ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
10/31/23 6:49 p.m.

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm in the Ryobi and Milwaukee 18v ecosystem so I don't think I want to go and add another battery system to my garage. This Ryobi Die Grinder looks like it will do what I am looking for and they say you can use a cutoff wheel with it. 
Thoughts? 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/31/23 6:54 p.m.

I can only speak for the Milwaukee and it's kinda turdish.  As the wheel starts to wear it picks it up as a imbalance and keeps cutting off.  I'm all about electric tools but die grinder and air hammer seem to be the two that haven't translated the best to battery power.  I would say skip the Milwaukee and give the ryobi a shot.

ChrisTropea
10/31/23 7:15 p.m.

Good to know, I watched a comparison video and even though the Milwaukee has a higher RPM it looked like the Ryobi had more torque.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
10/31/23 7:21 p.m.

Home Depot has some good Ryobi deals of 2 batteries , charger and tool for $99 , 

You might check if the tool you want is included , 

As far as "electric" 1110v die grinders Makita were the ones you always see in shops

ChrisTropea
10/31/23 7:51 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I forgot they did that, I'll definitely look into if this is part of one of those deals. 
I have a bunch of chargers but it's never bad to have more batteries. 

ChrisTropea
11/1/23 9:15 a.m.

So I did some searching on the orange home improvement store website and they do have the BOGO deal on the die grinder. $100 for 2 4ah batteries a charger and the tool. 

Worth it for the batteries alone I think. 

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
11/2/23 9:21 a.m.

Personally i hate pistol grip for a die grinder, but I'm guessing air is not an option since you said electric. Have you tried a cordless dremel? 

ChrisTropea
11/2/23 9:24 a.m.

I have a compressor but it wont produce enough CFM to keep an air die grinder useful for more than short spurts, plus compressors are loud. I have a corded dremel but I want something with a little more power behind it for removing rust off and a larger verity of attachments. 

ChrisTropea
11/2/23 8:59 p.m.

So they were not joking when they said next day delivery, time to get some abrasive pads and put it to the test. 

ChrisTropea
11/8/23 9:58 a.m.

Update: I have used this a few times and so far its been great. Its not the most ergonomic tool I have ever used but to me, its just as powerful as the air versions I have used in the past. The 4ah batteries last a good bit of time and I have not gotten it to stall out with Scotch-Brite pads or sanding disks on the tool. 

I will keep using it and update my findings. 

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
11/14/23 10:54 a.m.

Following this as I'm also looking into the same die grinder.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/16/24 6:00 p.m.

If you're cheap and willing to take risks (and ignore the likelihood of false economy): I still don't have a lot of run-time on it, but so far one style of generic cordless die grinder seems promising.

I am not a paid reviewer, I do not get any kickback, I do not have a referral code, but I do have a metric bushel of caveats.
Also, Kobalt 24V die grinders are available for even cheaper.  No experience with those, there are some good ratings, but apparently they use a unique and questionable style of collet.

With coupon and/or a pseudo-discount in honor of the latest made-up 'Consumerism Holiday', this should be $80 delivered with 2x 3Ah batteries [yes I'm the one who wrote the review.  Shoulda been less than 5 stars, but 4 stars always implies the thing is utter crap]: Dufuls die grinder

Looks like the same thing under a different 'brand' w/o batteries [everything in its reviews applies to the Dufuls]: Lingyue die grinder

This thing is sorta like the way cordless tools used to be: portable and handy but not a complete replacement for a 'real' corded (or air-powered) tool.

It is usable/useful for relatively short duration jobs, like maybe 2-3minutes of continuous use, and no more than 50% duty cycle over 10 minutes (complete WAG numbers).

Buzz off a few bolts or a bracket (with a proper thin cutoff wheel, easily 3/8-1/2in dia bolts or 3/16x2in steel), or do final fitting/clearancing, or grind out short welds.  Definitely not good for fishmouthing a full rollcageworth of tube in one sitting, or porting an entire cast iron V-12.  I think you should get the cordless die grinder only if you already have a corded angle grinder.

I'm not trying to diss the cordless too much, just manage expectations.  It is seriously more capable than any 1/8in Dremel tool (speaking of, make sure to get a 1/8in collet for it... which is unavoidable b/c the only non-metric collets on Amazon are a set of 1/8+1/4). 

My biggest issue so far is that the housing gets hot FAST.  As in, too hot to hold the metal directly (however the rubber sleeve remains okay even w/o gloves).  Maybe I'm just paranoid.  I have not taken a look inside the thing to make sure there is grease.  There is some backlash (IDK if planetary reduction or some kind of spline drive) but so far I think it is not getting worse.
Long-term durability is completely unknown.  I'm sure it will not tolerate abuse, and I expect there will be no hope if anything wears out/breaks.

Finding collets to fit is not a problem (Amazon has sets, and the collets from two older HF air die grinders both fit).  IDK about a replacement collet nut, and the nut is not exactly robust (M15x1 thread + 17mm hex = theoretical 0.5mm wall thickness; nuts from the HF air grinders do NOT fit).  The included collet wrenches are extra-flimsy but any 17mm will work and the wrenches may prevent overtightening the nut.

The output torque really is impressive.  It powers a 3in x 0.095 cutoff wheel equal to any air die grinder I've ever used (zero bogging with reasonable cuts).  A 1/2" carbide burr in steel is not a problem.

Battery life is not too bad with the included 3Ah batteries (should be well over 10min at 50% duty cycle).  Running at the 2 slowest speeds, plus not continuously due to heat, helps with battery life too.  Other '21 Volt' generic batteries work, I think these are really 18V Makita style?  I have used the batteries from a SeeSii WH710 impact (the cheap mid-ish-torque which was well rated by Torque Test Channel, and seems okay from what little I've used mine).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nEj1L3gRaabGSgCSsvwcybfjltXRp7bjfnYHv7jPy7fPb0taD6GZYnwMe7Ypgc9e