1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
6/17/13 1:20 p.m.

Nah, no modern tech here....

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/17/13 1:21 p.m.
Luke wrote: ^That's what I was thinking A big '+1' to this whole thread. It's a great, fun read. Y'all have got me itching to stock the Alfa with some spare parts, grab the lady friend, and hit the road. And yeah, slapping that bumper sticker straight onto the back of your freshly restored Mercedes, rules.

One of these days, we'll take a new vacation with our GTV. We did it once, and it was really nice. Not sure why we don't just go out for a weekend...

Oh, and any votes on the suggestions for Thursday? And how early?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/17/13 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

The Volvo isn't lacking for tech either: vintage-style aftermarket stereo with aux-input and USB port. For some reason, when we take long trips we listen to Terry Pratchett's Discworld audiobooks.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/17/13 5:08 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I'm wondering if we should enjoy this thread while we can be before Margie gets back, realizes how many pics of her are posted and deletes it from existence.

Psshht, I've been reading right along, and even somewhat cooperating with the photography. I knew what I was getting into here... Figured it was worth it for the road food--I mean, family time. I do love me some crap, though.

Margie

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
6/17/13 5:30 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: . I do love me some crap, though. Margie

You heard her boys! Fire up the political threads!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/17/13 6:09 p.m.

This might be the only interesting family trip I've ever been exposed to. Fantastic feature for the site. Certainly will make a great article in CM/GRM.

Mystery Hole--lulz

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 6:22 p.m.

Woohoo, we made it to Athens, OH. We're seeing "Now You See Me," but as soon as we saw this poster we knew we'd made a mistake.

I mean, two belts!!! What a movie!

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 6:25 p.m.

Huh. There are giant holes in the ceiling. This is... troubling.

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 6:29 p.m.

Also the movie starts in 3 minutes and there isn't anything on the screen yet. Does Ohio have previews?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 6:31 p.m.

I could just tell you about other movies for a few minutes.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/17/13 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

You're in one of the best areas for driving roads in the entire state and you're driving an overloaded old Merc. Too bad, because any of the paved triple digit state roads in that area are really entertaining. You and your Dad need to come back through there in his Triumph sometime.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/17/13 6:45 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: On my phone on the movie theatre.

You people.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 6:47 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: The Volvo isn't lacking for tech either: vintage-style aftermarket stereo with aux-input and USB port. For some reason, when we take long trips we listen to Terry Pratchett's Discworld audiobooks.

I was thinking more along the lines of an in-car wireless network and an networked camera along with tablets and smartphones so they can post from the road. 10 years ago, that was still pretty much science fiction. Heck, five.

Pratchett would make for good audiobooks, I'll remember that.

In the older Grand Junction theaters, I think it's first-come, first-serve for who plays projectionist. Have you checked to see if the door is open?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/13 6:56 p.m.

He's gone quiet. I think it's starting...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/17/13 7:00 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
Ian F wrote: I'm wondering if we should enjoy this thread while we can be before Margie gets back, realizes how many pics of her are posted and deletes it from existence.
Psshht, I've been reading right along, and even somewhat cooperating with the photography. I knew what I was getting into here... Figured it was worth it for the road food--I mean, family time. I do love me some crap, though. Margie

"Crap"?!?! But that's a gen-you-wine Budweiser Clydesdales clock!!

Oh, you were talking about the food, weren't you. Yeah, a good road trip is an excuse to eat all the stuff you shouldn't love, but do.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/17/13 7:01 p.m.

Must be a long movie. Or Margie took his phone away...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/17/13 7:05 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Nah, no modern tech here....

Uh, Tom? Wasn't that the thing causing the power draw? Still, I admire your efforts for the sake of tuneage.

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 8:37 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: On my phone on the movie theatre.
You people.

I was on my phone while the theater was completely dark (no house lights and the projector was off) and its audience was screaming obscenities. Tell me that isn't okay, sir.

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 8:43 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Uh, Tom? Wasn't that the thing causing the power draw? Still, I admire your efforts for the sake of tuneage.

The shop we visited said it was the problem, and our charging system seemed to be working fine.

The amp is now working fine, and thanks to my emergency alternator surgery on page 6, so is our charging system.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/17/13 8:43 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Psshht, I've been reading right along, and even somewhat cooperating with the photography. I knew what I was getting into here... Figured it was worth it for the road food--I mean, family time. I do love me some crap, though. Margie

I know. It's just after years of "no pictures!" and occasional references to a sister that Tom has but we'd never seen, now there's a whole "Suddard Family Vacation Thread." I'm sure I'm not the only one a bit surprised.

Tom Suddard
6/17/13 8:48 p.m.

Oh, and the car still charges at 13.5 volts, a huge improvement on the 12.8 it was "charging" at. I think the alternator surgery was a success.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/17/13 8:50 p.m.

Damn, busted. Those people in the pictures are just some poor stooges Katie and I hired to do our service for us. We're actually on a separate, girls-only spa vacation right now.

Gotta go, the little sponges between my toes are ready to come out.

Margie

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/17/13 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

Well, the actor playing Katie is doing a great job of looking like she really doesn't want Tom taking her picture. She deserves a bonus.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/17/13 9:04 p.m.

Looks like there could be a couple of days in Ohio. If you have a set direction, I can definitely put you on the path of some good and fun food.

I wonder if you are headed to Avon?
I still recommend Cedar Point.
The Cleveland Indians are home the next couple of nights.
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The House/Museum from a Christmas Story (shoot your eye out)
Around the corner from there is Sokolowski's University Inn. Hope that Cabbage Rolls and Chicken Paprikash are the specials that day.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/17/13 9:57 p.m.

You have a 40% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, with a high of 80 degrees.

East of you in Belpre/Marietta is Blennerhassett Island, a local landmark...but that's more of a history thing.

The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum is located on the SE side of Columbus. (decent) Rt 33 will take you very close.

Nelsonville, is just north of you...they might have the trains running, where you can take a train ride/tour. (Also where the movie 'Mischief' was filmed (rated R for boobies).

Enjoy Ohio!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4lr5aNQJmmAImDK6YpgZ1AU2XrnvLL9raDU8XrNM5QEK5OaRDbT8igNAGWN9tvRG