AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/17 9:03 a.m.

My Dad was in the USMC in WW2, Parris Island -- Cherry Point -- troop train to west coast -- Pacific Ocean -- Japan/China (that part is a little unclear).  

When cleaning out the attic 15 years or so after he passed away, we found a USMC duffel bag with a couple of old uniforms, a wool blanket, and this plaque which has no identifying marks on it at all.  

Since the GRM forum is populated by the most knowledgeable people on Earth, I know this is the right place to ask:  WTF?  Any feedback on origin, age, meaning, etc?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/29/17 9:37 a.m.

Because it has no identifiers, I wonder if it's a plaque given for retirement, promotions etc., and an engraved brass plate is installed for each occasion.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/29/17 11:59 a.m.

My google-fu is on today.

Looks like it is the "Ruptured Duck" a symbol of Honorable Discharge from the military.

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/theduck.htm

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
12/29/17 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322 :

That's exactly what it is.

It was probably a "going away" plaque from his unit.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/17 4:12 p.m.

You guys are unbelievable.  2 hours, 56 minutes from question to answer with reference.  And then backed up with another reference 1 hour, 11 minutes later.

Thank you.

I also have the American flag from Dad's casket, in a wood and glass case.  I will display this plaque with the flag.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3yg4GIGxp0NczdFewbll7lp2bbwrSU8tsqB7CjWGRap1aKyXJrnwDFLUYyWPRzWe