White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
2/2/13 10:47 a.m.

I'm not in a position to do this in the near future, but I'm pondering working my way toward trying out motorcycle track days. Not racing, just lapping, HPDE type stuff.

Some background. I've been riding on the street for about 10 years. I did the MSF basic course to get my license, and have ridden many many miles since then. I consider myself an average rider, as far as my abilities go. I've mostly ridden UJMs, and have made my way toward sport touring bikes with my Silverwing and now my PC800.

I used to do track days in cars. It was fun. It wasn't cheap, but I could afford it at the time. Then life changed, and though I've kept autocrossing on and off I haven't made it back to the track since.

After watching way too much Isle of Man TT footage on YouTube I'm pondering whether it might be easier and more economical to get back to the track on a bike than a car. My PC800 would be a poor choice for that, of course, so I'd be looking to pick up a small sporty bike mainly for that - something fun, but not super fast, like a Ninja or something comparable. Maybe a 500 - would a 250 be too small? From everything I've seen, the Ninja 250 is like the Miata of motorcycles - not too powerful but the handling is awesome. Though at 6'0", it may be physically too small for me.

Towing a bike to the track would be a no brainer - my P71 is already set up to tow, and I can build a Harbor Freight trailer. I already have riding gear - some upgrades may be in order before I head to the track, but those are upgrades I can use on the street and would be well worth it for both purposes.

I'm not looking at getting into actual racing, but taking some schools and doing some laps sounds like a lot of fun the more I think about it, and I think could do it cheaper than I could with a car (please correct me if I'm wrong) - plus an extra bike is easier to store. What advice can you give me about doing this? I'm starting with nothing, so suggestions on particular bikes to look for are welcome, as well as any other motorcycle track day beginner tips you can share. Thanks!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
2/2/13 11:35 a.m.

!st thing you need to do is get your track Lic. There are several schools but if it were me theres only one. http://www.penguinracing.com/ If your going to spend $$ why not learn form the best? They also have a SMOKIN DEAL on DOT cert race tires. After you finish the lic class you can ride anyones track days. Most dealers run a track day or two in the summer like Razee's http://www.razeemotorcycle.com/trackday.asp and then theirs a group called http://bostonmoto.com/ But all require a lic before you get on the track. You'll need leathers that zip top to bottom or a full suit. Boots with 8 inch above the ankle and gloves (get armorred one) Boots and gloves can be gotten cheap at right time of year from Cyclegear.com I use these Bilt ones but got on sale for $55 last fall. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/bilt_trackstar_leather_motorcycle_boots/web1001106?registry_id= My health is #1 so i went with full twin zipper Vanson suit with all the GP arrmor built in and did loads of custom work so it was not cheap at $2800 but i need to be able to go to work the next day...there are $200 suits out there but..thin and no arrmor. cycle gear has store in CT not far from you and if your a pizza nut like us hit Frank Pepe's next to the Buckland hill mall (next to Lazyboy store) for the best thin crust that it is stiff you can hold the pie at the crust and the point will not droop. Hech we'll drive 2 hr to get it some days. 44 PS: #441 this summer in USCRA on a RD350.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
2/3/13 7:33 a.m.

Got an e-mail from cycle gear this am. The boots are on sale again $49.99

http://view.m.cyclegear.com/?j=fe8f17757c67037875&m=fe9715707d65027575&ls=fdf91773736c0d7874147076&l=fecb157274610278&s=fe2e10757366017f741577&jb=ff68157574&ju=fe591779706005747117&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=20130203_Superbowl&r=0

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
2/3/13 10:10 p.m.

I raced for ten years then did track days including instructing for sport bike track time and the mid Ohio school. I have not been on track for close to ten years.

I loved teaching the novice group. Any bike is ok, at Nelson's ledges they even had a cruiser school / track day.

I have never heard of a track day license. Just show up and ride in the novice group.

A sv650 is the best bike to start on. Enough power for even the fastest experts to have fun on and you can find a track worthy one for $2k or less. The tires last a good long time and since everyone likes them, they are easy to re-sell if you don't like tracking bikes. Plus, chances are someone will be able to advise you on set- up and if you have a problem, there maybe someone with spares. The sv650 is more of the mists then the ninja 250 as it is considered girly on the street, but a large share of them are tracked.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/13 8:45 a.m.

I would think that a 600 - 650 cc sportbike could be purchased rather affordably, and last you a lot longer than a 250.

jtm8bd
jtm8bd New Reader
2/4/13 6:01 p.m.

No need for a track day license, as stated above, just start in the novice/beginner group.

The SV650 is an good bike and with a little work (better rear shock, revalve the fronts, set everything up) it's a great bike. I track a twin and street ride an I-4 and can't say enough good things about the stability and feedback a twin will provide when on the edge of the tire. I-4s are probably faster, but you'll go through fewer tires on the twin which is a plus.

Tracking a bike is SO much cheaper than tracking a car, at least in my experience. I'm not a pro so a set of brake pads lasts me all season, my 848cc twin doesn't brutalize rear tires every session, and it still gets pretty decent mileage (at least compared to a car) on the track. Do it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tG9NCVYPjyZsDpiFKniEUnsQlDS05lVm5aSqa9UKb69hntkN5DcrLYUgk1nut2pE