The hairdresser makes for the inside:

The lawyer gets a bit of grass and gets a bit sideways:

The hairdresser makes an escape:

Drag race:

Photo finish:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/26/21 7:52 p.m.

It's a bit weird how the grass quality changes in the shots.  I am shooting them in 4K, so maybe I will try lower.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/26/21 7:56 p.m.

Oh I totally forgot about that tight finish!  That was good fun.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/26/21 8:54 p.m.

Funny thing about Mid Ohio...  If you totally wipe out in turn one and wind up skipping across the grass to the kink, it doesn't seem to realize that you've just skipped 3 corners.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/26/21 9:11 p.m.

Finally got my steering wheel and pedal setup. Tried a few laps and tweaked a few settings, but I'm still struggling, especially with braking. The force feedback through the wheel is strange - it seems very heavy even unloaded, so it's hard to gauge when it's loading up. That, and the "road surface" thumping feels very artificial and is distracting. Braking is tough to feel, and pedal pressure seems really high. Throttle, clutch, and paddle shifting are fine, so at least there's that. Any suggestions on what I should adjust to make braking and steering feel more natural?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/26/21 9:22 p.m.

What wheel and pedals?  I was having issues with the brake being to heavy, messing with the limits setting helped.  Bringing the max down made the pedal max out quicker, so less pressure was required.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/27/21 6:09 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

G920. I already brought the brake pedal travel down to 50%, but I think I may need to go further, at which point I may start to lose precision. I wonder if I can open up the pedal unit and physically modify it to reduce the tension.

Edit: Apparently this is a common complaint, but there is a simple mod. I know what I'll be doing later today.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/27/21 8:20 a.m.

So here is the thing I only recently discovered regarding that rubber piece.  Only the first 50% of the travel does anything on the G920.  So I'm not sure removing the rubber actually improves anything.

What helped me immensely was to bring up the 'pedals' app in AC so you can see brake input real time while you drive.  It will help you get used to providing the right pressure.

Regarding FFB I am happy to share my settings.  They are certainly not perfect, but they don't bother me.  FFB on the straights is a bit clunky feeling, but I gather that's because its a gear driven setup, not belt driven.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/27/21 8:44 a.m.

Interesting that the mod is to remove the stopper.  For g27's, the popular mod was to add one!  Guess it depends on what type of feel you want.  Be warned, apparently after the g27, the pedal was not linear in feedback, so I suspect you will see a rapid ramp up at the point where the stopper was. You can get a special cord to run the pedals directly to the computer if you want to get rid of that.

There is also a FFB clip / tuner app you might try.  It allows you to see a graph of the FFB output so you can see if it is maxing out and clipping, which will create a strange feedback feel.  It makes it very easy to adjust it and saves settings per car I am pretty sure (so if someone models a 60's Cadillac you can turn it all the way down):

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ffbclip-app.7910/

Misc - RasmusP's LUT Guide for G27/29 and DFGT | RaceDepartment

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/27/21 9:01 a.m.

Here is another suggested add on app:  Helicorsa, it gives you a good overview of cars around you.  I still need to figure out the best placement.  I currently have it just under the rear view, but I might try putting it right in my line of sight.  I will add, and the above to the first page.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/

title_small.jpg

Here is another app I am suggesting:  Sidekick, adds a detailed info bar to replace the stock one.  The green numbers to the right are the tire temps that change into brake temps when braking (which is nice).  Click on each section to change what it reports.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sidekick.11007/

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/27/21 9:15 a.m.

While I am on a roll, here is how you change from stupid European counting digits to 'merican freedom units.:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/21 11:25 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Another entertaining slow car option is the Ford Anglia. Lots of lurid four-wheel drifts. I've been enjoying it on the Highlands Short track - fastest lap I've managed is 1:06.

Quoting so we remember to test this car this Wednesday. 

dean1484
2/27/21 11:28 a.m.
aircooled said:

If we want to spend a bit more time on some cars, depending on the cars, I can try and create some custom liveries.  Here is something I was playing with:

Oh My.   Yes we need this!!!

dean1484
2/27/21 11:31 a.m.

You know I just might consider wraping my H2 with that Air!!!  

Or better yet if I ever do a challenge car that has to be made a reality. 

dean1484
2/27/21 11:34 a.m.

Dam Air the more I look at the the more details I pick up on. 

For those that don't understand the Tangerine Torpedo I can explain it in the Discord this week. It is a funny story coming out of a Sim race many years ago. (How I took out the whole field with out hitting anyone.)  smiley

dean1484
2/27/21 11:47 a.m.
nocones said:

I've been playing with the vehicle editor.  OMG is there a lot ot unpack.  Once you start to get the hang of it it's not to bad.  Though I only have blender and it makes doing textures and stuff complicated.  And I don't actually know how to do blender.    I posted about this in my build thread but the AC thread seems like a better spot.

But I have managed to strip all the body off a Praga R1, Duplicate the seats, remove the digital steering wheel and installed the steering wheel I designed in Sketchup for the LMP 360.  I have also changed gear ratios to match the 5MT trans I have and adjusted HP levels to match a 2002 wrx.  OH and added a sound file.  So I currently have this super fun go/kart that I am building more onto.  Eventually I will try to adjust the suspension to match the design of the car.  

Then it will be time to do the Midget...  

Dam that looks cool!!!  I need to learn more about the car modding but for now I will let others take the lead in that. Learning/managing the server has my plate full enough at the moment. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/27/21 12:26 p.m.

Wow, I suck at this. Even on tracks and in cars with which I'm quite familiar, I'm struggling to achieve any sort of consistency. I'm slowly getting used to the brake (I cut the travel down to 40%, which helped some), but it's going to be a long while before I'm anything like fast in any car with more than 50hp.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/27/21 1:16 p.m.

Yeah, that is pretty much how it works.  It takes a while to get used to.  Make sure to under drive a bit and keep playing with the settings until they are more to your liking.  

I have still not fully adjusted from PC2.  AC seems to behave a bit differently at the limit, you have to be super careful if you start skidding.  It seems like the transition from (tire) drift to skid and back are harsher.

Probably a good idea to stay with easier to drive cars for a bit, but we should certainly throw in some crazy stuff now and then just for perspective.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/28/21 12:41 p.m.

A bit of an update:

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/28/21 6:49 p.m.

Put in a handful of laps on the server just to confirm that I could actually connect and run without problems. Seemed to work fine, so as long as Discord cooperates and I manage to actually be home on Wednesday at 2100EST, I should be able to take part this week.

dean1484
2/28/21 9:41 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Put in a handful of laps on the server just to confirm that I could actually connect and run without problems. Seemed to work fine, so as long as Discord cooperates and I manage to actually be home on Wednesday at 2100EST, I should be able to take part this week.

yes smiley

dean1484
2/28/21 9:42 p.m.

You know that this actually has had me looking a Mini's to see if I could pick up a really cheep one. . . Wife is going to kill me. . . . .

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/28/21 9:58 p.m.

Cheaper than a Lamborghini.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/1/21 8:57 a.m.
dean1484 said:
02Pilot said:

Another entertaining slow car option is the Ford Anglia. Lots of lurid four-wheel drifts. I've been enjoying it on the Highlands Short track - fastest lap I've managed is 1:06.

Quoting so we remember to test this car this Wednesday. 

I've been experimenting with the slowest cars I've found in the game. Big sprint races on short tracks with Karmann Ghias, Anglias, Abarth 595SS (I think this may need to be bumped to Stage 1 for balance), and Bugeye Sprites are competitive and immensely silly. Making the track surface poor only adds to the fun.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3a894dDKtuBPmO75kV6OnAfLH8sM2OObOXyn1CBA084pqDl1zw5P89Lwet3OTvJs