1 2
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/16 10:12 a.m.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascars-top-series-now-sponsored-by-the-official-drink-1789583586

Monster Energy—a liquid, drinkable form of YO, STOP LOOKING AT MY GIRL—will become the new sponsor for NASCAR’s top series. That’s right: NASCAR’s next big hauler fight will be brought to you by the fizzy beverage of choice of flat-brimmed roid-bros everywhere. It’s a match made in heaven.

Maybe because I'm not part of the youth market they are going for, but I don't get it. Then again, I don't have much use for overcaffinated fizzy sugar water to start with, or the way it's marketed. Guess I'm just old.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
12/2/16 10:26 a.m.

This dude is going to be mad LOL

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/2/16 11:12 a.m.

No interest in the series, but it does raise a lot of questions. Sprint pulling out of skittle racing, what about Verizon with Indy car? Are they in Indy car because Sprint was in skittles? How long is the Verizon deal?

Why are Sprint leaving? Do they think NASCAR is well past the Shark jumping stage and loosing it's wide audience appeal?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 11:15 a.m.

This is as close as it'll get to being sponsored by Brawndo

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/16 11:16 a.m.

I never had much interest in a cell phone company or a cancer factory selling lung darts, but that didn't stop me from watching.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/2/16 11:18 a.m.

I could go for a Monster Chaos right about now. Still won't watch NASCAR.

D2W
D2W Reader
12/2/16 4:27 p.m.

Rockstar is better than Monster, and I could care less about who sponsors NASCAR. NASCAR would probably let ISIS be their sponsor if they had the most money.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/2/16 4:40 p.m.

As a former employee, I can assure you that Sprint is a horribly mismanaged company. My guess is that Sprint chose not to renew because they desperately need the money elsewhere as they drive themselves down to the #4 cell phone company out of 4.

Nextel actually initiated the NASCAR deal. Sprint inherited (and continued) the deal when they bought Nextel.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
12/2/16 5:05 p.m.

Can we expect to see Ken Block give oval track racing a shot?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/2/16 5:10 p.m.
Monster Energy—a liquid, drinkable form of YO, STOP LOOKING AT MY GIRL—will become the new sponsor for NASCAR’s top series. That’s right: NASCAR’s next big hauler fight will be brought to you by the fizzy beverage of choice of flat-brimmed roid-bros everywhere. It’s a match made in heaven.

I really could use some roid's right about now.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
12/2/16 5:20 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Can we expect to see Ken Block give oval track racing a shot?

He'd be the only car in the field turning right to go left

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
12/2/16 5:24 p.m.

So Monster is taking away from the classy organization that NASCAR is?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/2/16 7:37 p.m.

Is anyone surprised? I knew that NASCAR was not going to be able to keep sponsors since Winston had to be dropped due to Cigarette branding was banned from professional sports in the US. Winston probably would still be a sponsor today if that hadn't happened.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/2/16 8:29 p.m.

In other news all hats will now only be sold with flat bills.....

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
12/2/16 9:24 p.m.

If they added a "rolling coal" feature to the race cars I might actually watch it. Based on the same principal as DRS in F1.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
12/3/16 1:49 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Is anyone surprised? I knew that NASCAR was not going to be able to keep sponsors since Winston had to be dropped due to Cigarette branding was banned from professional sports in the US. Winston probably would still be a sponsor today if that hadn't happened.

Sprint's contract was up. they didn't want to renew. they didn't really initiate the sponsorship, anyways, since they inherited it when they bought Nextel.. Monster Energy won the contract over however many other companies were going for it.

it's just business.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
12/3/16 1:52 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In other news all hats will now only be sold with flat bills.....

actually, i think the flat bill thing is coming to an end.. i see more and more kids with normal looking hats now... the bill is wider than the ones i grew up with and love, but they aren't always flat any more..

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/3/16 3:49 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Is anyone surprised? I knew that NASCAR was not going to be able to keep sponsors since Winston had to be dropped due to Cigarette branding was banned from professional sports in the US. Winston probably would still be a sponsor today if that hadn't happened.
Sprint's contract was up. they didn't want to renew. they didn't really initiate the sponsorship, anyways, since they inherited it when they bought Nextel.. Monster Energy won the contract over however many other companies were going for it. it's just business.

And I still stand by what I say.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/3/16 1:37 p.m.

In reply to NEALSMO:

Have you seen the money and babes at their award ceremony? I know I wouldn't be let in.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
12/4/16 7:19 a.m.
ncjay wrote: Can we expect to see Ken Block give oval track racing a shot?

He'd probably do about as good as Travis Pastrana.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/4/16 7:48 a.m.

I always thought it was funny when a 500 or 600 mile race was called a sprint race.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
12/4/16 8:18 a.m.

To me, this smacks of Monster not understanding their consumer base. I just don't see flat brims getting all hopped up on caffeine and watching a four hour race, unless they happen to be tearing apart a dirt bike engine in the living room at the same time. As mood altering substances go, NASCAR should surrender to the inevitable and sign a beer sponsor to the top level.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/4/16 3:41 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

Who ever thought the "flat brims" would get into a rally car based sport? Long time rally fan more recent flat brimmer. By the way I haven't had much time to watch Nascar in a long while but I caught the last twenty to thirty laps of Homestead and the cousin Carl drama reminded me of Schumacher ramming his way to a title back in '94. Exciting in a crummy way.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/4/16 3:48 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: To me, this smacks of Monster not understanding their consumer base. I just don't see flat brims getting all hopped up on caffeine and watching a four hour race, unless they happen to be tearing apart a dirt bike engine in the living room at the same time. As mood altering substances go, NASCAR should surrender to the inevitable and sign a beer sponsor to the top level.

Dirt bikes and rednecks have been together a lot longer than dirt bikes and flatbillers. Monster energy also does monster trucks. Makes a lot more sense than one would realize.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/4/16 4:37 p.m.

It's got what plants crave!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bHYTVjWFYOc2TmJGDkFYGufmsHQwlhn1fMZUr9UTboXpD2nCdwFZ00VAkl9DMUL2