gh0st
gh0st New Reader
3/26/24 3:10 p.m.

Hub stands would be awesome, but they're so expensive and also fancier than I really need. I'm thinking about building some tall cribs out of 2x4s, but they take up a lot of room when not in use and with the wheel on it's still hard to get to some bolts. Are there any simpler solutions out there that I'm not thinking about? I do have a two post lift if that could help in this situation.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
3/26/24 4:05 p.m.

You can unbolt one end of the shock and/or spring so that corner moves freely, position it, torque, and then reattach the shock

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/26/24 4:38 p.m.

Build the 2x4 cribbing. Yes, they take up a bit of space but they flat work. I keep mine stacked in the corner. 

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/26/24 6:32 p.m.

Floor jack under the lower ball joint. When it starts to lift the corner of the car off of the jack stand it's at ride height, or at least close enough.

gh0st
gh0st New Reader
3/26/24 7:14 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

yeah, but in that case it isn't high enough to get in there and maneuver around. With cribbing I can get the car 18" off the ground and that makes things a little easier.

Pippins
Pippins New Reader
4/2/24 9:08 a.m.

I leave all four  wheels off and put a jack stand stand under each wheel, all at roughly the same height. Then I lower the car onto them until it's barely the weight. 

Yeah it might not be perfect but if you're within a half inch or inch of your fully settled ride height, you're good enough. The jack stands also give you much better access depending on the fastener locations.

What you don't want to do is have all your bushings in shear stress all the time plus they will be beyond the designed stress at full suspension deflection.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/24 2:00 p.m.

Came in to say +1 on the cribbing suggestion or 4 Rhino ramps.  Drive up on one set, jack the car up until it sits on the 2nd set.  Gives you plenty of room underneath.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/24 4:52 p.m.

Another option would be to have your alignment person loosen and re-torque while they've got it on the rack.

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
4/7/24 7:46 a.m.
APEowner said:

Another option would be to have your alignment person loosen and re-torque while they've got it on the rack.

This. 

Or if you know anyone with a 4-post lift, they're perfect for that. Just loosen + re-tighten the bolts while it's up on the lift

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/12/24 9:49 a.m.

I do it on my ramps. I have nice race ramps for the front and cheaper HF ramps for the rear. It gets everything up in the air and works just fine. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oy1WBuMinkURbbx3FkRXVw0VEu7a4KLlyYmQPc6oGr7XbvK3yz4zgbDZFMSGLIj3