1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 160
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/21 10:28 a.m.

I have not tried the LMP yet

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/7/21 1:55 p.m.

Agreed on the slower cars. The Bridge is just too fast for them; they need a short sprint track. I wonder if a drift track would work.

As far as other cars, the Imp as it stands is every bit as entertaining as the race Sprite, and faster. I don't know if you want to tinker with the line-up at this point, but I also found an Abarth 1000 that's fairly similar in terms of speed to the faster cars, and the Sunbeam Tiger II is close as well, though much different to drive.

Edit: The 1964 full race Mini is probably closer to the race Sprite, whereas the 66 1275 is closer to the MGB GT. I suppose which one is preferable depends on which car we want to use as a baseline. I'm thinking the race Sprite is probably better suited to this track.

Second edit: The Honda S800 is a lot of fun too, and right in the ballpark. It's worth including just for the noise.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/7/21 8:35 p.m.

I added the s800 and the Historic Racing Mini Cooper to the folder.  The spec of the cars are shown below.  NOTE: if we want to use the Race Mini, please un-install it if you have it, and re-install the one in the folder, it has the Tangerine Torpedo Skin in it!.  (If you want me to put just the skin up, let me know)

We may want to (or not?) clean up the options a bit, there is a LOT of stuff in that folder now.

The S800 looks outclassed power wise, but it is a bit lighter and has a much flatter torque curve. The imp is lower on power also, but it of course has the proper engine placement :). The stock mini vs GT is interesting because the Mini has a lot less power, but is a lot lighter (and wrong wheel drive of course).   

Anyone know of an interesting local US course that is tiny and good for the low power cars (we might want to push those until next week)?  We can always use the mini VIR again if needed.  It looks like there is a preliminary version of Nelson Ledges out there (is that a small enough course?)

dean1484
3/8/21 12:07 a.m.

Air you could use sub folders to lump like cars together. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/8/21 5:51 a.m.

Just looking at the stats side by side there, I notice that the kg/hp figures are all over the place. This may explain why some cars (the Imp) feel so fast, but then the race Sprite is right behind it, and according to the stats it has almost five times the weight-to-power ratio. I wish I knew more about how these cars are modeled.

I'll look and see if I can find a US track that works for the slower cars.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/8/21 7:05 a.m.

Those power/weight figures are way off for the race sprite and the imp.

Race sprite shows 120hp, 664kg and 15.44kg/hp.  Someone messed up their math.  

I'm guessing the kg/hp # is calculated by the modder and put in a table, not by the game, and someone fat fingered those.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/8/21 7:39 a.m.

If the numbers listed aren't what's actually in the model, it makes more sense, though it also means the numbers are always going to be suspect in mod cars.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/8/21 12:35 p.m.

Here are the stats for the cars pulled directly from the data files.  The reported numbers above are strangely wrong.  The Sprite appears to have a clear advantage, and may have an unrealistic power number?  I think the torque numbers are ft/lbs?  The MGB GT looks to be realistically way overpowered (looks like race engine power at least).  Interestingly CV is very similar to HP (I had no idea that existed).

Sprite - Racing:  139 at 5000, 739kg

Hillman Imp:   104 at 6500, 765 kg

Mini - Racing:  120 at 5500, 700 kg

Honda S800:   66 at 8000, 740 kg

Cooper S (1275): 100 at 4000,  720 kg

MGB GT:  136 at 4500,  1074 kg

P.S.  I put the apps in the assets folder (linked in setup info).  I cannot create a subfolder without a new link for access.  Should I move the low power cars out? (to be potentially be used next week)

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/8/21 1:53 p.m.

Really odd, especially given that the Imp seems so much faster than the others. There must be other factors at work. In any case, as far as I'm concerned the slower cars - Anglia, Sprite (non-race), Ghia, Mini (non-race), maybe the S800 (but it sounds so good...) - can be moved out, as they're too slow for this track. So far I haven't found a suitable US track for them (closest I've found is Putnam Park with chicanes), but Magione (Italy) works pretty well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/8/21 2:08 p.m.

What about High Plains Raceway.  There is a version available, and it has all the variation.  It's a bit basic, and maybe still too big?

Info:  https://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/high-plains-raceway.html

AC track: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/high-plains-raceway.34284/

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/8/21 2:55 p.m.

I'll try a few slower cars on High Plains and report back.

dean1484
3/9/21 8:17 a.m.

I will most likely be on line testing tonight.  I will probably shake up the server with new cars and another track as it seems we have quite allot of possible cars to test now.  I also ant to see if there is a Ferrari Dino out there and then see about putting together a group of cars with similar performance.  We did this in GT5 I think and it was one of the most fun series we did.  Cars with good speed but far from super car speed and still old enough to have semi old school handling.  I am thinking there should be a 911 of some year that will work.  Maybe something from Mercedes and we can see what the other European manufacturers have to offer that would round out the field

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/9/21 8:29 a.m.

I'll jump on to test tonight as well.  I haven't really played all week.  Last night I got my pedal mod installed and ran ~2 laps @ mid ohio in an ATCC Skyline just to see if it was working.

Its a bit tricky and I need to spend some time messing with the settings.  I had to set the max in AC to 60% otherwise it was too much force to stop.  I might break something.  Plus, slippery pedal + socks = hard to apply a lot of force.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/9/21 9:10 a.m.

Dean, the Touring Car Legends, especially the 60's cars, may be a ready-made fit (or at least starting point) for the sort of thing you're describing. There's already the Mini, Sprite, and Imp, plus a 911, Merc Rote Sau, a couple of big Fords, and some other stuff to choose from. No Dino, but that's got to be out there somewhere.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/9/21 10:36 a.m.

The Dino is here:   https://assettoland.wixsite.com/assettoland/ferrari

It's actually very similar in power to weight as some of the Touring Cars.  It might need a tire swap.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/9/21 10:56 a.m.

So I just bought a PC.......

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/9/21 11:45 a.m.

Oh no..... this could be bad....

dean1484
3/9/21 1:34 p.m.
aircooled said:

Oh no..... this could be bad....

And AUSOM all at the same time!!!!!  laugh

dean1484
3/9/21 1:35 p.m.
Spoolpigeon said:

So I just bought a PC.......

Welcome to the dark side!!!  

dean1484
3/9/21 1:39 p.m.

I think I saw AC on sale at newegg for less than $4.00 for the base game.

On steem >> https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6998/Assetto_Corsa_Ultimate_Edition/  This is a little pricey considering it has gone on sale for as much as %80 off for this bundle but still completely worth it even at this price.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/9/21 7:28 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Like the good bad, or the bad bad?

Dean, thanks for the link. I'll get that and iracing once it's up and running. Gotta try to turn some laps at VIR before heading there this Friday for the first time. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/9/21 7:39 p.m.

I dont see Palmer in the google drive... am I missing something?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/9/21 8:17 p.m.

Dean could not get it to work on the server, so we reverted to Bridgehampton.  I can put it back up if you want to try it.  It worked fine for me offline.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/9/21 8:21 p.m.
Spoolpigeon said:

In reply to aircooled :

Like the good bad, or the bad bad?

Yes... 

...I don't think we have figured out how to do rubber band races in AC yet.   cheeky

(BTW Deep Forest and Trial Mountain are available in AC)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/10/21 9:53 a.m.

We messed around last night and ended up playing with the Mercedes Evo, E30 M3, and Alfa 155 race cars.  These are good and very evenly matched.

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J5DrcY4Cmrl36vM587aGi5aAY9ray2xBTCbtrM8Kc4s7e5qBDLRAtyk64AdhUuds