eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
6/5/24 8:35 a.m.

Hi folks; car in question is a '76 Volvo 245 with the B21 and K-Jet FI. I'm helping my brother with some fuel system issues (surging, leaks and hard starting). There was only one fuel pump on the car (the main pump that is external and beside the tank). The main pump is about 2 years old and seems to work well.
We added an internal tank pump and corrected all the issues with leaks. The car now runs and drives well - the only issue is it can be hard to start. You need to crank it for ~30 seconds or more before it catches. To me it seems like it's needing fuel - however I have not checked it with a fuel pressure gauge.
The car does not have an accumulator and we can add one if needed - but I was also wondering if instead we add a momentary switch to run the fuel pumps for a few seconds before starting the car? I'm thinking that if we can build some fuel pressure before hitting the starter - do you think that would serve a similar purpose as the accumulator does?

I've read that others remove the accumulator when they fail, so I'm thinking why install a part that's failure prone?

Thoughts?    Thanks, Paul 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LMpE87RQeC01LEEdw48DsnICxePkxnwqIQAOd4RiusePDvL5FrYfgGkFUjGfn06U