alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/5/20 8:17 a.m.

Any interest for an old Electromotive TEC2 unit?  This was last used on our Challenge car a long time ago.  4 cyl only.

No sensors, and these connectors are missing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MJVJF1/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B077MJVJF1&pd_rd_w=P9Pkm&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=pJYsI&pf_rd_r=N9KWQ0C9JN1T1Q9TSK41&pd_rd_r=89a4463b-68d8-4688-b5e7-912f33d1a54b&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyV0lMVDc4TlVGRlg1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjI2NDk1M0FERFVQVjJSMDhBOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDA2NTgwMzNDR1hZV1NLNUlHMyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

And I'd probably suggest to upgrade to WINTEC2- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electromotive-TEC-2-Upgrade-EPROM-WT202T2-to-use-with-4-6-cylinder-units-only/283595995791?hash=item4207a37a8f:g:~TwAAOSw6OFdZeQg

If your car already has a 60-2 tooth wheel on it, this would be a much easier conversion.

Not sure on price, but certainly less than Microsquirt or Speeduino- maybe $125 plus shipping (unless you are in SEMI, and can pick up)

that's an expensive paperweight ;-)

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/5/20 9:09 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Kinda like your Corvair.

5/5/20 9:54 a.m.

Still runs- it has the original chip in it, but running the WINTEC would be a lot easier, I would think.  But there's no reason it would not run via a DOS window.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 10:41 a.m.

"Kinda like your Corvair," says the guy who's paying someone else to build him a Corvair.

Stampie (FS)
5/5/20 11:56 a.m.

LOL gotcha there cause I'm only paying him with love.  And if you hit <enter> after the quote it'll give you a new line so it doesn't all run together.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/5/20 12:05 p.m.

Hey now. I ain't getting paid E36 M3. I also ain't touched it in a few months.

I remember when tec2 was top shelf.wr have come amazingly far since then.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 12:14 p.m.

^ Disappointed.sad

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

The run-together was intentional, as you seem like the kind of guy who talks about himself in the third person.

Stampie (FS)
5/5/20 1:47 p.m.

Sorry I was just trying to help my elders.  I know how technology can get confusing for you guys.

5/5/20 2:23 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Hey now. I ain't getting paid E36 M3. I also ain't touched it in a few months.

I remember when tec2 was top shelf.wr have come amazingly far since then.

And tech moved quickly, as I got this in late 2002 changing from some cheap unitl to this one for the 2003 (and then 04) challenge.  I bought it for $400, as I was not ready to build an MS at the time.  I'm game for offers, including ones that just say they will take it to the challenge or pay a "fine" for not.

BTW, a correction- I said 100-2 tooth- it's 60-2 tooth wheel.  Edited the original post.

Stampie (FS)
5/5/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry I ruined your Electromotive party.  Would this work in a turbo application?

5/5/20 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I did for me.  Just have to get the right sensor set.  (I have no sensors- they went with the engine)

I'll throw in some big injectors to go with it.  Once that you can cut the tip off and get much bigger flow.

Stampie (FS)
5/5/20 5:49 p.m.

What sensors (junkyard) am I looking at?  If it matters I'm thinking M10 BMW.

5/5/20 6:34 p.m.

This document goes over everything- https://electromotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/TECIII3b-manual-tec99.pdf

But MAP, Throttle position, ECT, ACT, and crank position are minimum.  Being a BMW, it's a Bosch system on it, so as long as it's a later digital injection, it has the 60-2 tooth wheel on it.  As well as most of the sensors- the one you would need to add is the MAP sensor, which will be set for the amount of boost you want to run anway.  You can add a basic O2 sensor.  If you want to run a WB, then it either needs to be inverted to the 0-1 range on it's own, or you make a circuit to invert the signal so that 0 is lean and 1 is rich.  A few times, people here have told me how to do that, but I never got around to it.  

Outputs- injectors and idle.  Spark is contained on it, as you can see.  And I think there's also a programmable output for something.

I see that the years that engine was out is pretty wide.  So I'm not sure what you are fully starting out with.

Stampie (FS)
5/5/20 7:28 p.m.

PM'ed before AC gets all jelly.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 8:08 p.m.

Stampie, i may or may not have the manual.  I made the v8 version run on a 350 in 2015.  I got it for $118 at the swap meet, cleaned the harness, made a wheel for the crank and it fired right up.  Then i traded it for $400 and a car

Stampie (FS)
5/5/20 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Well then if alfadriver accepts my offer I figure I can guilt trip the both of you into getting it to run for me.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 1:39 p.m.

Hey do you still have this? (or did stampie get it?) 

Apparently, I have one on my x1/9 "red" and am going to be looking to get it up and running this winter/spring, but not sure if I'll actually use it long term or if I'll switch to microsquirt. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I have it. Still in the box but I'm closer to getting a M10 to put in the 2002.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Pu48VI1ivPlYdiufW3SkQ7WoV1txTwjlFaP2PLpKWSUkoa68QFLhA5fR9tq2sd7