Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
6/9/13 10:50 p.m.

This has been a long road with a lot of bumps along the way but I "think" my 1998 Buell Cyclone is almost ready to come to life again. I am trying to set the camshaft timing and would like some input as this is my first time taking apart this kind of engine. Take a look, good, bad?

This is what the "book" say the cam timing should look like.

This is what I have.

Yes I will have a build thread.

Thanks Paul B

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/10/13 8:42 a.m.

Looks right to me. Matches what is in my FSM for a '87 883/1100.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/10/13 1:16 p.m.

Looks right to me also.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
6/10/13 1:55 p.m.

looks right to me as well......

hope we aren't all wrong? What happens if you rotate it through 2 revolutions... does it still all line up??

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/10/13 3:34 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: looks right to me as well...... hope we aren't all wrong? What happens if you rotate it through 2 revolutions... does it still all line up??

Knowing Harley, they would pull a Chrysler 2.7 deal. Rotate it around and nothing lines up again for another 300 revolutions....

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/10/13 7:31 p.m.

Nice when I fixed the king rat punky buellster the repair manual didn't explicitly say how to time the cams just showed a picture something like you showed minus a few cams. I had to go an ask Harley service. The B last manual has a few incontinences. The repair manual also shows the main breaker wired incorrectly from where the stator goes into the breaker. If you wire it incorrectly the bike will run fine but the harness is unprotected if the battery terminal comes loose. Oh I love my buell. Good luck with it!

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
6/10/13 9:24 p.m.

The main reason I asked for input is the service manual did not state where the front or rear piston should be when setting the timing. I thought I had the timing correct I just wanted some input, thanks.

Ranger / oldeskewltoy: I spun the engine over and the marks line up without issue (unlike GM and Chry)

Benzbzron: Have you looked on Bad weather? They have some service and owners manuals you can down load.

Thanks for all the input I plan to install the right side cover tomorrow and try to fire the bike off

Paul B

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
6/22/13 8:53 p.m.

Well good news the bike started up today and sounds ok I plan to take care of some odds and ends tomorrow and go for a ride.

Thanks everyone.

Paul B

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/23/13 10:36 a.m.

Good job!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1l3QNxpI5F3V9ug4DrNhaFXwYbJdzb89JkySSKBLELf6oHEMw990X68m8H389OH7