1 2 3
Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/28/23 10:13 p.m.

Long story short, this is the 1200 square foot shop I had to get permitted.  When the inspections are all done, I'll come back and enclose the rest.  The last pic is the "engineered flood vent" which is the most stupid idea ever for a shop.  Large hole with an expanded metal grate, perfect for rain and critter ingress.  Watch that disappear also..

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/23 10:22 p.m.

I am extremely jealous. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/28/23 10:24 p.m.

I do believe that is ment to be near the roof line to let out heat. One on each end of the building. Definitely not on the floor. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/23 10:26 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I think its in case of flooding, to keep the structure from collapsing by letting water through. 

Kendall Frederick
3/28/23 10:34 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to MyMiatas :

I think its in case of flooding, to keep the structure from collapsing by letting water through. 

Yes, this is the idea.  My property is in a flood zone, and the county recently passed a new flood ordinance that meant I had to add these, as well as keep the size to 1200 sq ft or less, or I couldn't get a variance for the shop.  The alternative was to raise it 3' above adjacent grade, which is what we did for the house (note edge of new large pond; it's on a couple feet of fill dirt and a stem wall).  The shop is raised about 2' above adjacent grade anyway, which makes the flood vents sort of ridiculous. 

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
3/29/23 9:22 p.m.

The "flood vents" seem really bizarre, isn't flood water generally chock full of stuff which would clog up the expanded metal in pretty short order?

Is the lean-to on the back side of what we see? Will the layout allow for that to be pull through for a truck and trailer, or it is just covered parking for income projects.

Kendall Frederick
3/29/23 9:45 p.m.
NoviceClass said:

The "flood vents" seem really bizarre, isn't flood water generally chock full of stuff which would clog up the expanded metal in pretty short order?

Is the lean-to on the back side of what we see? Will the layout allow for that to be pull through for a truck and trailer, or it is just covered parking for income projects.

The flood vents don't have to flow well, as long as they flow enough water to equalize the level inside and outside.  They're probably a good idea for crawl spaces in foundation walls.  If such things existed here in Florida.. these are going away as soon as the inspection is done.

The lean to is on the back, yes.  I just want it to be covered parking for a project car or two, and probably a tractor.  

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/23 10:25 p.m.

First non-running car is at the shop..  and I'm getting a bunch of angle steel that's been sitting in a buddy's driveway for the past few years to build a truss beam for a mezzanine on one side.  The ladder rack on the truck was built from the first few pieces; I used the wood uprights so I could just pull it out of the stake pockets easily.  However, the steel pieces are heavy enough to make it kind of sketchy, so I am going to go ahead and make angle uprights and do some diagonal bracing to make the rack stronger.  

Anybody have ideas on how to secure the front of the angle steel from sliding?  Something like a net?  I have no good ideas...

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/23 8:32 a.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

First non-running car is at the shop..  and I'm getting a bunch of angle steel that's been sitting in a buddy's driveway for the past few years to build a truss beam for a mezzanine on one side.  The ladder rack on the truck was built from the first few pieces; I used the wood uprights so I could just pull it out of the stake pockets easily.  However, the steel pieces are heavy enough to make it kind of sketchy, so I am going to go ahead and make angle uprights and do some diagonal bracing to make the rack stronger.  

Anybody have ideas on how to secure the front of the angle steel from sliding?  Something like a net?  I have no good ideas...

Are you asking how to keep the steel from sliding off the rack?

If so, I clamp it together with a few c clamps and run the tie downs through one of them.

Kendall Frederick
5/17/23 10:20 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

That's a good idea; I'll try it on the next load.  Thanks!

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
5/24/23 7:36 p.m.

Looks like the shop will be completed before the house. That's getting your priorities straight!!  :)

Kendall Frederick
5/25/23 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Pushrod :

I'm only building a house because I have to build one in order to build the shop.  Dead serious.. I thought about finding another rural piece of land and just building the shop.  We have a condo downtown and my wife is not moving out to Callahan; I may AirBnB the house after it's done.  I'm putting a bathroom in the shop and enclosing a small apartment/assembly room at one end so I can work in there independently of the house.

Kendall Frederick
6/18/23 11:58 p.m.

Went to an auction this weekend and picked up several tools I'd been wanting for a long time, for good prices. Sheet metal brake, slip roll/shear/press brake, shop press, a bigger engine crane, and another welding table.  Perhaps the best deals were the shelves; they're angle steel and plywood, weigh ~400 lbs each, and I paid $25 each.  Of course, then came the realization that I had to load up and move all of this stuff.  Those are really nice, cheap, **400 lb** shelves.. sigh.

Rented a lift gate truck and it wasn't actually horrible.  A guy with a skid steer helped us load, and the unloading went fairly well with the lift gate.  The welding table is probably 6-800 lbs, and we just slid it as there's no way we were lifting it.

Here's the mess at the end of unloading.  Waiting on the loft, insulation, and wiring before storing/organizing more permanently.

Speaking of the loft, I got some free heavy steel angle from a friend and I'm making this truss to span the end for the loft.  I think an electric hoist is in the near future to get the thing up into place.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/23 8:02 a.m.

sweet looking shop.   I'm in to enjoy the progress!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/19/23 8:53 a.m.

Looking good!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/19/23 3:24 p.m.

The flood vent looks like a great place to hang a nice AC unit or beefy shop fan for airflow.

Kendall Frederick
6/19/23 10:05 p.m.
84FSP said:

The flood vent looks like a great place to hang a nice AC unit or beefy shop fan for airflow.

I'm planning some ductless mini split type units, so that may very well be what ends up in that opening.  I have some spare panels in case I decide to close them up.

Kendall Frederick
6/19/23 10:45 p.m.

Finished welding the truss and got it lined up for the lift.  I have a chain hoist we're going to use to get it up there.

Felt like I got on a pretty good roll welding the fish plates on the seams..

Kendall Frederick
6/23/23 10:33 p.m.

It's up.  I did this solo today, with the help of a chain hoist.  I took my time getting it in the air, and it went fine.  Welded a support post at each end, and drilled the end metal studs for two bolts on each side.  Then of course I forgot the bolts in the car I didn't bring.  Otherwise it's set; I may add some bracing after the floor is on, we'll see.

JoeYuqui
JoeYuqui New Reader
7/11/23 11:43 a.m.

Wow!  That's such a great looking shop and all.   Looks like you have some acreage there.    I'm a bit jealous!  

Kendall Frederick
7/11/23 3:15 p.m.

In reply to JoeYuqui :

Thanks!  We have just shy of 10 acres.  I'm ready to get electricity out there and to have the house done so I can start actually doing car stuff there.  I did get the loft floored last weekend; need to paint the floor and then it'll be time to work on a beam trolley/electrical hoist system to get stuff up there (and lift stuff around the shop generally).

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
7/13/23 7:40 p.m.

Kendall, my apologies I've now just arrived at this point in the story. this building rocks is this perhaps an Alan's factory garage ?   oh oh oh  did I miss the two post lift stacked on the floor awaiting uprighting??

Kendall Frederick
7/13/23 9:54 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

There will be a lift!  I'm waiting on power and the completion of the house before we put it in.  I'm trying to avoid the situation where it's ten years later and I'm still working on the shop while the cars languish..   :-)

This building is from Tubular Building Systems in Lake City, FL.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/23 9:57 p.m.

I'm assuming that piece of angle runs from the bottom of the beam to the floor.  If so a large increase in buckling strength could be realized by tieing it to the stud in the middle of its vertical height.  

Loft looks great though.

Kendall Frederick
7/13/23 10:54 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I have indeed welded a strap across it to the stud about 3' from the floor.  I tried to ridiculously over-engineer the loft just in case I decide to put cars up there or something.  I'm joking.. I hope!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EXaS7TmwJvGCNzBU08dAAq2HbzRClu6hPJuyBvfNGfPBEQ5PEXZdwtgVYPh8IAGA