MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
6/22/24 7:40 p.m.

I rebuilt the engine in this car about 3-5K miles ago and the last time I had it out on the road for a club event I noticed it was running just a  tiny bit warmer than usual, but not overheating by any means.

Over the next few weeks every time I checked it, it was low on coolant. So I got out the trusty coolant pressure tester and put 15 psi on it, 20 min later it was down to about 5 psi. Ruhroh....

I looked everywhere and could not find a leak, so I pulled the plugs out for a look see......

So I ran compression next and sure enough #2 and #3 were both low, so......off with it's head!!!

Clearly water has been getting into those two cylinders, the gasket didn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would, but a leak is a leak. When I built the engine I had the block and head skimmed so I would have a good straight clean surface. I'm running 10.3-1 compression, so not terrible. The gasket I used is the same composite one I use when I build a race motor too.

So today I went ahead and cleaned up the block, locktited in the head studs (I've had them back out before, but none of these were loose) as a precaution and put a new composite gasket in place.

Tomorrow I'll get the head all cleaned up and put it back together......

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
6/24/24 3:43 p.m.

That's a shame. Is this for the green car?

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/2/24 9:24 p.m.

Yes.

Got it all buttoned up, still don't know what caused it to go, but the new one seems to be holding OK. I did a 50 mile trip today in 95* temps and didn't lose a drop of watta.....

It needs to be good, as I'm leaving for the national Mini Meet in South Dakota on Sunday. One nice thing, it's supposed to only be in the 70's and 80's there......

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
7/3/24 7:29 p.m.

It's always sumthin......

I was rotating the tires and giving the Racing Green a good once over and saw this - the cup under the ball in the left front was completely broken. Fortunately I had some new ones in stock - even tho it's a PITA to change one without taking the upper control arm off. I managed to get it in tho, but I think I set the suspension height a little high, so I may have to adjust it a bit yet. A quick trip around the block to set the suspension might be a good idea. All the others look fine....no idea why just this one decided to E36 M3 the bed.

Don and I did a 50+ mile hiway run yesterday in 95* plus temps, both cars ran perfectly temperature wise, tho it was pretty hard on us! I also got "spotted" and found my pic on Facebook - the angle of the pic makes it look like no one's driving!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WQIBfaQPIuTYVhVq86VWG0qVNwlJrFjLZR91XUUJsEg3IpnrQIxViPLAwTHC3BU8