Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
11/4/23 9:46 p.m.

Hi all - my 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi has a cracked bolt housing, and was wondering if anyone here thinks it can be repaired?

The exhaust manifold had to have helicoil installed (thanks to a broken bolt). That appears to have weakened the casing around it, so now it's pretty damaged.

Is it salvageable? Do I need a new head?

Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
11/9/23 10:38 a.m.

Just an update for the internet - I took the head to a trusted engine builder and he said there are plenty of things you could do, but if it was his engine he would JB Weld it. 

i thought it was a joke, but he was serious, and after some searching apparently it works. It's not a pressurized part of the head so it should be fine. I'll slap it on the truck this weekend and daily it like normal and we'll see! Beats paying close to $1000 for a new head 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/23 11:41 a.m.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I agree with your engine builder.  I have the capability of welding aluminum but I'd use JB weld in that application.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/9/23 9:01 p.m.

Can it be welded? 

Conditionally, yes. I'd give that a solid "eh."

Aluminum is tricky to weld. Cast aluminum is much trickier to weld; welding cast aluminum in a difficult-to-access position is significantly more unpleasant. Oil-contaminated limited-access cast aluminum is a huge, huge pain in the tuchus. (I speak from experience after welding an internal dipstick support on a Ferrari 360 oil tank.)

Honestly, given that's an area of relatively low stress, I'd concur with using epoxy. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/10/23 10:18 a.m.

Check this out. MKE could probably fix that in a few mins with a few scrap beer cans. Kidding, of course. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/frankenferrari-v12-ferrari-308/148959/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DioXenPbWY8UNg5HHZ74quhTgBR7QmlLwG6pwbrHdwUlj7EwpcKkpa4d9XXNb0Go