Tazz9924
Tazz9924 Reader
8/29/24 8:11 a.m.

Im wanting to make a 1-1/4" sway bar, straight with no bends and use bladed ends. I want to know two things: what material and wall thickness should i use and when i weld the collars on the end will that ruin the heat treat for the whole bar or does it matter because its right at the end?

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/29/24 6:26 p.m.

Size and thickness will depend on your application and packaging. 

For the ends, rather than welding do you have the ability to press the ends flat? The HAZ from welding will absolutely affect the treatment of the stock for some inches. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/24 6:36 p.m.

Get a splined bar and attach splined arms to it. You can buy the bars in a variety of diameters and lengths, same with the arms.

For example: https://www.portcityracecars.com/collections/front-suspension-sway-bars-mounts-splined-bars-components

Note that the OD is more important than the wall thickness, as the stiffness goes up with the diameter to the fourth power. To get the overall stiffness, you take the OD calculation and subtract the ID calculation. Since that fourth power is in the mix, the OD makes a much bigger difference. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 Reader
8/30/24 8:36 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

These are the ends im going to use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134728512743

room is at a premium, but i want to fit these in because they can be adjusted while driving which is a cool gimmick. They are meant to be welded on the end. 

Tazz9924
Tazz9924 Reader
8/30/24 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Splined bars are hard to utilize with the ends I intend to use. That is without really fancy tooling. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
9/4/24 11:41 p.m.

You only need a blade on one end of the bar. Can you get a splined bar and ends and attach the blade mount to a modified end?

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
9/5/24 8:04 a.m.

The HAZ will change the yield stress but not the elasticity. If you make the HAZ region extra beefy to account for the loss of yield strength, you can live with the HAZ as it is. The bar itself doesn't *have* to be flexible if the blades are doing all the springing, just make sure to be doing the stress calcs to make sure all your parts are well within their elastic regions. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZuCLHScD21pLJ9cnejNj8cJCbw3XBy5uZEcw8vyokFU2odD2q4gcCwfk1ITztHQn