buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/18/24 4:59 p.m.

When my BMW(hopefully) sells I plan to invest some of the money back into a lift.  I would prefer a two post for working on my cars. I have excessively thick concrete so no worries there. The issue, this is a very tall garage space and I'd love to get the car further up off the ground so I can easily walk and drive under a fully hoisted car. The four post lifts seem to exist in a taller size that I could easily drive my truck under, but then it's tougher to get my engine hoist in or work on suspension.

Does anybody make a tall two post?

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/18/24 8:14 p.m.

As a 6'4" guy with a bad back, following this thread for future reference!

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
6/18/24 11:23 p.m.

Yes. I know extra tall two posts are indeed a thing

Atlas extra tall

One of my techs is 6'5" and requested this one.

I was not impressed with the quality of the Atlas, when it comes to import lifts I am a Challenger man, but dang do they get expensive for extended height

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
6/19/24 10:42 a.m.

My "normal" 2 post usually has the car high enough for my 6'3" buddy to work under it with me. Just as a data point.

Our 12k lift at work appears to go higher than my lift at home (9k). Might be the other option, just shop higher capacity lifts and naturally get more height?

glyn ellis
glyn ellis Reader
6/19/24 2:11 p.m.

Bendpak make some that are very tall  (https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/two-post-lifts/10ap-168-extended-height/) with 89" height (I'd need a stepladder)

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/20/24 8:11 a.m.

That's over 6' below the bars! That's actually tall!

Now I have to decide if it's worth the cost for the tall 2 post over the tall 4 post.

And, you know, sell the BMW first!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/20/24 10:47 a.m.

I just put a BendPak 10APX-181 in and I can completely stand up under the arms and I think I'm 6'2 or 6'3. It's amazing.

Mezus
Mezus New Reader
6/25/24 9:10 a.m.

I am 6'3 and went with the Atlas OH-10x for this reason. On the top stop I can only barely hit my head on drooping components and the lift arms.

The lift only has 2 stage arms in the front and rear, and because of this I've found it difficult to fit short/moderate wheelbase vehicles on the lift if I am lifting from the pinch welds. Other than that it's great, but I'm not sure the extra height is really worth it. Most suspension work is done with the car at shoulder height, which most lifts could achieve. With a normal height lift and a short car, if you really needed it high you could just put it on risers. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/25/24 2:50 p.m.

I like the look of the Atlas OH10x. I realize too if the car's on the lift I can always take the wheels off to gain a little clearance to drive one of our trucks under it. Our garage has doors on both ends. Even though the back door just leads to my yard I still like being able to back the truck right up for unloading soil or wood or whatever.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
7/16/24 5:41 p.m.

Cash in hand, ready to purchase:

Do I want symmetric or assymetric?

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
7/16/24 5:50 p.m.

For a given weight capacity, I'm not sure I see the downside of an asymmetric. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YxvTPu0YVChP9zsnBibhoiD2CJqKnts3dkgiXpZIsgGVA3ecamQuf87MUTdjoWwi