1 2
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/2/08 5:04 p.m.

So, after having a PS3 for a year, I've decided I'm not too wild about the game lineup. I would prefer titles like Halo and Gears of War. I want games that I can play co-op with my girlfriend. So I'm going to hock the PS3 on Craigslist to pick up an XBox 360.

I've heard about the 360s having a reputation for failing utterly. Is there a generation to look for/avoid if I buy a used system? Is the potential for getting a dud not worth the hassle of buying one used?

Advice?

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/2/08 5:08 p.m.

the newer the better, also they now have a 3 year warranty look for one with an HDMI port, and a hard drive, much cheaper to bundle it all together than to buy it all piece meal unless you go the CL route then good luck.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/2/08 5:08 p.m.

And save that money for tires

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/2/08 5:13 p.m.
wherethefmi2000 wrote: And save that money for tires

I figure an XBox is generally less expensive than a PS3. I should expect to receive money on the deal if I'm trading/selling a used PS3 for a used 360.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
12/2/08 5:53 p.m.

How much you selling the PS3 for?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
12/2/08 5:56 p.m.

Microsoft will repair for free (shipping at your expense I believe) any 360 that suffers from the red ring of death. Doesn't matter if it is used, doesn't matter if you don't have a receipt (they xbox's have serial numbers on their cases).

You'll enjoy your stay here, trust me. :D

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/2/08 6:04 p.m.
jpod999 wrote: How much you selling the PS3 for?

I haven't worked out a price to post an ad yet. I was figuring about $100 off what they sell for new. Plus a bit extra for games and the extra controller. Probably 50% of the new Price on the games, and $40 for the nice controller.

Looks like $400 is the going rate for a new 80gb.

I'd have to look more closely at everything I have, but probably between $400-$450 for everything.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
12/2/08 6:12 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Microsoft will repair for free (shipping at your expense I believe) any 360 that suffers from the red ring of death. Doesn't matter if it is used, doesn't matter if you don't have a receipt (they xbox's have serial numbers on their cases)

The only thing to be a bit weary of, though I don't know a way to noninvasively check, but I've had a few people that bought used / refurb 360s that eventually got the RROD and when sent to microsoft, they found out that their warranty was denied because someone had previously opened the case and tried to do the repairs themselves.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
12/2/08 6:28 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Microsoft will repair for free (shipping at your expense I believe) any 360 that suffers from the red ring of death. Doesn't matter if it is used, doesn't matter if you don't have a receipt (they xbox's have serial numbers on their cases). You'll enjoy your stay here, trust me. :D

They pay shipping both ways, had mine done this summer. You can check to see if the anti tamper seal is broken by pulling off the faceplate.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
12/2/08 6:32 p.m.

well there you go then. I had a problem with one early on. Bought it from gamestop, about 2 weeks later got the RROD, so I just brought it back to them and they handed me a new one. The people I know who have had experience with microsoft and their new-bought 360s have had only good things to say.

Good tip on the seal.

joshx99
joshx99 New Reader
12/2/08 9:00 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
jpod999 wrote: How much you selling the PS3 for?
I haven't worked out a price to post an ad yet. I was figuring about $100 off what they sell for new. Plus a bit extra for games and the extra controller. Probably 50% of the new Price on the games, and $40 for the nice controller. Looks like $400 is the going rate for a new 80gb. I'd have to look more closely at everything I have, but probably between $400-$450 for everything.

That probably won't happen. Look more towards $300-350 for your bundle.

abumason
abumason New Reader
12/2/08 10:14 p.m.

Anybody had any problems with their PS3's? I got one because I had 2 friends get the RROD with their 360's and we wanted a Blu-ray player.

Mine is currently a big black paperweight. Two months ago it started locking up on Blu-Ray's. Happened to several different titles. After a hard shut down, leave it off for 20 mins it would boot up and still play games but give an "invalid disc error" for any Blu-Ray movie.

And as of this past weekend, it won't play anything. Doesn't recognize any type of disk. you can hear it spinning, but no joy.

I updated to the latest firmware off the PS3 site, but still no luck. Haven't tried customer service yet, but really frustrated right now.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/2/08 10:53 p.m.

My PS3 is a paper weight until I want to watch a blu-ray movie or any dvd for that sort because it upconverts. The title line-up isn't that great and the online play sucks compared to the 360. I've been contemplating selling mine as well and just using the money to buy a regular Blu-ray player and maybe a new game or two for the 360. Only reason I may keep is in the hope that a new Gran Turismo will be out. God only knows when that will happen though. Prologue was intriguing

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/08 8:19 a.m.

Got an Xbox and overheated it once. After that I took it out of the entertainment center and it's been fine since.

Love the game lineup. I'm getting "Left 4 Dead" nxt.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/3/08 8:27 a.m.

Salanis,

Keep an eye on www.slickdeals.net. There are always deals on XBox 360's there.

-Will

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/3/08 10:36 a.m.

Found a guy on Craigslist with a 120gig 360 elite (same value as my PS3), and a comparable array of equipment and games. So I'll likely trade strait-across with him.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
12/3/08 11:46 a.m.

I had anticipated buying a PS3 just for the blu ray aspect. I had been told that it had a faster blu ray than the dedicated blu ray players. Plus it was upgradable whereas the dedicated players weren't. Is that not the case?

The fact that I also got gaming capacities was just gravy as I have an XBox.

When I priced them they were only about $30 more expensive than the blu ray player alone so it made sense.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/3/08 12:01 p.m.

Carguy,

That makes sense, and I agree. But I don't currently need a BluRay player. I don't have an HDTV. I do need the capability to play standard DVDs, but the XBox has that.

I'd figured something along those lines when I got the PS3. PS2 had the best lineup of that generation of consoles. I'd have a Blu Ray player. I wouldn't have to worry about the RROD. All would be groovy. But XBox has the best lineup for me right now (not counting for my PCs, but that's covered). And by the time I actually need a BluRay player, they'll be much cheaper.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/3/08 12:03 p.m.

Yes, the PS3 is still a good option for a Blu-Ray player (some are getting cheap, but they still won't upgrade like the PS3) / DVD upsampling player.

As a bonus you get a pretty good media player (music, video, pictures) as well as an OK browser. It is also pretty easy to set up as a player for a streaming server from your PC (I have has some issues with this though) Oh, and you can play games on them also (including almost the entire PS1 and PS2 library, I was playing Gran Tourismo 1 on mine a while back)

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
12/3/08 12:09 p.m.
aircooled wrote: It is also pretty easy to set up as a player for a streaming server from your PC (I have has some issues with this though)

Whats that?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
12/3/08 12:13 p.m.

I just picked up a Blu-Ray player this last weekend for $128 and it works perfectly on every disk I've tossed at it so far (including some burned stuff). That right there eliminates the whole PS3 as a Blu-Ray player at least to me.

As for the media player aspect I have met TV setup with the cables to connect my laptop and stream media over my network on that with no problems.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
12/3/08 12:22 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: I just picked up a Blu-Ray player this last weekend for $128 and it works perfectly on every disk I've tossed at it so far (including some burned stuff). That right there eliminates the whole PS3 as a Blu-Ray player at least to me. As for the media player aspect I have met TV setup with the cables to connect my laptop and stream media over my network on that with no problems.

Except for the speed and the upgradability part.

And by speed I mean the time it takes to load and begin playing. I've not actually experienced this myself since I have neither, but everyone warns me about how slow Blu ray players are except for the PS ones.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/3/08 12:42 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Whats that?

OK, assuming you aren't messing with me (and you aren't talking about the "PC"):

The PS3 can detect a PC sharing content through Windows Media Player (I am not sure if there are other options here) either by wired network connection or wireless. Basically you can view / play any pictures, music, or videos on you PC you select to share (not all video formats of course, but most of the big ones).

Obviously you need to keep your PC on. I have not played with it a lot (I generally don't leave my PC on) but figuring out what it will serve has been a bit of an issue to me (I think it has something to do with playlists). Videos are not a problem, but mp3's are inconsistent and I haven't yet gotten pictures to work. I am sure it has a lot more to do with the vagaries of Window Media Player (making things more difficult by trying to make them easier) than the PS3.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
12/3/08 12:48 p.m.

Don't move the xBox while there's a disc spinning (DVD or HDD). It'll kill it pretty quick.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/08 3:03 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: *Don't move the xBox while there's a disc spinning (DVD or HDD)*. It'll kill it pretty quick.

The disc or the Xbox? I had my Rockband disc in the Xbox when the girlfriend accidentally kicked it. Massive, ugly, relationship threatening scratch. Buffed it out with some toothpaste and a cotton sock. So far the RB disc still works. Now my Xbox drive doesn't like to open all the time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ity2UBH835ZuRyOccBV6k50zU1tdaOZS4Mf7OP1GV6DtvhFbhi6aiB0vlYSPhOLM