1 2
iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/12/16 10:39 a.m.

JEEP has confirmed that there will be a pickup in the new Wrangler line next year.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/16 11:21 a.m.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/12/16 11:24 a.m.

How has this not made perfect sense for years now?
Through three other corporate owners, we have still not seen this happy. I can never really tell why.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/12/16 11:33 a.m.

Wonder if it'll have a solid front axle?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/12/16 11:35 a.m.
Duke wrote:

I hate Jeeps in general. If they make this, and it looks like this, I might go out and buy it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/12/16 11:37 a.m.

I could have sworn that the pickup was supposed to be 2015 model. But, wait and see.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/12/16 11:40 a.m.

Wonder how different this model will be from the current platform???

As much as I greatly dislike, hate is just the right word but not quite, as a pickup, I'd buy.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
1/12/16 12:01 p.m.

It will probably cost $45k.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/12/16 12:02 p.m.

With the CAFE requirements, I can't see this happening.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/16 12:21 p.m.

It's supposed to be a 2018 model after the JK refresh (called the JL) in 2017. There has been lots of speculation for awhile with Marchionne moving Cherokee production from the Toledo plant (where the Wrangler is built) which signals another product line coming in. A few days ago, he hinted at the Wrangler pickup. I guess he finally confirmed it today.

I'm pretty sure it will still be solid axle front and rear. The 3.2L Pentastar might be replacing the 3.6L and a diesel might finally be coming. I also heard that the 8 speed auto might be used. There will be more aluminum used in the body as well but I highly doubt the entire tub will be aluminum (ala F150). They are also making changes to the styling like laying the windshield back a bit and sloping the grill for better aerodynamics and ultimately better fuel economy.

Can you tell I'm excited? LOL

Make mine a crew cab Sport with the 8 speed in Tank green please

Dave
Dave Reader
1/12/16 12:25 p.m.

So now that no one buys a basic 2 door regular cab truck Jeep is bringing one out? Should have done it ten years ago when every truck wasn't a giant super cab.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/12/16 1:37 p.m.

Will it be the smallest pickup available for the USDM?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/12/16 1:40 p.m.
Dave wrote: So now that no one buys a basic 2 door regular cab truck Jeep is bringing one out? Should have done it ten years ago when every truck wasn't a giant super cab.

Good point. I ditched full sized standard cabs long ago cause ya couldn't even fit a huntin' rifle in the cab anymore.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/16 1:49 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: With the CAFE requirements, I can't see this happening.

No such thing, anymore. Each vehicle now has it's own kind of requirements. So it's not about the fleet, but about the vehicle.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
1/12/16 3:13 p.m.

Talked about for years. Rumor mill for years.

I'll believe it when I see it. And I've had a Jeep of some form for the past 14+/- years.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/12/16 3:30 p.m.

I'd love one, but I have three kids and have grown out of wranglers and Tacoma's.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
1/12/16 3:47 p.m.

Hope that in any case its convertible. I'd love a Jeep truck that could be ran as a soft-top to cover 4 people or as a hard top that would be a standard cab.

Either way, needs to be able to haul 4 people or have a 6' bed.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/12/16 4:09 p.m.

It was mentioned (leaked) last Summer, in some UAW documents with the decision to move the Cherokee production elsewhere. All the "reliable" stuff I've read is spot on with what stanger_missle said.

I told SWMBO, that we will be going into debt for a diesel Rubicon Wrangler truck when it becomes available, she reluctantly agreed.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/12/16 4:15 p.m.
Dave wrote: So now that no one buys a basic 2 door regular cab truck Jeep is bringing one out? Should have done it ten years ago when every truck wasn't a giant super cab.

Now that you can hardly buy a basic 2 door reg cab pickup, let alone one that isn't comically huge and lifted to a fault, this might fill the niche left behind.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
1/12/16 4:21 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Does the CJ-8 not count?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/12/16 4:40 p.m.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I would buy one if it's available as a single cab. I'm not interested in a double cab with a three foot box. I would happily grow to be an old man in a single cab Jeep truck.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/12/16 5:08 p.m.

Hmm, I swear I saw a single cab wrangler pickup on the road a few months ago. Was it some kind of conversion?

java230
java230 HalfDork
1/12/16 5:20 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: Hmm, I swear I saw a single cab wrangler pickup on the road a few months ago. Was it some kind of conversion?

AEV Brute conversion most likely.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/12/16 6:01 p.m.

I believe MOPAR has a pickup conversion kit.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/12/16 6:04 p.m.

When Chrysler took over Jeep they stopped the J series because they competed with Dodge pickups.

The Wrangler pickup won't compete with an existing Ram pickup.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6HMuo1FjLb7Gj3hzkhxhIjUAuoNfMtagLG5gccp9OTlSa2ARh4VVz9r9M1LpYJ2B