1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 160
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/22/21 11:20 a.m.

Oh.... I had an idea...  How slow is the Mini on this track?  Could we make it competitive if we allow it to carry as much fuel as it wants, e.g. no pit stop?

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/22/21 11:55 a.m.

I'll check tonight. Eliminating the need to pit might be appropriate for the Imp as well. First I should probably learn how to pit so I can get a time for that, then work out some sort of loose idea of whether this idea will work of if it's overkill.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/22/21 12:17 p.m.

mini was about 3s slower on Autmn ring.  Sebring is much higher speed so it will be slower yet.

Its a damn fun car to drive though.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/22/21 12:38 p.m.

OK, if not, we can plan on running a Mini race at Autumn Ring mini next week.

I am essentially up for running any car this week, I would just like to see the max variety.  The RX3 is probably not an ideal choice (probably has the same fuel burn as the Mustang) but should be entertaining.

I looked a bit into it, and it looks like setups are not stored with the car models, so reloading cars to update the liveries should not affect any saved setups.  I can go through and add GRM logos and and Unofficial GRM Assetto Corsa Racing League stickers to the first few liveries of each car pretty quickly.  I will try to do a demo tonight to see if I can find good placement areas on a few.

It would require everyone to delete the cars they have now and re-install the new files though.  It really only requires swapping one file for each livery, but you would have to go into each car, then each livery and drop the right file in the right place (obvious potential for mistakes).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/22/21 12:52 p.m.

We could come up with a race series to mimic this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2021-nurburgring-endurance-ser/182201/page1/

1. ADAC Westfalenfahrt – March 27
  2. NIMEX DMV 4-Stunden-Renne – April 17
  3. EIBACH ADAC ACAS Cup – May 1
  4. Adenauer ADAC Rundstr.-Trophy – June 26
  5. ADAC Reinoldus-Langstreckenrennen – July 10
  6. RCM DMV Grenzlandrennen – July 11
  7. ROWE 6h ADAC Ruhr-Pokal-Rennen – September 11
  8. ADAC Barbarossapreis – September 25
  9. DMV Münsterlandpokal – October 9
02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/22/21 2:09 p.m.

While I like the idea of custom liveries, I envision all the file manipulation having a lot of potential to derail things. One missed file and you're screwed.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/22/21 6:42 p.m.

Pit stop delta (20L fuel, tires) is about 37 seconds (measured from the time the limiter kicks in to the time it kicks off). Not sure how not to change tires, but that would probably cut ~5sec. So in a 12 lap race, that's about 3sec/lap. I'm probably not the one to test average lap speeds - not consistent enough, even as slow as I am.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/22/21 7:30 p.m.

Here is a quick livery mod test.  As noted, probably best saved for when there are fewer cars involved, or we do a full series.  Also of note, if anyone has any specific logo / livery wants for their car, make sure to collect images, or let me know (I already have Deans).  On some cars, it will be hard to find space.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/21 2:26 p.m.

I was thinking of making a GRM "sponsored" car livery.  If for no other reason we will be pandering to GRM a bit.  With some GRM logos or a livery's they may find a use for some of the photos of the races we have.

I like what you did Air  The 911 looks cool!!!

dean1484
3/23/21 2:26 p.m.

Can you do windshield banners?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/23/21 4:21 p.m.

Glass is defined in the 3d model, so it's bit more involved, and I have not explored that yet.

dean1484
3/23/21 11:07 p.m.

Ok The server has been updated with increased fuel  usage. 

We are looking at a 12 lap race in honer of the 12 hours of Sebring .

After testing tonight with the fuel usage upped to 500 (from 100) we came up with the number of laps per full tank in just about every car.  With this we calculated that setting it at 250 would require one pit stop for just about every car.  There are a couple that would make the whole race and will need to be dealt with.

The fuel Usage is as follows for a setting of 250.  It reflects the number of laps you get from a full tank.  ( I doubled the figures we got from the 500 setting)

911 17.4
Jag 16
Merc 13.4
Austin 8.6
Cortina 8.0
BMW 7.4
Alpha 7.2
Mustang 7
510 6.6
Mazda 6.4

Based on these results the 911 and the Jag are not going to be used as they are both fast and would not need a stop.  Prodarwin thinks we should keep the Merc in and see if it could win with out a stop. 

Ideas to ponder:  I mandate a stop so the cars that can make it would have to stop.  They would basically have to do a drive through and stop in the pits and then go.  This would narrow the margin between the other cars but they still would have an advantage as both the 911 and the Jag are fast cars.  The merc's having to stop may even it out some as it is not as fast but it would gain 10 seconds as it would not have to get any fuel.

Lastly I think I can add ballast to cars so in effect I could slow down the really fast cars and possibly then requiring them to both need a stop and possibly needing fuel.  Not sure on this I would have to test it

EDIT. I looked into this and there is a place for it but I can not figure out how to do it. 

Lap Times are below

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/24/21 9:35 a.m.

Make sure you set your pit stop settings before the race starts!

This will be a fun one

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/24/21 12:16 p.m.

The question (besides what cars) is how do we best run this.  Clearly we want to allow some practice / setup time, thus the need to decide on a car rather quickly.  We probably also want to at least run a very quick race with a pit stop (say 2 lap) to make sure everyone knows how those work.

It looks like the race will be a good 35 min, so we should plan on a start, at latest, before 7(8,9,10):20

I am pretty much up for running anything.  I could even run the Fairlane... because, 'merica...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/24/21 12:26 p.m.

10 min practice, 2 lap qualifier (you can pit practice during your qual), then race?

wae
wae PowerDork
3/24/21 12:26 p.m.

I've been practicing getting in to the pit box without needing the reverse gear and maybe it's just me, but it's harder than it looks!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/24/21 12:28 p.m.

Oh, two things to note:

1) the 2000GT is faster than the screenshot suggests.  That was my only timed lap with that car, and I had an off.  It was on track for a low 42 with no real effort.

2)  Its is a fuel HOG.  Thats the reason there is only a single timed lap.  I couldn't finish 2 laps with it (plus the out-lap), so we couldn't get a real fuel consumption value laugh

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/24/21 2:23 p.m.

With all the unknowns being introduced here, I wonder if tonight might serve best as testing session to get all the bugs worked out and qualify, then run the race next week.

Also, if the race isn't even starting until 2220 Eastern, I may not be able to stay for it. Mornings come too early.

dean1484
3/24/21 3:23 p.m.

I am up for just practice/messing around tonight.  We can run a 4 lap race and I turn the fuel up to 500 and everyone can just sort it out for fun?  Then next week we do a 12 lapper set at 250.  I would leave the server up with the fuel set to 250 (as it is now) so people can test and tune over the week as they want to.  

OR

We set up a date / time over the weekend so no one has to worry about work etc.  What ever works for everyone I am up for!!

dean1484
3/24/21 3:39 p.m.

Regarding the start time if we were to do it on a weekday (Wednesday).  I would want the race to start as close to  9:00 PM EST so 21:00.  The server would be open leading up to the race so people can get on before and practice as they want.  I would probably restart the server as soon s I get home to have the best lighting for the practice.    My take is that qualifying is not really important in a race like this but it is a race with in a race kind of.  If we want to do qualifying I would start qualifying promptly at 9:00 PM EST.   You would get a 10 min qualifying meaning you get an out lap and two hot laps.  We would go right in ot the race so race start would be no later then 9:15 PM EST.  A 12 lap race should take about 30 minutes so we would have the race all wrapped up before 10:00 EST.  

How does that work for people?  I would put a longer start delay after the qualifying is over so people can get drinks etc.  (probably a 5 min delay)  

I would leave the ability for people to join any session at any time (even the race) so if you ran a little late or scheduling is an issue you can always join in and while you would obviously not have a great chance at winning you could become a blocker and hold up Prodarwin so I can maybe actually win this thing . . . . . Wait did I type that???  LOL   ;-)

I think that taking tonight as a practice with some shorter races with very high fuel usage rates would be good practice for people is a good idea and could be lots of fun.  Lets plan on that for now.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/24/21 3:47 p.m.

Concur. Leaving the server settings as they are is probably best, just so there's no confusion about burn rates from this week to next. If we plan to start the full race next week as proposed timing should not be an issue.

dean1484
3/24/21 4:32 p.m.

So a proposed race schedule would be as follows (all times are EST)

Practice Start when ever you want to get on the server it will be running.  I get home between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM so I will reset it so the sun is high in the sky for best lighting.  I can also have my son re set it if I run late.

9:00 - 9:10 PM : Qualifying (one out lap and two hot laps)

9:10 - 9:15 PM 5 Min brake to get ready for the race. (Talk to a man about a horse replenish your refreshments etc)

9:15 - 9:50 PM 12 lap race - Using a average lap time of a 2:45 the race should last 33-35 minutes taking into account pit stops adding 40-60 seconds to the total race time.

Everyone should note that once qualifying starts a reset becomes an issue as we loose qualifying times.  It is not the end of the world if it happens but something to remember and again if you are late to the party I will set it up so you can join in at any time.  I would much rather have a battle for last than win a race driving by my self for most of the race.  Oh and if you have contact with some one adn there is a significant off hold up and wait for them BUT do this off line so others can get through cleanly (unless it is Allaircooled coming through)  ;-)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/24/21 10:41 p.m.

When you are 1st in grid, the sprint to turn 1 feels like running for your life.  If you can get there fast enough you can avoid the inevitable gigantic pileup.

Great battle between the Alpha, Fairlane, and Mercedes for a few laps. 

I blew it by overshooting the pit stop.  Burnout in pic is in reverse lol

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/25/21 7:56 a.m.

Glad I was able to join last night, though I suspect those of you who suffered from my lack of skill may feel differently.

Having acknowledged that, I did find that the game was glitching/lagging on me from time to time, which contributed to some of my issues (though not the ones involving other drivers - those were all me). I will have to remember to reset my network connection before next week. Did anyone else experience this last night?

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
3/25/21 8:19 a.m.

Crop of one of the above with a bit of a period treatment.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 160

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lvEXuMc06flciS6lYsB6fZOPHLB9E4fuoSD8rGLlbP16jBc2rQPtnreZcI3ECBXC