1 ... 5 6 7
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/24 11:29 a.m.

As noted, Western NC is in bad shape. The area was never designed to handle a hurricane, and the devestation was real. It reminds me of what Irene did up in New York and New England.

Here is a news story and has some photos.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/24 11:53 a.m.

Some of my family got power this morning.  Duke says the rest should be on by Friday.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/30/24 11:57 a.m.

Got home last night to find this in my backyard.  It's about 2-3' deep and 8-8' wide.  Thankfully we only rent this house...

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/24 12:18 p.m.

Just talked to a friend who is up in Ashville helping his in-laws remove trees. No power. Very limited cell signal. No water. 

He said there are chinooks and black hawks in the air and dropping supplies and equipment.

If you're in that situation yourself - I admit that I have no idea how bad it must suck. I'm very fortunate by comparison. Please know that I'm hoping for you. I'm asking Karma to give you my next win. I hope one comes your way and sends you into a better place. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/24 12:24 p.m.

Treasure Island this morning. That's a lot of sand.   Gulf Blvd, that's the main drag through town....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/24 12:30 p.m.

Related news from GMP Performance:

The North Carolina mountains are a scenic get away that automotive and outdoor enthusiasts alike enjoy. Unfortunately, this past weekend we were all shocked by the destruction experienced by our western neighbors North Carolina due to flooding following hurricane Helene. This will be a long road ahead and the people that call our beloved mountains home are in need of our help. 

We would like to help with the efforts to get donations and supplies to the area. We plan to use our car haulers to get them to Boone, NC to be distributed there and surrounding areas. We are reaching out to let you know that we are planning our first run up to the mountains this week.

If you have supplies that you are willing to donate, please drop them off by Wednesday afternoon (10/2/24) no later than 4pm at either of our NC locations: 

GMP Performance Charlotte - 710 Pressley Rd. Charlotte, NC 28217 

GMP Performance Lake Norman - 292 Rolling Hill Rd. Mooresville, NC 28117 

We plan to leave on Thursday morning (10/3/24). 

Our goal is to bring whatever we have and also pickup excess supplies at donation centers along the way up. We are hearing that airports cannot transport heavy items such as water so we hope to help get those pallets moving. Our trailers are designed to load low cars and we will be able to use pallet jacks to load bulk items as well as any other single packages. 

We are currently focused on collecting as many supplies as possible and are reaching out to various donation centers in the area surrounding Boone. If you know any donations centers that need help moving supplies up the mountain please let us know. 

Items that are needed: 

Water, Non-Perishable Food Items, Sports Drinks, Baby Wipes, Diapers (Children & Adults), Baby Formula, Bug Spray, Plastic Utensils, Manual Can Openers, Plastic Sheeting & Tarps, Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Toiletries/Sanitation Items, Pet Food, Hand Sanitizer, Feminine Hygiene Products, Heavy Duty Work Gloves, Socks - All Sizes (Unopened). 

This is only the beginning of the help that is needed in the mountains. We will continue to support the area with as many trips as possible over the coming weeks and months to deliver donations and supplies. As needs change we will update our social media pages so please Follow Us to stay informed. 

Thank you for your consideration to help those in need during this difficult time. 

Sincerely, 

Stephen Klitzsch 

GMP Performance 

President & General Manager 

Appalachian State University Graduate

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/30/24 12:38 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Why do northerners give us E36 M3 about living in a hurricane area but then when they move down here they buy houses in the worst areas for flooding?

We didn't and don't. Or is that don't and didn't? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/24 12:54 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'll exempt you as I believe you have a Florida man inside you that's screaming to come out.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/30/24 1:48 p.m.

SWMBO called me at lunch while letting my dog out to say there was a big utility truck blocking my driveway, then immediately texted to say my power was finally back.  My cameras and garage door remote confirmed it around noon. ;)

I went through the Ohio River flood in '97 and that was enough natural disaster for me.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/24 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Congrats and it’s a good feeling, right?

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
9/30/24 5:00 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I'm alive! Cell and internet has been non-existent to patchy so far. We got lucky - my house and the houses of my relatives who live here are all miraculously undamaged, though all of our neighbors weren't quite so fortunate. Day of the storm was the worst I've ever seen, with large portions of Hendersonville underwater or cut off by downed trees. It felt like every other tree in the county was down - pretty much every road was blocked. As far as I know all of my friends are accounted for and haven't suffered bodily harm.

Fortunately things have been getting better rapidly. The power trucks are everywhere, charities are bringing in supplies, and cell service has been partly restored. I've heard there's a C-17 and a bunch of military helicopters at AVL airport. Still no power but that's not too bad. We're just trying to help wherever we can, just like most people around here. We got it relatively easy, the pictures of Chimney Rock are heartbreaking and Swannanoa got it really bad too. Fortunately the valley that Hendersonville sits in is wide and shallow, I think that slowed the water down a bit and helped keep things from being quite as bad as they could have been. I'll post pics when the internet is better. I'm touched y'all remembered me.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/24 5:54 p.m.

Flood zone maps - they will be changing.    Along with floor height standards, especially in Florida.   Insurance companies that survive will be insisting.  Also, houses that flooded will have lower appraised values in the future.  Instead of CarFax there will probably be a HouseFax.

The "break-away" ground floor stuff we have been putting under houses on pilings may get outlawed.  In the surge that stuff damaged other properties.

Whew... what a mess.   

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
9/30/24 5:57 p.m.

My daughter is in Hendersonville, just 15 min south of Asheville - it's a terrible mess. My granddaughter was in Asheville and while not in the flood, it took two days for her to find a way home - 15 min away!

My daughter thinks they'll have power by Friday, they have a genset to keep the well pumping, so they have water and food. Cell service is spotty but she was able to get a message to me to let me know they were all OK.

Grandson got called in to work at the restaurant downtown, and SIL's office is in the one small part of town that did not lose power, so they had a way to charge cell phones and he had a small fridge there too.

All in all, they will make it thru. The river flooded the lower part of their property and got the barn mostly under water, but it stood, and today she's got the tractor and backhoe running and is cleaning out the mud. 

Asheville will not recover quickly from this, and Chimney Rock is mostly just gone - all the debris is floating in Lake Lure. I'm sure there are a number of other small towns that are just as bad off.....

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/30/24 6:32 p.m.

Found out today that one of the supervisors spent the hurricane at his daughter's hpuse inland (his place was on St Pete Beach)

Apparently he had 5 feet of water in his place, something shorted, the entire house burned down. Total loss. Fire trucks couldnt get there cause water was too deep. Apparently he only had the clothes on his back and what he packed for overnight

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/24 6:38 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

I should have been able to come up with the name. I had all the facts right!

I'm really glad you are alright, must of been very scary. I have a lot of friends in Morganton and they made it out ok too. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
9/30/24 6:48 p.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:

Treasure Island this morning. That's a lot of sand.   Gulf Blvd, that's the main drag through town....

That isn't the main part of Gulf Blvd. That is West Gulf Blvd, it is the 2 lane section that goes to the end of Sunset Beach. The beach is normally about 20yds the other side of the tall white building.

I got to drive up through T.I. and Madeira Bch today. Except for the piles of stuff and the sand you can hardly tell a storm came through. Normally with a wind event you can see the damage. Its surreal because this is the worst storm damage in about 100 years for the county. The last time a storm this big hit it created John's Pass.

JG- yes, heading South.

glueguy- Are you taking these T. I. shots? If so, that sand one is about 1/2 mile from my building on Blind Pass, stop by!

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
84UR7FVqSnZhdZFMa5Wfwv10Idj45yf2kBaW0gcubMUIB6uungHnOveUY4EP6mHR