rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
5/30/24 4:20 p.m.

Hoping there might be a few people that might be able to offer some advice and guidance on an issue with a 2003 GTI VR6:

Last weekend a 3 day weekend perfect opportunity to use part of Saturday to change struts, wheel bearings, and rack and pinion dust bellows out. You Tube videos watched, everything looks fairly straight forward and should go smooth!

Bottom line at end of day wound up with following:

Went to jump in the car for my test drive and found the steering wheel was now cocked to the right by a ¼ turn with right wheel toed out.

Have gone through front end as follows.

1. When I went to pull off tie rod ends, took a measurement with a digital vernier calipers from Jam Nut to end of threads where inner tie rod end screws into outer tie rod end. Re verified measurements on both sides afterwards and found measurements were still within ½ MM of where they started out from on initial measurement.
  2. Verified inner tie rod ends were seated completely into the rack and were not loose.
  3. Verified measurements on strut were same in case there was an issue with manufacture. Found springs in correct placement for perches upper & lower. Physical measurement of strut was same, overall height was same from right side and left side. (was concerned length might be different and change angle on caster which might give car a change in toe
  4. Verified bearings were seated properly and one side WAS not sticking out further than the other side.
  5. Had removed bolt on both side of sway bar from control arms to facilitate the removal of struts, when I reinstalled them I put the car down on the cement then hooked bar up with weight on suspension and torqued bar to control arm.
  6. Went ahead after checking and verifying all of this and set my steering wheel to center and adjusted right side Tie rod 12mm to get it going straight again.

Seems like it has to be something simple that I am overlooking, everything that I can think of I have verified as being installed correctly, hoping that someone here is familiar with the suspension on here and able to give me some great advice on getting to the bottom of this.

Signed up for a SCCA track night at Daytona on the 20th and definitely want to have confidence the car is fixed correctly.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/31/24 11:14 p.m.

There is also some play at the bottom too if you've had that off. Camber will effect toe so if you didn't reset that it can cause it to be off. 

rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
6/5/24 11:53 a.m.

Did remove the lower ball joints by removing the three bolts, will check and see if there is any slop to allow a camber change in them. Thanks for the answer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5R3gpuZfVIdUThdq1R0hMt9EGG9Vg1OA64fda0Ve4JWxhO7rpIgOT5scOqvtbmQe