1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/12 6:46 a.m.

http://www.kpic.com/news/national/WWII-vet-Earl-Jones-kills-would-be-burglar-with-single-shot-168472566.html

VERONA, Kentucky -- In World War II, Earl Jones defended his country. On Monday night the 92-year-old veteran had to defend his own home.

"I heard 'tack, tack' down in the basement," said Jones, whose farm has been the target of multiple burglaries. "I said 'somebody's down there,' so I got my gun. I was sitting right here and I heard him on the steps."

Jones waited with his .22-caliber rifle until the intruders were just on the other side of his basement door.

"He kicked the door and as soon as he got inside it was all over," Jones said.

Jones fired a single round and hit 24-year-old Lloyd Maxwell in the chest. Police say Maxwell was carried off by two other intruders. They put him in a car and took off, stopping down a country road to call 911.

Kirk Schneider lives along the road and said he saw the group near his neighbor's yard after they stopped.

"My neighbor was checking on the other kid in the car that I guess got shot. He took his pulse and said he's dead," Schneider said.

Prosecutors say Jones will not face charges in Maxwell's death. The other men involved in the break-in have been charged with burglary and tampering with evidence.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/5/12 6:50 a.m.

Good on him.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/5/12 7:20 a.m.

Good for him.

I do wonder why they always pimp out the WWII Vet thing though whenever one of them has to kill somebody.

When my grandfather rolled his pickup they didn't report "WWII veteran and Normandy survivor hits pole with BAC of .27".

"Elderly farmer kills intruder with one shot" is entirely accurate and no less topical.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/5/12 7:21 a.m.

Hell, in FL the other two would be charged with some form of homicide.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/5/12 7:24 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Good for him. I do wonder why they always pimp out the WWII Vet thing though whenever one of them has to kill somebody. When my grandfather rolled his pickup they didn't report "WWII veteran and Normandy survivor hits pole with BAC of .27". "Elderly farmer kills intruder with one shot" is entirely accurate and no less topical.

Because it makes it more favorable for the old guy to have shot the young guy. It could be written: "Man with dementia shoots diseased youth in cold blood"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/12 7:33 a.m.

Caption for this: "Look at your damn baggy pants hanging off your ass. The Nazis had way more style than you punks!" BANG

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/12 7:36 a.m.

Locally, a guy tried to rob a vet at his shop. When the guy was walking in the door, the robber pushed his way in and tried to rob him. The guy was older (Vietnam IIRC) but had Marine Corps stickers all over the place and wore a crew cut. He also kept a gun in his toolbox, which the robber found out about the hard way.

Veterans were trained to shoot guns at some point, and robbers should remember that.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
9/5/12 7:37 a.m.

Classic victorious underdog story. Elderly man with a history of service to his country repels attack by three young, lazy predator thugs and sends them on their way. The one a shining example of a good citizen, the others a shining example of what not to do.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
9/5/12 8:29 a.m.

I always wonder if they use the 'veteren' thing to make him look like a hero, instead of just saying an old man shot a robber. Either way, good for him.

And he did it with a .22!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
9/5/12 8:33 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: And he did it with a .22!

Yup. Single shot. Nice cheap round. Very efficient.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/5/12 8:39 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Hell, in FL the other two would be charged with some form of homicide.

Most places I assume would. That would be the case, here, in the great state of Misery. I expect that after a full investigation, they will be.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/5/12 9:03 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:

That's why I don't get why people hate on .22s. They are just as fatal as anything else. Sure they don't make a huge BANG!, but they get the job done.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/5/12 9:06 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: That's why I don't get why people hate on .22s.

Because they read in magazines that they need moar powah or PCP crazed criminals will eat their faces then rape them if they don't use a .500 magnum with cop stopper ammo.

You don't get rich selling $100 rifles that use ammo you can buy 1000ct for $20.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/5/12 9:11 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: That's why I don't get why people hate on .22s.
Because they read in magazines that they need moar powah or PCP crazed criminals will eat their faces then rape them if they don't use a .500 magnum with cop stopper ammo. You don't get rich selling $100 rifles with ammo you can buy 1000 of for $20.

OH I get all that. I just get tired of hearing that .22 is just a wimpy ammo. Yeah it's not going to put down a grizzly bear, but an intruder in my house? You betcha!

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
9/5/12 9:21 a.m.

Plus the non existant recoil of a .22 allows for multiple follow up shots if one doesn't do the job. I want a PMR-30 so bad!!! .22 Mag auto pistol. Yes pleez...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
9/5/12 9:27 a.m.

My friends that are into guns insist on having huge crazy guns as their home defense weapons. As much as I like big guns, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my 10/22 over my M1 or Shotgun if someone was coming into my home. The only real advantage I see to having a big gun is for the intimidation factor.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
9/5/12 9:43 a.m.

Good on the old guy. He protected him and his and lived to tell the tale.

My mom wants a pink Walther P22 for her gun. She figures if she ever had to shoot someone and they lived they would never live down the shame of being shot by a woman using a pink .22.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
9/5/12 9:49 a.m.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 9:57 a.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

Same difference as the cops locally take people to jail for domestic violence using pink asp handcuffs.....

Isn't the .22 still considered the most used round in firearms related deaths? Nasty little buggers like to bounce around in there. In some ways they're worse than 9mm, 40, and 45.

I keep my p230 and .45 colt lever action in close reach, with the m1 carbine stashed for the "If I need this a small army is invading my home" scenario....

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
9/5/12 10:06 a.m.

Hmm yeah I think you are right that most firearms deaths are from the tiny .22. I am actually looking at getting a old Beretta 71 in 22 as a smaller gun, it is the same used by Mossad to great effect. The guy at the local shop has one he is tormenting me with. Says I need it every time I go out there.

My P230 is also always within reach.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
9/5/12 10:15 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: My friends that are into guns insist on having huge crazy guns as their home defense weapons. As much as I like big guns, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my 10/22 over my M1 or Shotgun if someone was coming into my home. The only real advantage I see to having a big gun is for the intimidation factor.

+1, i used to keep my 10/22 with a 25 round mag in it next to the bed.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/5/12 10:20 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
That's why I don't get why people hate on .22s. They are just as fatal as anything else. Sure they don't make a huge BANG!, but they get the job done.

Because it's waaaay cooler to brag about having a .45 over anything else. :rolleyes:

People like to get in pissing matches about caliber just like drag racers do about horsepower. It's quite annoying.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/5/12 10:22 a.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

Nice little weapons, am I the only person here that wants a welrod?

Bonus points for knowing what they even are without searching

In reply to Anti-stance: Agreed, it doesn't matter what it is....always preference.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
9/5/12 10:29 a.m.

Welrod, single action silenced pistol used in WW2. Wasn't it a small caliber too, like a .25 or something?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/5/12 10:31 a.m.

I have no problem with a .22. I prefer not to carry one because of the bone ricochet potential. Sure, it may bounce around and turn someones internals into scrambled eggs, or bounce off someone's skull and hit your daughter. Larger calibers are more likely to continue going straight or stop in the body due to expansion. Of course thus will not always be the case.

Believe it or not, I don't care. Larger caliber weapons are not more impressive. Using your hands is.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YkHzhP8a3uxkHsOUCDS9px6RjvtGzKs7ObS0LgDL25jQHAHe6ufBGna2TJagboFo