jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
5/27/15 10:22 a.m.

My 1992 Kawasaki 750 Zephyr has a rusty gas tank. I have tried to find one at a reasonable price but no luck. Anyone have any CHEAP suggestions? It is rusted enough that it leaks slightly. I have tried those coating systems and it did not work out well. Probably my fault but I think my current tank is toast.

Thanks Jon

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/27/15 12:32 p.m.

There's a huge motorcycle salvage yard just south of Minneapolis, you could try them for a replacement tank. http://www.sportwheel.com/

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
5/28/15 5:30 a.m.

I've had great luck with evaporust then a good cleaning and Caswell's platings sealer. 26 tanks NO problems some even after 4 years look new.

jonsteckelberg
5/28/15 8:02 a.m.

Unfortunatly I tried a cheap brand of tank sealer and it did not work well so I think my current tank is not salvagable. I have tried finding a replacement tank but the zephyr was only sold for 2 years in the USA and in low numbers. Is there a way to find a generic alternative tank and make it work?

thanks

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/28/15 9:28 a.m.

Brazing/soldering often seals up a gas tank hole. Float a bit over the leak spot if it's a pin hole, patch in new metal if it's larger.

Of course you have to be careful with regards to gasoline fumes. But with a motorcycle gas tank, it's not that hard to deal with.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
5/28/15 12:55 p.m.

The old liner can be removed easily if its not the casswell stuff. For temp fix jb weld over the holes once set up pour in a quart of MEK the real MEK not the substitute crap. Shake let sit rolls tank sit on side roll again 20 min as side and then check. the old liner will turn the MEK creamy color pout back on to a jar and check the tank, add a box of external Star lock washers pour back in the MEK and shake the washers will help scrub the inside. inspect and repeat. Then use fresh MEK to clean vent over night wash with dawn and hot water. next use the evaporust, wash again and caswell it. I'd do it for you but wrong time of year...

jonsteckelberg
5/29/15 8:01 a.m.

Thanks 44dwarf good info. I will give this a try. Any good places to get the MEK, evaporust and caswell online?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
5/29/15 8:08 a.m.

Evaporust available at oreilleys.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
5/30/15 5:12 a.m.

MEK I go one state over to get now...

evapo-rust is at tractor supply, harbor freight, o'reilliys and Ace to name a few. http://www.evapo-rust.com/ Best part is you pour it back in to the jug and save it for another project! It gets dirty but still works, I strain it in a coffee filter and still have most of the gallon I bought 4-5 years ago

Caswell I get on line http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html I like the red as it say's hey I'm hear! but there all the same base, clear, blue, black or red.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
69Qf1TmlTfTa95NhVQFmmNI3sZU8EQo1zj3YotgkEeTFWycJg10YWCi1HfzphsKH