yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/20/15 11:10 a.m.

The one I will be considering is a 1986, so I am unsure if it is an A2 or A3 model, but I figured I would ask if anyone here had intimate knowledge of the bikes that could insure I don't miss something. The bike has 14k miles on it, Keihin CR carbs, and a 4-2-1 Hindle full exhaust.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/20/15 12:47 p.m.

I got nothing to help, but isn't that the bike from Top Gun?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/20/15 12:59 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

Yep, its the first "Ninja" and first real sport bike as well....my problem is that I should have never seen the AC Sanctuary builds.

I want to recreate this, except retaining the side fairings and in Red, White, & Blue.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/20/15 1:55 p.m.

I gots nuthin' either except when recreating that don't apply the ninja sticker and Kawi green is an abomination. R/W/B will be much better.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/20/15 3:14 p.m.

Red/White/Blue does look better on these for sure....That's the combo I'm looking at, with the only exception being the one I'm looking at has red wheels.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
3/20/15 4:31 p.m.

Nothing to add except that they are awesome and, reportedly, very sturdy well-built bikes.

When I was an impressionable teen the GPz series were pretty desirable bikes, I actually owned a 305 for a short period of time. Then later I had a Seca 550 and a friend had a GPz 550, both bikes were pretty comparable, but the GPz (arguably) looked better and had a monoshock in back. Fun time when bikes were affordable and not designed to be better than 99% of their riders.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/20/15 7:31 p.m.

In reply to SEADave:

Oh, there are still affordable and the smaller bikes that aren't rider killers .....they're called 250's.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/21/15 7:35 a.m.

Just drop it off at my house i'll treat it right.... Nice find.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/23/15 8:08 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Just drop it off at my house i'll treat it right.... Nice find.

I think most would. The scary thing is, I'd be looking at having $3k in suspension and another $1k in wheels to make it how I'd want it.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/23/15 8:19 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

"...first real sport bike as well..."

The VFR would like a word with you about that. And why not use Kawi's trad 'hot bike' colors? R/W/B paint scheme sounds a bit, well, you know who.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/23/15 8:20 p.m.

What are you doing that needs $3k in suspension? You making a track rat?

Can you raid the squid junkyard and have the stuff re-valved/rebuilt like I do with Penske or Bilstein high end dampers on my race car? I don't know much about the bike aftermarket ... but I'm curious. For all the crazy crap I've done to cars I've never really done up a bike except to ride it and repair it. I have been eying CL with the idea that a 70's UJM needs to get a makeover here in the garage though. So learn me.

I usually manage to get about $6k retail in race car suspension for under $1k by piecing it together if I am patient. Lots of guys dump the stuff for pennies when the next "better" thing comes along and somehow it saves me thousands but doesn't buy them even a 10th of a second. Squids are even dumber than that. Does this same logic apply?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/23/15 11:55 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

The gpz uses some weird air shock/fork setup that's supposed to be reactive. Ohlins stuff is available and is basically a modern rear monoshock and modern albeit non inverted gas forks. Its also costly to convert from the 16/18 wheel combo to go to modern 17's. They make stock appearing but widened swingarms to accommodate a 17x5.5 wheel out back(hello 190/50 17's)

And pres.....only Honda people claim that. They're usually wrong anyways, so nobody listens.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/24/15 12:42 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

VFR's were winning races in 1983, and the GPZ 900R came out in 1984, right?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/24/15 11:36 a.m.

You mean VF? I thought vfr's didn't arrive until mid 80's

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/24/15 5:01 p.m.

Hell just ride the dam thing! When you can use every drop of that engines power and your bottoming the front suspension braking and drifting the rear to the outside just to hit the corner then think about spending that kind of $$. Life is an APEX Hit it!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/25/15 10:09 a.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf:

I've got the widowmaker for that. The GPZ would be a project that takes the spot of the Muzzy bike as it will be sold back to my friend at some point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SlCglBzs2L8M1tALRKzp1OMEcOJJDS8TFmfiu3HQc0Lec2IYwpECGQ2Yqx35VS0v