1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 160
e30Matt
e30Matt SuperDork
6/28/23 12:12 a.m.

Honestly it doesn't seem like anyone is trying to do me any favors as the AMG isn't on the testing list, and while the 510 is it's 2s off pace and the Cortina is even worse.  I remember liking the Ford Econobox but that was a long time ago when we tested as a spec series before the eventual multiclass series.  I'll still defer to the hive mind, but I haven't driven car, in real life or sim, in anger since February.   

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/23 11:56 a.m.

The MGA is a good car.  A bit weird but good.  Has the MG tractor thing going on but I was fast in it.  There is the BMW 2002.  That thing is lots of fun!!!!   

dean1484
6/28/23 12:01 p.m.

One issue is that the MGA is on the V60 tires.  If that car was on the V70 tires and had a 5-speed it would be the top dog for sure.  Just V70's and it would be so so good

I like the 911 but I was faster in testing with the Alpine, the 2002, and the MGA if that helps

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/23 2:52 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

All I heard was...

Brad in the Mustang

Sauce in the Merc

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/28/23 3:57 p.m.

I'm going to try to get in a little practice this afternoon, but I won't be able to join tonight's testing... have fun folks! 

BradLTL
6/29/23 10:05 a.m.

The Mustang is a pig and doesn't corner... so a fairly accurate recreation... despite that I was 4-6 seconds a lap faster in it than the 2002 at the Red Bull Ring, and not completely destroyed at Brands Hatch.  So... 'Murica...

Talladega Nights

BradLTL
6/29/23 11:02 a.m.
e30Matt
e30Matt SuperDork
6/30/23 1:02 p.m.

I'll take whatever is available between the 510 (still haven't driven it but seemed reasonable enough), Ford Econobox, or Merc. 

dean1484
7/1/23 11:20 a.m.
dean1484
7/1/23 11:44 a.m.

So this week will be the last week of testing.  If we are going to include the big bore cars i am concerned that we are introducing a large imbalance in performance that will make this series less than competitive.

Brads example where he is 4 seconds faster in the mustang versus the 2002 is exactly what I am trying to avoid.  

I really think it is a bad idea to use the big bore cars.  Yes they are fun to drive and if we are using them I obviously want the Merc. For me it is by far the fastest car. 

Another option I just thought of is that we all race the same car every week.  The lowest finishing person for the week picks the car for the following week.  If that person has already picked it goes to the next highest finishing player to pick that has not picked.  The car is picked right after the race.  Once a car is used it can not be used again.  

This could result in something like the Hillman Imp being raced a Goodwood but I would be ok with that.  

Another option is to do a big bore series with the falcon, Merc, and the Mustang.  Mandatory swap every three races. Do a nine race series.  The HC carry's through car swaps.  You pick the car you want to swap to every three races no repeat cars can be used. 

BradLTL
7/2/23 12:44 p.m.

Most of my 4 seconds is due to my lack of practice. The Mustang understeers like a pig, it's slow in the corners but a lot easier for me to be consistent with understeer vs oversteer. I actually think the 2002 is likely the fastest of the group.

If you take away the big bore cars, I'll go with the Bimmer...

e30Matt
e30Matt SuperDork
7/2/23 8:09 p.m.

Dean, I think that imbalance was the idea behind running some super tight tracks to even things out. Still worth testing stuff out though. 

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/23 7:50 a.m.

I liked the way the Alfa drove during testing so I'll start off with that one.

dean1484
7/3/23 11:14 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

We can run with what ever at this point.

Are we going lottery or are people just picking cars?

How do we address the HC system as those in small bore cars will be hammered by the HC while a big bore car won't notice it until you have 150 Kg or more.

BradLTL
7/3/23 11:31 a.m.

I'd prefer to pick so I don't get stuck in a car that I can't drive for E36M3 and am uncompetitive and miserable for the season.  Maybe limit how many of each car to keep up the variety (first come, first serve).

BradLTL
7/3/23 11:34 a.m.

How do we address the HC system as those in small bore cars will be hammered by the HC while a big bore car won't notice it until you have 150 Kg or more.

I think small bore HC x 1; big bore HC x1.5.  

The handicap won't hurt the acceleration on the bigger cars much to start, but it'll hurt in braking a lot.  

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/3/23 12:37 p.m.
BradLTL said:

I'd prefer to pick so I don't get stuck in a car that I can't drive for E36M3 and am uncompetitive and miserable for the season.  

+1

I'm good with the Ford E_scort.  I don't think I'll be all that fast in it, but at least it's fun to drive and sounds good.  And it makes me think of my Cossie powered Capri. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/3/23 1:04 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Apply handicap as % of mass

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/3/23 1:55 p.m.

% of mass should work.  A simple excel table could be built.

For cars, if we want to self-pick and want variety, we can do a bit of self-determined weighting.  Pick cars in reverse finishing order from last year.  Any duplicates get an automatic HC, a second dup gets another HC etc.

We could even do a bit more gamesmanship by allowing anyone who wants a random pic automatically gets zero HC (even if it is a duplicate).  If they already had a HC (during the season) a random pic automatically reduces the HC by 1 (maybe 2?).

Switching to a car already used during the season gets the same HC treatment?  This is not a huge deal for low placers, it will go away quickly. For contenders it could be a concern.

If anyone jumps in mid-season, same rules apply, but of course we certainly want to have a mercy rule for newbies (let them pick anything).

Thoughts?  I know, I know, what to do about Brad. He didn't run last season, clearly not a newbie, hmmm....

dean1484
7/3/23 3:00 p.m.

Percent of mass or I like the 1.5 multiplier. Easier to keep track of.  But both great ideas. 

Air. If you want to run the whole HC thing for dup cars etc have at it.  I am either going 911. 2002 or Merc. The alpha is also a possibility. The 510 is also a great car. I will insist on changing the sound file.   In fact I will most likely take the 510 unless someone else wants it.  

Also. Let's try and pick cars this week if we can. I will lock people in in a server set up. It does not keep people from running other cars it just makes setup for the start of the series easier.  

Also. Pro if you want to edit any of them we can do that and then put up the final set for the series.  

BradLTL
7/3/23 3:29 p.m.
aircooled said:

Thoughts?  I know, I know, what to do about Brad. He didn't run last season, clearly not a newbie, hmmm....

We're doing this in Need for Speed right?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/3/23 9:59 p.m.

Here is an example of the HC table.  Not sure what the base HC should be (based off of a 1000kg standard).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/4/23 10:29 a.m.

Someone posted a classic Touring Car at Brands Hatch video on the main forum.  One of the races was mostly Mini's, Imps, Cortinas, and a random Jag.  So that might be the "small bore".version of the cars in this collection. There is a rather good duel between a Mini and the Jag at 2:34:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/classic-touring-car-brands-hatch/256472/page1/

dean1484
7/4/23 4:01 p.m.

Ok that is cool racing!!!

BradLTL
7/4/23 4:52 p.m.
aircooled said:

Here is an example of the HC table.  Not sure what the base HC should be (based off of a 1000kg standard).

1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0WpOvZaOuSdtBltUQAYSmTSbvuyv0QTqOvH0wic3f0FLGoRulECR60XVPG3uDlNF