Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/18/10 12:21 p.m.

Started getting a noise in my drivetrain as well as some slight jerking...

Looking at these pics, do I have a bad chain or bad alignment? there's a section the doesn't seat on to the sprockets right

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/10 12:35 p.m.

Looks like you're due for a new chain and sprocket.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/18/10 1:08 p.m.

Only does it in that one spot..But I suppose.

I've put 13,000 on the set that's on with unknown previous life

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
4/18/10 3:18 p.m.

Agree with Woody. Given how worn that sprocket appears to be, I don't think there is a chain or alignment that will seat on it correctly.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/18/10 5:35 p.m.

The chain has stretched. Time for a new one, and new sprockets, too.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/18/10 6:34 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Only does it in that one spot..But I suppose. I've put 13,000 on the set that's on with unknown previous life

That's a lot of miles, more so if you don't know the history.

Definitely go for both chain and sprocket and install to factory specs. Less noise, better response and peace of mind are worth a lot.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
4/19/10 12:30 p.m.

Wouldn't hurt to check the alignment of the new chain and sprockets (get a front when you replace the rear). That way they will last a long time.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/19/10 12:52 p.m.

would a stretched chain only do that in one spot? everywhere else the chain sits nice and flush on the sprockets

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/19/10 1:26 p.m.

That chain is toast. Show pics of the sprocket teeth.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/19/10 1:30 p.m.

I would guess (with no past experience specific to this...but with an engineering background) that that section of chain is messed up worse than the rest of the chain. As they say...only as good as the weakest link.

This makes me wish I had already replaced my chain and sprockeds :(

Clem

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/19/10 2:04 p.m.

this is only "teeth" pic I have, will take one with out the chain when I get home.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/19/10 2:10 p.m.

Just the teeth without the chain. The other side of the sprocket. But from that pic, the sprocket looks OK. That is, the teeth don't look pointy.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/19/10 2:10 p.m.

they aren't. square at the top, no hooking at all

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/19/10 3:11 p.m.

Check the front sprocket too. If it's good, I'd just put a new chain on.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/20/10 5:27 a.m.

Agree with the others, the chain and sprockets are toast.

If the chain is riding up in one area only, it's possible that you've got a single stretched section of chain. I've done that before myself. Cheap chain on a 750 triple, interesting chain and sprocket damage (actually peeled a section of a sprocket off).

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
4/20/10 6:23 a.m.

Wheelies stretch chain. Replace all three componants as one or you'll be doing it again in a short time.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/20/10 7:38 a.m.

it's a 500.. not really a wheelie bike.

you know...not that I haven't tried once or twice...or..

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
4/20/10 8:53 a.m.

No your just not well versed yet in the wheelie....YET....

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/20/10 9:01 a.m.

takes a lot of rev and clutch slippage to pull it up... the engine is way forward

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/2/10 7:49 p.m.

When they get like this that's when the chain starts riding 'up' on the teeth, which is what you are seeing. The sprocket is toast; putting a new chain on a worn sprocket leads to all kinds of weirdness not the least of which is it's damn near impossible to get a good adjustment.

Then there are those who squeeze every last foot out of a chain and sprocket set.

Wheelies are all about body position and throttle control, it has nothing to do with displacement.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/3/10 12:39 p.m.

Then there are those who squeeze every last foot out of a chain and sprocket set.

Wheelies are all about body position and throttle control, it has nothing to do with displacement.

Wow, that worn unit would likely work as a cutting blade!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8EZnhvkoxjJSKLLWGiDYzVaN3qinAYpXv0BaiySANqWxMz1vlV68OxK1VmiM7Ony