1 2
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/5/20 1:13 p.m.

Ok gang, I could use some insight on a purchase I need to make. We have just created an additional 1.5+ acres of grass lawn at our house. I know what you are going to say, but it's done, so now I need to deal with it. The property has LOTS of trees and therefore millions of leaves which I need to dispose of. We had 2 acres of grass to deal with before, now it's almost 4. I just bought a new Cub Cadet Z-Force SX 54 zero turn to mow with and I need an attachment to pick-up leaves. For those that have to deal with leaf removal, should I look at getting the CC triple bagger for the unit or something like a DR Or Cyclone Rake leaf collection system to pull behind?

I bought this and need to decide between the second or third picture.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
11/5/20 1:19 p.m.

I think the trailer would be much easier to work with, but...

I've bagged leaves the last couple years and it sucks, like alot.  This year I mowed over them a couple times to mulch them up and I'll never go back.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
11/5/20 1:20 p.m.

I mow 3 acres with several very large trees. I have an "OCDC" discharge chute flap that I close to keep the leaves inside the deck (a bit like a partial mulch kit). It's much faster for me to just mow them up (even if I have to make two passes) than it is to constantly have to stop to empty some bagger/sweeper, etc. I don't end up with a completely leaf free lawn as there are little clippings in places, but it does a good enough job with a more reasonable amount of time/effort expended. It also has the added benefit of not having another piece of equipment sitting around taking up space, needing maintenance, etc.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/20 1:26 p.m.

I just mow them up

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/5/20 1:26 p.m.

x3 on mulching

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/5/20 1:43 p.m.

I just mow them

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/20 2:00 p.m.

I have lots of trees (but only about an acre). I use a pull behind lawn sweeper and it works great. Although the township comes by and picks them up from the curb so I don't have to find somewhere to put them. 

Out of those options I would go with the vacuum. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
11/5/20 2:15 p.m.
Patientzero said:

I think the trailer would be much easier to work with, but...

I've bagged leaves the last couple years and it sucks, like alot.  This year I mowed over them a couple times to mulch them up and I'll never go back.

This, mulch them first as it reduces the volume to a third of what it would be if you just try to mow and vacuum.    I have a small utility trailer with high sides that I tow behind the tractor to reduce trips out to my dump spots in the woods.   My Dad has a Yard Rake similar to the one in the picture above and really likes it.

Edited to add:  Both myself (bagger) and my Dad (Yard Rake) have conventional lawn tractors.   I think you'd kind of defeat the purpose of the zero turn with the Yard Rake, based on that I'd say get the bagger and mulch up with a first pass.

Racebrick
Racebrick New Reader
11/5/20 3:15 p.m.

I have 3 acres with a lot of mature trees. I mow my leaves, then use a sweeper. I pile them up and till them in spring.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
11/5/20 3:18 p.m.

I'd buy the DR or similar, but I have too many hills here.  I'm stuck using a blower, tarp and small push mower bagger.  There comes a point where you have too many leaves to just mulch up... it sounds like you're there.  Go big!

I bought a large zero turn.    I kept my older lawn tractor with the bagger system.     I now find mulching is what I do the most.

I have a pull behind rake for pine straw.   Pecan leaves mulch up to nothing.  Live oaks are another story.  I bag under the live oaks.  Sort of a pain having to dump a lot.

Have you tried mulching with the zero turn yet?

daeman
daeman Dork
11/5/20 4:19 p.m.

If you've already got a decent mower you could look at something like a parker vac 35 self propelled litter vac and a tow behind sulky seat. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/5/20 4:27 p.m.

Thanks for the info so far.

I currently have a Husqvarna commercial 48" ZT mower and have used it to mulch the previous 2 acres in the back yard. It's a big field that the prevailing winds blow clear for the most part. Also, it doesn't really matter what that area looks like as long as it's cut and clean. The grass we just planted is from the road down to the house. Approx 800' and between 30 and 50th width on both sides. There are probably 40 trees in the grass area and then the woods border behind it. There is a 2" blanket of leaves on the entire 1.5 acres. THERE ARE A LOT OF LEAVES! It has to look good too. We've been in the house 6 years and she deserves it to finally look finished.

Im wondering if there is a use for both pieces? The collection system for spring and fall clean-ups and the bagger when I'm simply mowing the grass all summer?

daeman
daeman Dork
11/5/20 4:36 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Im wondering if there is a use for both pieces? The collection system for spring and fall clean-ups and the bagger when I'm simply mowing the grass all summer?

Yes definitely a use for both if you go that way. Get into composting, with that amount of waste, do you really want to have to be dragging it off site? If you get a good compost system happening you can then reuse it on your property. Make topdress for the lawn with it, feed your gardens, that sort of thing.

My father used #2 to keep the grass alive under a bunch of oaks. It does an amazing job on leaves and grass clippings. It will not pick up moss though. 

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/5/20 7:45 p.m.

My father used a Trac Vac for over 25 years.  All metal construction, which will last a lot longer than that DR.  Make sure you're sitting down when you look a the prices, but you'll only buy it once.  

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
11/5/20 7:56 p.m.

I'd go with the trailer one as it will pick up the leaves. With the bagger system you'll spend more time unclogging the chutes than actually mowing. Learned that the hard way. Leaves don't much well on first pass and will clog the chutes. I don't have a zero turn, have a small JD lawn tractor with a bag system for it. Have a 1 acre wooded lot so lots of leaves. I was just mulching the leaves with multiple passes and leaving it. Kills the grass. Now bagging grass clipping and all and grass is growing again. With the leaves I remove the lower tube and cut/mulch the leaves then reinstall the lower tube and run over it again to pick up the mulched leaves. With your lawn size the trailer system may be worth the investment if you really want to pick up the leaves.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/6/20 8:15 a.m.

pick up or bag the leaves if you want to compost them.  

Otherwise all my neighbors in new england just used a billy goat blower. to blow them into the woods..  

https://www.billygoat.com/na/en_us/products/wheeled-and-stand-on-blowers.html

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/6/20 8:29 a.m.

My neighbor has a DR vacuum system and every year I go over to help him because of all the trouble he has using it. I've offered several times to simply mulch them up like I do my lawn.. On my zero turn I have a mulching kit, however I only attach the block off plate in the fall. Then simply mulch up all the leaves into the ground with the mower. This takes me a fraction of the time with none of the hassles  of vacuuming up the mess.

unless you are planning on saving the leaves and grass that you pick up to put in the garden for mulch, don't waste your time just mulch with the mower. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/6/20 8:33 a.m.

also..  Gator blades..   I put them on my old tractor and boy did they mulch well.. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/6/20 12:10 p.m.

I know you didnt ask about mulching but here's some info for your edification.

I have an overwrought thread on here about purchasing a Ferris ISX800 with the 25hp carb B&S on a 61" deck 3 blade. We just installed a mulching kit for use on the 7ish acres. Initial test was that it worked really well. Someone is mowing with it today so I've asked for an update to post on here, especially regarding if it gets sluggish.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/new-or-used-commercial-zero-turn-for-8-acres/174900/page1/

We had both systems in the past and everyone hated using them. All the salesmen tried talking me out of a mulching kit ($$ or genuine concern?) but there was no way we were spending good money AND bagging or dumping ever again.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
11/6/20 1:43 p.m.

Save yourself a lot of hassle.  Just get a mulching kit for your mower.  I have a Hustler Fastrak Z and I use a mulch kit similar to this one.  Makes short work of leaves and puts the nutrients back into the ground.

You will need mulching blades that shred like those shown below.  The blades above are for grass.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/6/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

There are blades specifically for mulching leaves? Good to know

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/20 2:26 p.m.

+1 for Gator Blades.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/6/20 7:09 p.m.

I watched my new neighbour put a mulching attachment on his John Deere lawn tractor/mower and proceed to turn a significant pile of leaves into little flakes. I want that, but I can't find a mulching kit to fit my Scotts tractor. It was built by JD and is very similar to the JD Sabre line of lawn tractors. Problem is the Scotts/Sabre mower decks are 46" triple blade and JD accessories are for 42" double blades and 48' triples. I've got Gator blades and a homemade discharge plug, but it doesn't work as nicely as the neighbour's unit. Do the kits like trucke posted simply surround the blades and block off the open area at the front of the deck where the clippings usually flow to discharge?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HSLAKWiyI96A7SCyVjEemhdgZJiZLUv8UPZ18ZPkoV4pM9lUctWP6zcxP6HjAxpc