bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/15 6:43 a.m.

Anything I should be Looking for?

I'm looking to get back into riding after many years off. I found a nice looking '09 F800 ST with 10K miles. It seems to tick off all my boxes as far as size vs power vs handling vs comfort.

Let me know. I'm looking at the bike tomorrow after work.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
2/19/15 2:12 p.m.

Some people find the vibes make for numb hands in short order, some don't experience the numbness at all. My wife found that the luggage mounting points hit her in the calves, so I had to pass on one.

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
2/19/15 3:07 p.m.

My uncle had one for a while, but I forgot what year it was. Depending on how sporty/touring you like the riding position you may love it or think it needs some adjustments. My uncle ended up putting some small handlebar risers (Heli-bar from amazon if I remember...I ordered them...)and it was "good enough" for him. I only got to ride it pre-riser install and it did put a little more weight on my wrists than I liked for a DD bike, but fine for a weekend cruiser. Seems like the riders foot pegs were also a touch high or far back. It all seemed a little odd for a BMW, but there are fixes for that as well. He and I are both 5-9 and 30" inseam or there abouts. Other than that I really liked the bike, it had very solid, stable handling (although the front end felt vague) and got great gas mileage (I think I averaged 62mpg the day or so I rode it to work and back and think that was close to what he averaged on his trip fron TN out west. Typical BMW, I would want a "little" louder exhaust to be able to at least hear the engine. All in all reminded me a lot of my TDM850 with a little less character, but probably a better all around bike?? I didn't get to double on it, but as similar as it is to the TDM, I'd say that it would be fine for day long trips, but maybe not weeks on end unless you and your partner are very small.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/15 3:58 p.m.

Thanks Guys. I must admit I'm a BMW guy at heart. I've had 5 already. I really liked my K100LT but I want something a little lighter this time more like my older R90RS.

I wouldn't know what to do if I rode a BMW that didn't buzz the handlebars :) I would think I was on the wrong bike.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/19/15 4:42 p.m.

I don't know much about them aside from glowing reviews for that motor... and the missing telelever front suspension. So it might act a little "normal" under braking but handling is reviewed to be very good.

Fuel tank is kinda tiny for a semi-tourer though. 4.2g with reserve included. You will be lucky to go 200 miles - probably more like 150.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EWGTqEdRvX3VGdS86HIkelwC3OZLHbOG17phJ4Syvp7e6ts47TX1M1RMlOPmx0o4