1 2
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/12 6:53 p.m.

I've had a little of everything over the years; a couple cafe-looking CBs, a Honda Shadow, an R6, and I've determined that I'm a cruiser guy. I not only like the style for jumping puddles, but I like the idea of strapping on a duffel bag, stretching out on the highway pegs, and taking a trip.

Everything I've owned was terrible at that task. The Shadow was probably actually the worst. The wind kept pushing my legs apart and they would get sore from trying to hold them in. I used to bungee my legs together on long trips. (not kidding).

Love Guzzis, but they don't look that comfy. Love HDs but they are way out of the price range. Star? Suzuki? VTX? Sabre? The main thing I'm looking for is long-distance comfort (or at least the potential for it with the right accessories.)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/12 8:14 p.m.

Actually the Guzzi cruisers are pretty comfortable, but personally I found that for long distance touring I'm best off with a proper tourer as opposed to a cruiser style bike.

I used to own an HD Dyna Glide with highway pegs and that suffered from the same issue that you describe with the Shadow.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
6/1/12 10:27 p.m.

Honda Magna.

curtis73
6/2/12 1:31 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Honda Magna.

Really? I'm not doubting you (since I never rode one) but they seem small and short.

But I love that V4 sound they make.

curtis73
6/2/12 1:42 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I found that for long distance touring I'm best off with a proper tourer as opposed to a cruiser style bike.

I agree, but....

I can take a long distance trip in a '95 Ford Taurus just fine. But if I could do the same trip in a '72 Caddy it would be better. Touring bikes are wonderful, but they make folks look (to me) like English Professors or someone who drinks Guinness. While I respect English Professors and respect those who enjoy Guinness, that isn't my thing.

When someone asks me about my bike, I don't want to say "its a briskly-handling sport-touring luxury ride with heated grips and a vibration-nullifying gel seat." I do want to say, "you're hot. wanna straddle my 600 pound vibrator?"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
6/2/12 8:19 a.m.

Remember that while the seating position on a cruiser bike may be comfortable when riding around town at 30mph, after a couple hours on the freeway at 70mph you'll discover you've turned into a human sail - without a good windshield or fairing to break the wind, it can be pretty tiring.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
6/2/12 11:20 a.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Really? I'm not doubting you (since I never rode one) but they seem small and short. But I love that V4 sound they make.

Not being a large and tall guy myself, I don't notice anything wrong. Wiki says the wheelbase is 65", about two inches more than a street glide.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/2/12 4:45 p.m.

Moto Guzzi cause they sound awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X02dWdwxn0&feature=related

Josh
Josh SuperDork
6/2/12 5:20 p.m.

How about a cruiser from a company that knows a thing or two about building a comfy sport-tourer?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/12 5:35 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
Really? I'm not doubting you (since I never rode one) but they seem small and short. But I love that V4 sound they make.

You may be thinking of the V30 and V45. Look for a V65.

alex
alex UltraDork
6/2/12 9:00 p.m.
Josh wrote: How about a cruiser from a company that knows a thing or two about building a comfy sport-tourer?

As a (non-factory) BMW tech for a few years, let me not mince words: I hate these things. They take everything good about BMWs and screw it up. They're simply an exercise in style, nothing more.

Now, I'm a bit confused by the criteria. You're looking for a cruiser, but you didn't like your Shadow? I consider those to be one of the better (if not a bit milquetoast) cruisers out there.

Maybe you're looking for something more like a standard, say a Kaw ZRX or BMW R1150/1200R? Personally, any '04 BMW R1150x is on my to-own list - last year of the oilheads, when they really got it right, then abandoned the entire design, in typical BMW fashion.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
6/3/12 7:03 a.m.
alex wrote:
Josh wrote: How about a cruiser from a company that knows a thing or two about building a comfy sport-tourer?
As a (non-factory) BMW tech for a few years, let me not mince words: I hate these things. They take everything good about BMWs and screw it up. They're simply an exercise in style, nothing more.

Hate them because they break all the time, or hate them in the same way that I hate a Porsche Cayenne even though it probably does a perfectly competent job at the misguided task it was designed for? I have never ridden one (only ever seen a couple), but it always struck me as the cruiser that I would buy if I were forced to buy one at gunpoint, which is probably the only way that I would ever buy a cruiser.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/3/12 9:25 a.m.

I second the Magna idea. It combiens a cruiser frame with a muscle engine. I have a firend who hadf a v45 for many years an the bike was awesome. Its only negative as that it sucked in the twisties (slow to transition an dthe pegs would scrape easily). Other than that, it was a blast.

I would also consider the Yamaha VMax.

FYI: I like Guiness. It is a very blue collar drink in the Irish community.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
6/3/12 6:39 p.m.
Moparman wrote: FYI: I like Guiness. It is a very blue collar drink in the Irish community.

hahahaha i was reading your post and thought it was a bit jumbled and then i read your FYI.

Love it

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
6/3/12 6:42 p.m.

i also was in this dilema a while ago. All your standard cruisers are slow, heavy, and numb.

Seems like you need to find a muscle cruiser (vmax, magna, similiar) or, and i hate to say it, buy a Harley.

My buddies whole family has em (except him) and hopefully ill get some seat time in a few of em. The bigger ones with fairings and bags are on my list of bikes to own.

curtis73
6/4/12 9:15 p.m.
alex wrote: Now, I'm a bit confused by the criteria. You're looking for a cruiser, but you didn't like your Shadow? I consider those to be one of the better (if not a bit milquetoast) cruisers out there.

Mine was a VLX, so it was the little 600. Quite comfy below 45mph and if you're not going more than 20 miles, but once you've been on the highway for an hour, it was pure punishment. Of course, I'm 6'1" and 245 lbs also.

Maybe you're looking for something more like a standard, say a Kaw ZRX or BMW R1150/1200R? Personally, any '04 BMW R1150x is on my to-own list - last year of the oilheads, when they *really* got it right, then abandoned the entire design, in typical BMW fashion.

I love riding the BMW tourers, I just don't like the style. I see tons of Metric cruisers on the highway doing long trips and they say they're great. Maybe they're just defending their choice, know what I mean? Maybe its actually terrible but they don't want to admit it.

alex
alex UltraDork
6/4/12 9:27 p.m.
Josh wrote:
alex wrote:
Hate them because they break all the time, or hate them in the same way that I hate a Porsche Cayenne even though it probably does a perfectly competent job at the misguided task it was designed for? I have never ridden one (only ever seen a couple), but it always struck me as the cruiser that I would buy if I were forced to buy one at gunpoint, which is probably the only way that I would ever buy a cruiser.

Hate them philosophically, mainly, but also functionally. They have a lumpy cam for a more cruiser-y idle that saps any inherent 'performance' from the motor. The rear suspension sucks hairy coconuts, and the riding position is awful even by cruiser standards.

Worst is that they pander to a perceived market (much like the Cayenne) but they don't do it any better than the competition (unlike the Cayenne, from what I understand). They represent a period of misdirection in BMW Motorrad's product planning division.

The only thing they have going for them, in my mind, is the rear seat that folds up into a little backrest (which you'll need).

curtis73
6/4/12 9:29 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Seems like you need to find a muscle cruiser (vmax, magna, similiar) or, and i hate to say it, buy a Harley.

I would buy a Harley if I could afford it. It just seems like you get so much less for the money. I also have to think that there are Metrics like a Star, Virago, Or Intruder that give you 90% of the comfort for 60% the investment.

Anyone care to comment on the long-ride on a Vmax? I have to say I'm not really into that style, but I'll consider it.

To me, the perfect bike would be something like a Dyna Low with fairings and soft bags. I've often drooled over Honda's new custom interstate. It looks like half chopper, half cruiser. Take the fairing and bags off for looking sharp at the club, put them on and hit the road for a week.

I know will be concessions with each one. I know I can't have the perfect long-road ride that looks like something out of Jesse James' shop, but at least something that can look good and take me long distances.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/4/12 9:44 p.m.

http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/4/12 10:48 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: To me, the perfect bike would be something like a Dyna Low with fairings and soft bags. I've often drooled over Honda's new custom interstate. It looks like half chopper, half cruiser. Take the fairing and bags off for looking sharp at the club, put them on and hit the road for a week.

OK, so it's three grand more, but the Dyna Switchback will hold it's value better. If you're thinking about financing, that's what, ~$60/mo more, plus, the HD has a two year warranty, the Honda is only one year.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
6/5/12 6:02 a.m.

I always wonder why cruisers tend to have such small gas tanks. The Honda interstate mentioned above is 4.4 Gallons, the HD is 4.7. Yet, many Sport-Tourers have 5.5 or larger.

If cruisers are supposed to be great distance machines, why not more fuel capacity?

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
6/5/12 6:20 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:
curtis73 wrote: To me, the perfect bike would be something like a Dyna Low with fairings and soft bags. I've often drooled over Honda's new custom interstate. It looks like half chopper, half cruiser. Take the fairing and bags off for looking sharp at the club, put them on and hit the road for a week.
OK, so it's three grand more, but the Dyna Switchback will hold it's value better. If you're thinking about financing, that's what, ~$60/mo more, plus, the HD has a two year warranty, the Honda is only one year.

THIS.

Paul is right-on. You only really know what something costs when you go to sell it. In that arena, H-D wins Hands-Down...and you get the "real thing" to boot.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/5/12 10:44 a.m.

I'm sure the XR1200X would make a decent cruiser. :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/12 10:56 a.m.

As a former CX500 rider (also a sideways V-Twin) you don't want a Guzzi if you want to keep your legs together.

I moved to this:

It hits the sweet spot better than anything else out there right now. It is long and low and great looking, comfortable for short or long trips, and can be outfitted for moderate touring. The bags are huge, and there are many, many accessories available. It's a 950, so not too big and not too small. It's air cooled, but has EFI and pretty advanced internals, so you get looks, sound and performance and reliability all in one.

Cost-wise, they could sell them for $12-$14K because that what Harley's with less gear, size and power sell for, but MSRP is around $8-$9K and the street price is a lot less. (Mine started with a 5)

It won all kinds of awards and accolades, but ride one and you'll see that for motorcycle cruisers, the answer is V-Star 950.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/12 10:58 a.m.

For comparison:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PwYJA0CU6IxwFeNUj8uDRWINzLLTiUgGksOhlWsNT3HK18k2zerWizgRzt86JOUl