1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 160
Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/27/23 12:32 p.m.

Yeah, great racing last night.  Even stuck mid-pack I had a lot of fun.

I did a little reading, and it seems that if you go four off and "gain an advantage" AC can delete the lap...  may explain what I experienced last week, and I think a couple of folks had that happen last night.

Not sure if this is something that can be addressed in our race settings?  I know when it happened to me there was no one else around, so I didn't gain anything, but I was suddenly in last place.

Sk1dmark (Forum Supporter)
Sk1dmark (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/23 12:41 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Apologies again on (almost assuredly) causing that on restarts. I had a clean first one! I blame lowering braking pressure, and plenty of other excuses too

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/23 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Sk1dmark (Forum Supporter) :

Naaa  I am going to blame Brad. . .   Even if it was not his fault!!!!  ;-)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/27/23 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I think it's mostly how the track is built / setup.  We use a fair amount of custom designed tracks that may not be a solidly designed as the original AC tracks (e.g.Brad going to hell at the end of one of the races) so we do run into oddities once in a while.  I think I have a picture of Dean's Corvette jammed into a fence (which he could absolutely not get out of) at one of the historic tracks we ran!

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/23 7:32 p.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to Sk1dmark (Forum Supporter) :

Naaa  I am going to blame Brad. . .   Even if it was not his fault!!!!  ;-)

The first one, I was a victim and you were collateral damage.

The second, well you just showed a bit too much of that rear end and it was too tempting not to tap it. 

7/27/23 8:23 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Dat Asscort

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/27/23 10:03 p.m.

Results and Standings.  Let me know if you see any issues:

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/23 10:30 p.m.

No aircooled in the standings? 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/23 11:12 p.m.

I still want to know who buttered my tires.

dean1484
7/28/23 2:55 p.m.

Butter. . .   Yummmmmm   LOL        Now I want some pancakes with butter and syrup.   

dean1484
7/28/23 2:57 p.m.

We need to decide if we are taking a mid season holiday this week.  I am away.  The server is up and running and can be used however if there is a power outage or something I am not around to do anything about it.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/28/23 3:20 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Interesting.  Clearly some sort of self-loathing.  It is interesting to note that the points are currently rather close, with a clear exception... who, at this point, might as well have a full uHaul trailer attached! (updated)

Also of note is 16 different drivers have participated in this season already, and that is not even counting the two "rolling chicannes" that have run!

Regarding next week:  Well, I am sure most could use some practice on the current track, but it would also be a good time to play with some potential series cars for the next series.  Would it be hard to put up another server, or two?  If nothing else, I can come up with a collection of mid 60's F1 cars from the same creator as the cars we are running now.  Or maybe revisit the Gran Tourismo inspired collection (mostly 90's street modified Japanese cars) we played with previously, which might be appropriate since the movie is about to come out.

dean1484
7/28/23 4:14 p.m.

No wonder this did not work.  We were 4 wide going into turn 1.  LOL

dean1484
7/28/23 4:18 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/28/23 5:58 p.m.

Oh my!   That second one has your name all over it.  It looks exactly like the series car!

BTW Brea is just north of Disneyland... I sense a "family vacation" in your future!

"But honey, why not Disney World, it's so much closer?"

"I HAVE MY REASONS!"

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
7/29/23 9:09 p.m.

That second RX3 looks phenomenal. No asking prices to be found on that site though. Weird.

And it wasn't really your fault Dean, but it looks it would have been a good idea to run a wider line in T1 for that 1st start.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/29/23 9:18 p.m.

Would have been better to follow the other rule:  Never run on the outside of a Mustang!

Here are some highlights:

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/30/23 8:11 a.m.

That Esscort didn't feel nearly as composed as it looked... cheeky

DarkMonohue
7/30/23 12:59 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

I'm in! Partially, anyway. Several cars wouldn't load up for me and might require some more DLCs to function correctly. Otherwise, with some help from dean1484 and a timely link from Sk1dmark, I was able to connect to the server tonight and managed to take a broad selection of exciting vintage cars through all manner of unplanned maneuvers. The seed has been planted.

Following up on this, I got back on the server yesterday and tried all the cars that were giving me checksum errors last week and was able to drive all of them individually, using the "Drive" option rather than "Join".  I then tried to Join (race) with each of them, and only the 911RS 2.7 gave me the checksum error.  It's a bit baffling, as I have the requisite DLCs installed.  And this morning, just to make a fool of me, the 911 loaded successfully when I tried the Join option.  Go figure.

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
7/30/23 1:07 p.m.
DarkMonohue
7/30/23 1:17 p.m.

Throwing this in here since there's some discussion about hardware.  I am using a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals with a Logitech G25 H-pattern shifter, all purchased used and piecemeal.  The G25 shifter's serial connector had to be rewired slightly to talk to the G27 wheel base, but it works well, and the G25 version provides a sequential shift option.  So far it's been a good setup for me.  It is not pro-grade, but is widely available secondhand and is common enough that mods and upgrades are available and well documented.

Logitech shifters are, as delivered, not great.  Shift effort is absurdly low and they don't feel tight or well built.  A while ago I added a preload spacer (I used a red plastic insulator from a spade terminal) behind the shift detent spring to firm up the fore-and-aft detents, and it's way better than out of the box.  There's a good YouTube walkthrough here for anyone who wants to give it a try.

Yesterday I also replaced a couple of shoulder bolts in the shifter with new bolts that have a thicker head in an effort to remove some of the ridiculous lateral play in the 3-4 gate, and it looks like that was an unexpected success.  Lateral free play when in third or fourth gear is down from about 9/16" to about 1/8" at the top of the lever.  Shifting is more precise, but it will still balk selecting third or fourth gear if I get sloppy.  I think it's getting snagged on the reverse mechanism (push down and shift to 6th for reverse gear) because it's too easy to push the shifter downward.  Apparently the fix is to put an o-ring on the shift lever to add some friction as detailed in the video above.  Looks like a trip to Hazard Fraught for some o-ring kits is in the cards.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/30/23 2:38 p.m.

I have a spare original G27 shifter (I might have two?) that has already been modded with an 3D printed shift gate if you want / need it.  I have no use for it now.

I can also recommend the aftermarket shifter I got which has a far more realistic / solid feel (and mounts a bit lower closer). The downside is it is far more realistic and shift changes are slightly slower.  I think it was around $70.  I would have to look up the specifics.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/30/23 3:02 p.m.
Celisuzu said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

It seems I can't message you on discord either then...

That's not me.  The unique identifier for my account is prodarwin#1538

I think its time at least one other person become capable at admitting people into the discord.  Any member should be able to send an invite, any mod (of which there are many) should be able to update the member's role to include 'GRM FORUM' and 'Assetto Corsa'

DarkMonohue
7/30/23 3:30 p.m.
aircooled said:

I have a spare original G27 shifter (I might have two?) that has already been modded with an 3D printed shift gate if you want / need it.  I have no use for it now.

I can also recommend the aftermarket shifter I got which has a far more realistic / solid feel (and mounts a bit lower closer). The downside is it is far more realistic and shift changes are slightly slower.  I think it was around $70.  I would have to look up the specifics.

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm good with what I have now.  A coworker has a 3D printer as well as a G29/G920, so between the two of us we are coming up with some good solutions.

Which aftermarket shifter did you go with?

7/30/23 4:58 p.m.

Man, that Joe dirt guy really seemed to get in a lot of folks way!

1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tIVxObNSPtGSkFCeaqdTJdNwTcyA9DXDkaCJCo0jFLv53EHlUbku9aHgBOoz2a4q