1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25
RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/19/13 2:59 p.m.

New Flash: 47 year old Mercedes more reliable than people!

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/19/13 3:04 p.m.

I was going to mention Pt. Pleasant, but you were already in Athens. I have some family there. Talk about spooky Mothman stuff...scared the E36 M3 out of me when I stayed there as a kid.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/13 3:36 p.m.
RossD wrote: New Flash: 47 year old Mercedes more reliable than people!

oh snap!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
6/19/13 4:52 p.m.

Angry, I like your plan. We'll be there!

Who else is coming?

Speaking of ice cream, here's what we're up to now:

I had the flavor of the weak!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
6/19/13 5:00 p.m.

Redamak's. New Buffalo, Michigan.

Tom Suddard
6/19/13 6:00 p.m.

We just made it to the Dearborn inn!

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/13 6:13 p.m.

So, the schedule is berkeleyed because of ice cream? How many ice cream places have ya'll stopped at?

Oh, and Tim looks completely respectable in a collared shirt & dockers with his hair combed. Like a completely different person than the other photos...

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/19/13 6:23 p.m.

Uh oh. Looks like we got a stalker. Good call on the constant location updates.

Tom Suddard
6/19/13 6:35 p.m.

Things just got expensive... But at least there are chandeliers.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
6/19/13 6:54 p.m.

That's not expensive. Last week my steak in Phoenix was $55 and there were no sides with it. They were extra.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/19/13 7:02 p.m.

For a good restaurant that's actually inexpensive, I have spent much more, much much more.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/19/13 7:02 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Things just got expensive... But at least there are chandeliers.

That ain't spensive. Y'all need to get out of Florida more. I had a French dinner in Singapore for two that was around 300. Now that's spensive.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/19/13 7:25 p.m.

If the drive went from Columbus straight to Hoosier Tire, I will bet you went right past the Aussie Steve Compound, otherwise known as "The Australian Embassy and Triumph Stag Museum" (though he was not there and the Stags do not run.)
Did you see some windmills, like hundreds of them?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
6/19/13 7:34 p.m.

Wait until they get to a nice place in TC. $$$$$$$$

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/13 8:01 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Uh oh. Looks like we got a stalker. Good call on the constant location updates.

If you're lookin' at me, I'm not stalking. I won't be near any of their stops.

Just commenting on the number of dairy stops (seems overboard to those of us that might be lactose intolerant) and the fact that Tim suddenly appeared dressed like a responsible grown-up (which I'm sure he is).

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/19/13 8:28 p.m.

Tim and the kids are fiends for ice cream. Me, I default more to the Frito-Lay fine family of snacks (also accept pork rinds, beef jerky, and of course that nectar of the gods, Vienna sausages, though I try not to eat those anymore now that I have a firmer idea of my own mortality).

As for the meet-up, we're in for the closer place. Just let us know a time.

Margie

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/19/13 9:01 p.m.

Hey, these guys have to stop and pee every 15 minutes, we might as well get an ice cream or two out of the deal. Since the Mercedes has averaged 52 miles per gallon we never have to stop for gas, so the ice cream stops are nice.

Ironically, we did make it to Detroit with only those two problems and I don't even feel beat up. I really like this car. I would like it even better with that LS1 I have sitting in the garage, or that Euro 2.8 liter Mercedes engine I just scored for $600.Other than being diesel Rabbit slow, this is an awesome car... very comfortable, nice riding, safe, great brakes (even better after we installed the disc brake rear and and limited slip differential), great steering, way better seats (with arm rests) than most cars of this era. I might be developing a new favorite car. Too bad they are so expensive. You might have to spend twice you $2013 to find a decent one.

Tomorrow might be a different day, as I scored a meeting with head of global marketing, Jim Farley at Ford and I better be on my game for that one.

And yes, we will be at the Romulus car show after that. We might be hard to find, as there are probably dozens of blue and white Mercedes sedans there on most weeks.

I understand why one commenter said this borders on creepily intimate for a family vacation, but I guess we are all living in a similar world thanks to social media. Plus we know most of you guys anyway, so hey, why not bring you along.

We are driving up the east coast of Michigan and will go to Mackinac Island next. I am viewing a big private car collection and hopefully driving and writing about a few cars on Sunday near there and then we drop in to Traverse City on Sunday night where we will be the guests of the folks who run Hagerty Insurance and then will visit our good friend and editor, Carl Heideman, who has a home there.

Thanks for tagging along and please buy a subscription to one or both magazines, as I am running out of ice cream money.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
6/19/13 9:15 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: I default more to the Frito-Lay fine family of snacks........

I am 50 years old and started my FL addiction back in the 1960's with the Frito Bandito eraser. I still ask my wife to grab me some Frito's at the store. She won't but treats me to the Trader Joe's corn chips as she is convinced they are "better" for me.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/13 9:16 p.m.

I wish I could make it tomorrow, but I'm coaching my daughter's softball team in their first playoff game in Linden. Can't really miss that......

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/19/13 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

I had that eraser, too... You may have something there. I thought I just loved FL for all their delicious flavor dusts. And the Ruffles. Oh, and the Classic Lays.

Margie

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
6/19/13 9:30 p.m.

Head of global marketing or alternator guru , everyone uses the toilet. Stop when its necessary,and enjoy!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/19/13 9:43 p.m.

Mac Island:
I recommended the White Fish in an earlier posting.
If looking for lunch on Mac Island, I recommend The Ice House Bar and Grill, also the Whitefish.
http://www.theislandhouse.com/ice-house-bar-grill
This is a place you would never find otherwise. It is actually the pool bar and grill for The Island House Hotel which sits right in front of the municipal marina.

This is a great spot for a more reasonably priced lunch. Most of the traffic inside will be employees of the owners businesses. They too know where to get a good deal.
Not easy to find. You literally have to walk down the side driveway of the hotel to the back of the hotel (left side in this picture.) That is the Yacht Club, the gray building with red awning. There is seating inside as well as seating on the back lawn of the hotel.
Ice House menu

Same family that owns the hotel, also owns Ryba's Fudge, Mary's Bistro in downtown Mac.

I was first introduced to the place after a Detroit to Mac sailboat race years back. About 15 of us spent the better part of a full afternoon eating and drinking in their back lawn. A couple of years later, my wife and I stopped in for lunch. We sat at the counter with two locals. Mucho drinks later (I seem to remember a spiked Lemonade made by the bartender), we learned much about growing up on the island and local politics from a guy who used to be the Mayor, holds the painting contract for The Grand Hotel and performs in a band. Later that night, we rejoined one of the seated locals and the bartender at another two bars. At the last bar, the former Mayor was the lead singer.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/19/13 9:54 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Since the Mercedes has averaged 52 miles per gallon we never have to stop for gas

Did I miss that it's a diesel???

That's awesome mileage!!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
6/19/13 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

I sell industrial hoses and had a customer (bearing house) that had the contract at a large Dorito plant near Lafayette, Indiana. I was more excited to get into that plant to see the Doritos being made than I was selling them hoses. Then the joint call got dropped.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/20/13 12:29 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: In reply to Datsun310Guy: I had that eraser, too... You may have something there. I thought I just loved FL for all their delicious flavor dusts. And the Ruffles. Oh, and the Classic Lays. Margie

I've given up most snack chips, and never liked the flavor sprays (that's probably what saved me from Doritos) but for plain Fritos....well, I'm still the kid that fell for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPJkn4eKeY

Love 'em. I'm the guy in front of you at the deli, holding up the line, asking "Don't y'all have just regular Fritos?!?

EDIT: I swear, the voice actor sounds like it's really Mel Blanc. Even though it shouldn't, it amazes me that so many of the people we now consider "legends" in film/radio/TV/etc. just did stuff like that for a paycheck.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AZkpiT4r3gY7Gy8pd6ry0ITHuvSsyzIOfK5JSyTV2LI90s01MwzW81FCYLHVPpkO