1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 160
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/18/21 6:49 p.m.
dean1484 said:

BTW we came to the conclusion we need closer racing so we have loaded up for your driving pleasure Fiat 500's.  No not the new ones the old ones with a blistering 28??? HP.  Ya I know it sounds dumb and it may be but they are fun and should make for some really close racing all be it at 45-50 MPH with the wind at your back running down hill.

I learned with these cars that there is actually an uphill part at the end of the back strait at Nurburgring GP track last night

Yes, other cars that should result in some pretty close racing, from slow to not so slow

Fiat 500 Abarth (new)

AE 86

NA Miata

GT 86

ND Miata

BMWs (several street car choices that work well)

370Z

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/18/21 6:53 p.m.

Is there no Lime Rock track anywhere? I've checked the various mod sites and so far I can't find one.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/18/21 7:07 p.m.

Yeah, Lime Rock is one of the few tracks that has not been made.  I think I read someone was in the process of making it (or commissioned someone to do it).

Apparently there used to be a Spec Miata model out there, but it has disappeared (probably ran off the road), so I cannot find it.

In the mean time I put up VIR.  It has a number of options in track size, so we will need to decide on that.  I also added a slightly faster car as an option if we want to go "full race" (almost 100 hp!!!, there is a 125hp version also).  VIR, the Mini, and the "metro" are now in the folder.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/18/21 7:11 p.m.

I was trying to avoid extra cars, because I ran into the 'no available slots' thing again, and so did wae last night.

Plus they way they are setup is such a crapshoot.  The OE street cars are mostly pretty good without weird handling quirks so should result in some pretty tight racing.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/18/21 7:26 p.m.

I hope that someone has washed the windshield on the Minis.  That Fiat is impossible when you're driving into the sun.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/18/21 7:39 p.m.

You can disable that effect in Custom Shader Patch settings under Windscreen Settings (or you can set to remove all dirt). 

I can remove the Mini.  I turns out it is substantially faster then the F500.  The track is rather well done though.  I figured out how to change the date. Setting the track to actual current conditions is.... a bit harsh.

Lots of track layouts to play with.  I suspect the lower left one is the best to start with:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/21 9:49 a.m.

I will see about changing up the server tonight. 

kingbeann
kingbeann New Reader
2/19/21 10:08 a.m.

Thanks to Aircooled for organizing this thread and posting up the overview of getting started in AC. This thread prompted me to buy AC and dust off the Logitech Driving Force wheel from the PS2. I went out to the grm_test server and laid down the slowest lap last night. I downloaded the Suzuki cars but got kicked from the session if I tried to drive one, saying all slots are full. Still haven't done the discord thing but will try to join for some weekly racing to be a rolling obstacle

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/19/21 10:27 a.m.
kingbeann said:

Thanks to Aircooled for organizing this thread and posting up the overview of getting started in AC. This thread prompted me to buy AC and dust off the Logitech Driving Force wheel from the PS2. I went out to the grm_test server and laid down the slowest lap last night. I downloaded the Suzuki cars but got kicked from the session if I tried to drive one, saying all slots are full. Still haven't done the discord thing but will try to join for some weekly racing to be a rolling obstacle

The 'no slots available' glitch has happened to a few of us.  It only happens with modded cars (anti-cheating thing).  When dean reconfigures to stock cars it should be fine.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/19/21 10:28 a.m.

If it means anything, I am able to use the 454 and V12 Lianas in single-player mode.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/19/21 10:42 a.m.
wae said:

If it means anything, I am able to use the 454 and V12 Lianas in single-player mode.

Yeah, so can I.

From what I understand, the server runs a checksum on its files and compares to the checksum of your files and somehow its determining that they don't match, therefore your car may have different properties (CHEATER!!!!!!!).

Local mode cheating is a non-issue, no checksum is run.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/19/21 1:05 p.m.

So, are you saying there is no way to run modded cars on the server?  Maybe I need to change the name, or some identifier in the model, so it does not get associated with a model that is out there?

If so, that would suck, since one of the plans was to create versions of our personal cars (past or present) and run them.  I have to make numerous changes to the Corvair model to create my car. 

I suspect that would screw up custom liveries also.  I have a racing Yugo (which could be good for slow close racing) model I downloaded that I should be able to do custom liveries for it pretty easy.  We could all provide pics of liveries we like (as long as they aren't terribly complicated) and I could create custom ones for everyone's cars (Dean would have to apply the cars to drivers of course).

E.g.  Here is a quick (kind of VanHalen inspired) livery test (I can do a lot better of course):

dean1484
2/19/21 1:11 p.m.

I was running the cars on the server.  There is something different in there setup.

dean1484
2/19/21 1:13 p.m.

I really wish there was a way for the users to download the content from the server.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/19/21 1:17 p.m.

I suspect you have both versions loaded right? (it's all the same model).  There should be a base Suzuki and a mod for the V12 and the 454.   Maybe the base Suzuki will not work?  I don't think I changed that at all though.

(edit): I just checked, I can get in and drive the car.  Maybe make sure to restart your AC, and worst case, uninstall the car (select car in CM, click Delete button at bottom) and re-download and install it again?

Do we want to stay with Nurburg, or use VIR (it's in the download folder now).

wae
wae PowerDork
2/19/21 1:38 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The VIR short course seems much less like a punishment than the Nurburgring when you're driving the Fiat.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/19/21 2:24 p.m.
aircooled said:

So, are you saying there is no way to run modded cars on the server?  Maybe I need to change the name, or some identifier in the model, so it does not get associated with a model that is out there?

If so, that would suck, since one of the plans was to create versions of our personal cars (past or present) and run them.  I have to make numerous changes to the Corvair model to create my car. 

No, obviously I have been able to get many mods to work.  But that glitch with the GMC Truck and both of the v8/v12 Suzukis is something that ONLY happens with mods.  

Whats weird is in both cases I downloaded the mods from the exact same place as everyone else.  Wae did the same thing.

The only thing I can try is re-downloading them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/19/21 2:47 p.m.

Yeah, the truck thing had something to do with how it was modded. Something was missing. The models and how they are setup can be pretty convoluted.  E.g. I have no idea where they define what to use as a skin (there is something in the CM, but it doesn't seem consistent).  Some times it's a .dds file, sometimes not, and yet there is still a colored skin (the issue I was having with the Geo mod).  It's pretty strange, and all the tutorials online talk about modding the base cars, which all have Photoshop files supplied for them in the base install (that is super easy to figure out).

dean1484
2/19/21 10:57 p.m.

Server updated with VIR.  Even this little track seems long in this car.  Best Lap is a 1:49.9.  There is a bit more in it.  Tuning these is intresting as it is all with tire pressures and you also have to be really carful with shifting.  some times it is better to ride 3rd as you hold speed where as if you go to 4th you will start slowing down.  I think we should race these and then go to a Mimi with more power.  These will however creat close racing!!!

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/20/21 8:24 a.m.

Another entertaining slow car option is the Ford Anglia. Lots of lurid four-wheel drifts. I've been enjoying it on the Highlands Short track - fastest lap I've managed is 1:06.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/20/21 9:49 p.m.

If we want to spend a bit more time on some cars, depending on the cars, I can try and create some custom liveries.  Here is something I was playing with:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/20/21 10:03 p.m.

I turned on the shader patch.... mother of god. Do you play like this Aircooled?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/21/21 12:13 a.m.

Depends on the track and the time of day.  I have not seen it in a while, but yes, it is extreme when it happens.

As noted above, you can turn that off (or down I think) if you want.  I have not had to yet since the time of day for the tracks we run it has not been an issue.

dean1484
2/21/21 2:46 p.m.

I messed with the shader pack as well and while it is kind of cool all the colors seem to be washed out. Everything looks like you have sepia mode turned on. It also made the cooling fans on my GPU crank up a bit. 

dean1484
2/21/21 2:48 p.m.

Having figured out that the Abarth 595  is RWD it all makes sense that it drives like a underpowered old 911

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4axW3YEoHATbKATWhsFuFiwjti97cqumsjHleELqbpElJ4NYXamrSWcAZqHUsUpo