In other words, if we're for treating genders equally, then we can't adjust our expectations. If a guy who's had a few seasons under his belt after an open wheel career got the pole at Daytona, would it be news? Then this shouldn't be either. No disrespect at all. I've never even seen her race. I am simply saying that she's not paving the way, she's not doing anything that hasn't been done. It's hard to get on the pole at Daytona. Good job for her and her team. The same exact 'good job' I'd give to a male drive accomplishing the same thing.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/18/13 9:03 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: If Danica were to do something similar, it would be similarly great. If men have accomplished what she is accomplishing now, what's to be excited about? In other words, if we're for treating genders equally, then we can't adjust our expectations. If a guy who's had a few seasons under his belt after an open wheel career got the pole at Daytona, would it be news? Then this shouldn't be either. No disrespect at all. I've never even seen her race. I am simply saying that she's not paving the way, she's not doing anything that hasn't been done. It's hard to get on the pole at Daytona. Good job for her and her team. The same exact 'good job' I'd give to a male drive accomplishing the same thing.

if we were treating the genders equally then this would have happened years ago ... and you're right it wouldn't be a big deal ... but we haven't treated the genders equally .... ever ... ( at least as far as racing is concerned ) so yes it is a big deal .... especially for NASCAR for the reasons I pointed out

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/18/13 9:04 a.m.
wbjones wrote: she was pretty darn good in FF before moving on to Atlantic and Indy ... what she seems to lack is the confidence to race "close" and be ready to take advantage of the driver in front screwing up ...

Her record says otherwise

Rowdy Burns: You run good.

Cole Trickle: Thank you.

Rowdy Burns: Now go get your own car and we'll see how you do in a crowd.

It has been said here many times, Danica is a product spokesmen. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

I just like racing, and in enjoying racing, I tend not to focus on the back markers unless they are in a good fight. That doesn't change if they look good in a bikini.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/18/13 9:06 a.m.

the jokes continue ...

The reporting on this is hilarious. Fox News' reporter just said: "42 men will line up behind Danica". Danica said "she was waiting for the action to start".

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/18/13 9:13 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
tuna55 wrote: If Danica were to do something similar, it would be similarly great. If men have accomplished what she is accomplishing now, what's to be excited about? In other words, if we're for treating genders equally, then we can't adjust our expectations. If a guy who's had a few seasons under his belt after an open wheel career got the pole at Daytona, would it be news? Then this shouldn't be either. No disrespect at all. I've never even seen her race. I am simply saying that she's not paving the way, she's not doing anything that hasn't been done. It's hard to get on the pole at Daytona. Good job for her and her team. The same exact 'good job' I'd give to a male drive accomplishing the same thing.
if we were treating the genders equally then this would have happened years ago ... and you're right it wouldn't be a big deal ... but we haven't treated the genders equally .... ever ... ( at least as far as racing is concerned ) so yes it is a big deal .... especially for NASCAR for the reasons I pointed out

Fair enough. I guess what I am saying is that I am treating them equally in this instance, so I am not especially excited. If she starts setting records, winning multiple championships in a row, then we'll talk. As for now, she has nothing to get me excited (hehe hehe) over a Jimmy Johnson or a Jeff Gordon (dating myself a bit in my NASCAR knowledge, presumably there are newer successful drivers).

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/18/13 10:15 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Javelin wrote:
A-berking-men!!!!

When Shirley started drag racing at a 1/8th mile track, her nickname was Cha-Cha. Well known in her circle.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/13 10:19 a.m.

Danica seems to perform best on long-fast tracks that reward precision, and speed.

Say what you will, but she was very competitive at Indy where patience and mental stamina are key. With room to run, she can find the "fast" line and hold onto more speed than a lot of her competitors.

She has always had a rough time dealing with traffic.(especially in NASCAR) I'm glad to see her running strongly at Daytona, but this does reek of a PR stunt, in a series where there are always some cars that are "more equal" than others.

I hope she does well, as Danica obviously has talent. I don't like the fact that she markets herself as a sex symbol, but that is her choice. I find it a bit sad, as she had the chance (and talent) to show young girls that you don't have to whore yourself out to be successful, but then went after the easy money.

And chances are she isn't really dating Stenhouse Jr., but that it is yet more publicity created by the NASCAR media machine. Have to have a soap opera type story right?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/18/13 10:37 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: And chances are she isn't really dating Stenhouse Jr., but that it is yet more publicity created by the NASCAR media machine. Have to have a soap opera type story right?

Well, NASCRAP is the redneck racing version of a soap opera.....

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/18/13 12:08 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: And chances are she isn't really dating Stenhouse Jr., but that it is yet more publicity created by the NASCAR media machine. Have to have a soap opera type story right?
Well, NASCRAP is the redneck racing version of a soap opera.....

There's a WWE wrestling comparison here somewhere, but I need more caffeine.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
2/18/13 1:11 p.m.

Antron Brown did it on motorcycles first

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/18/13 1:16 p.m.

Danica can't drive.... Check
Success is the car/team... Check
Attention is because shes female ... Check
She does/doesn't deserve what she has.. Check
NASCAR is boring/stupid... Check

All that has to be added is a debate over whether Danica is hot or not and we will have rehashed every thread about her from the last 3 years.

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/18/13 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

I think Danica is a strong 7 maybe even a solid 8.

Her driving record and attention in comparison to a male with a similar success to attention ratio speaks to why this thread even exists.

Will Power for the win.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/18/13 1:29 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to Type Q: I think Danica is a strong 7 maybe even a solid 8.

Now we have covered everything. We even got a bonus Ken Block tangent

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/13 1:50 p.m.
Type Q wrote: Danica can't drive.... Check Success is the car/team... Check Attention is because shes female ... Check She does/doesn't deserve what she has.. Check NASCAR is boring/stupid... Check All that has to be added is a debate over whether Danica is hot or not and we will have rehashed every thread about her from the last 3 years.

I wonder what kind of conditioner she uses?

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/18/13 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

Glad to be of assistance

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
2/18/13 1:54 p.m.

I think this belongs here:

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/18/13 1:59 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: I think this belongs here:

Not really, Miss Stoke actually wins.

Allison Stokke Athletic Career

At age 15, Stokke won a California state championship, and broke several national records in her age division. As a senior at Newport Harbor High School, she set the second best mark in the nation for that calender year with a 13'7" vault. In the CIF State Championship finals she finished 4th after a leg injury interfered with her ability to sprint down the runway. After being highly recruited, Stokke now vaults for the University of California at Berkeley.

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
2/18/13 2:00 p.m.

Also doesn't belong here because she wins...alot.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 2:24 p.m.

Also doesn't belong, because she will be winning a lot.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/18/13 2:25 p.m.

It's rare to have a driver that is good at anything other than driving in a way that helps their advertisers sell product. Danica is very rare in the fact that she has driving talent and a level of beauty that is actually useful in forwarding her career. On top of that, she's a personality that is generally fantastic on camera. She is everything that a sponsor could possibly want. Would it be nice if she could pull out that last half percent and win some big races? Sure it would, but she's driving cars, selling product for people, and getting paid.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
2/18/13 2:28 p.m.

Show of hands:

How many of you have won the poll of a NASCAR race?

Yeah, get back to me when you have. My god, could we be more sterotypically sexist? Give her a break already. She puts herself out there, sure. So talk about her in a swim suit and all that all you like. But the whole "she can't drive" nonsense from a bunch of wannabes is stupid.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
2/18/13 2:33 p.m.

I just don't think any driver who exploits there looks or poses in skimpy clothes can be any good.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
llRlCndF60nY5HLi7cSJ9jS8G19nnrItYkogvS4R8vDR03B9p6brulQYkYZtsp6D