1 2
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/17 11:49 a.m.
RevRico said:

I always forget about Centralia, I should take a ride out there some time. 

I've always wanted to go check it out, but apparently there isn't much left to see. Supposedly all of the remaining structures were torn down like 5 years ago.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/7/17 12:42 p.m.
Furious_E said:
RevRico said:

I always forget about Centralia, I should take a ride out there some time. 

I've always wanted to go check it out, but apparently there isn't much left to see. Supposedly all of the remaining structures were torn down like 5 years ago.

Google maps shows a few buildings still standing (and appear to be inhabited).  My understanding is anyone who lived there were told they should leave, but were not forced to.  No one is allowed to move in.  When the last residents leave (one way or another), that will be the end of it.

The often photographed "graffiti highway" is actually an abandoned section of Rt 61 on the south side of the actual town (what's left of it).

SlimShady218
SlimShady218 New Reader
11/7/17 2:43 p.m.

The one about TN isn't exactly true.  The county is technically a "dry" county, but you can purchase Jack at the distillery.  So would it still be a "dry" county?

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
11/7/17 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

The road part is true (and has cost me several tires and rims over the years), but sometimes its convenient to be able to show people where you live on the back of your left hand, maps not being overly portable and all. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/7/17 4:14 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

True.  To be honest I stopped reading after the bad roads and seeing the picture.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/17 4:44 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
thatsnowinnebago said:

You can juuuust about see my office in the photo of the tiniest park, haha.

Do you ever take your lunch to the park?

Tea sandwiches only. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 6:43 p.m.

A mine fire is the best you can come up with for PA?  We have Philadelphia for Pete's sake!  It's the only city that was ever bombed by the government during peacetime...on purpose!  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/7/17 6:51 p.m.

I also wanted to say how unfair it is to judge an entire state because Cleveland caught it's river on fire. Believe me, the rest of Ohio doesn't claim Cleveland.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 7:23 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

In reply to kazoospec :

True.  To be honest I stopped reading after the bad roads and seeing the picture.

Just remember, Any Michiganders that live below the Big Mac are Trolls

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
11/7/17 9:14 p.m.

I had to google a Kentucky Map.  I couldn't believe it wasn't continuous 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 10:07 p.m.
fiesta54 said:

I had to google a Kentucky Map.  I couldn't believe it wasn't continuous 

NJ and Delaware have the same problem believe it or not. Just South of Salem, NJ, the border between the two states goes from being the Middle of the Delaware river to NJ's coastline. Years of dredging the Delaware and depositing the spoils on the Jersey side have given Delaware and NJ a Physical Border with Delaware gaining land mass on this side of the river.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/7/17 11:16 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I also wanted to say how unfair it is to judge an entire state because Cleveland caught it's river on fire. Believe me, the rest of Ohio doesn't claim Cleveland.

It's so depressing that the residents want to leave the planet.....

I forgot about Indiana wanting to round up Pi.....that's gold right there. I was expecting the Beech Grove Walmart fights to be on there for some reason. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uZ0bZTJPGTo2zgUQMUYZ1JKqfjat3VtSetax3izLDbC2eMAuxlLUzhWu4VEGxJMV