1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/14/13 9:17 a.m.

Pasties are readily available in Mac City and largely associated with The UP.
One hour south, there is Albies in Gaylord, MI that has a factory that produces frozen version sold in places like Meijer and Gordon Foods (GFS). They used to have a restaurant there in Gaylord but I think it since closed.
http://www.albies.com/index.cfm

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
6/14/13 9:29 a.m.

We haven't been driving too much in the past few days, as our attention has been focused on the family reunion. Today's dilemma: what should we do with everybody?

I'm voting for this:

But I think we're instead going to Ober Gatlinburg.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/14/13 9:32 a.m.

Not to totally derail this thread, but things would be a whole lot simpler for you and we'd be getting more pics if the forum would allow you to upload pics direct instead of going through a third party. It would also speed up picture loading.

And as an added plus those pictures wouldn't disappear in the future rendering threads useless.

I vote for Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

Tom Suddard
6/14/13 9:33 a.m.

So you're saying Ober Gatlinburg?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 9:33 a.m.

If we want to get in a dick swinging contest over pasties, then real good pasties aren't available outside of Cornwall where they originated. But to tell the truth I'm more than happy with what you can get in Mackinaw city.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/14/13 9:34 a.m.

Isn't a pasty one of those things that goes over a nipple at a burlesque show? They made them in edible form?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
6/14/13 9:36 a.m.

I have a new favorite.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/14/13 9:38 a.m.

Very disturbing!
Mr. Papa Fudge. First Fudge Officer

I think that name was also used in a very specific, ethnic genre of adult cinema.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
6/14/13 9:38 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Isn't a pasty one of those things that goes over a nipple at a burlesque show? They made them in edible form?

That's always been edible.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/14/13 10:11 a.m.

Yes, that's my boy. With the amount of wrenching, writing, photography and computer skills Tom has, I think combined with JG and David's leadership skills we are in good shape for years to come.

Me... I'll just keep buying junk cars and fixing them up, come up with more weird event ideas and sell a few ads now and then.

As for a get together, Thursday night in or near Dearborn is our only shot, and Margie still needs to approve the idea. Involving her on this whole death march has left me a little low on power to push this idea very hard. That crazy girl actually likes time off from all this. I can't imagine why.

beans
beans Reader
6/14/13 10:19 a.m.

Convince her with UP fudge.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/14/13 10:36 a.m.
beans wrote: Can't think of the name of the place, but there's some burger joint in the Detroit area that doesn't have a real menu and goes by the honor system in terms of ordering. Voted like #3 best burger in the nation or something. From what I remember, it's a pretty grungy place, too.

Miller's Bar, Dearborn
8th best burger according to GQ Mag in '06

Edit: not a place for GRM meet since parking and tables suck (but burgers are good.) This is more of an eat fast and get out kind of place.
Something more toward Henry Ford Museum could be a better choice.

I will not be there but also might recommend authentic Detroit Coney Island style Chili Dogs.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/13 10:43 a.m.

pizzapapalis @ mich & oakwood?!

Tom Suddard
6/14/13 11:03 a.m.

Mom just gave us the go-ahead for a get together. Where should we meet up with everybody?

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
6/14/13 11:31 a.m.

I'm out Thursday. Gotta make money.

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant at GRMWHQ
6/14/13 11:44 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I have a new favorite.

Creepy.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/13 1:59 p.m.

I can do lunch on Thursday, but the evening is out, my daughter's softball team has it's first playoff game that night.

beans
beans Reader
6/14/13 2:34 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
beans wrote: Can't think of the name of the place, but there's some burger joint in the Detroit area that doesn't have a real menu and goes by the honor system in terms of ordering. Voted like #3 best burger in the nation or something. From what I remember, it's a pretty grungy place, too.
Miller's Bar, Dearborn 8th best burger according to GQ Mag in '06 Edit: not a place for GRM meet since parking and tables suck (but burgers are good.) This is more of an eat fast and get out kind of place. Something more toward Henry Ford Museum could be a better choice. I will not be there but also might recommend authentic Detroit Coney Island style Chili Dogs.

That's it! Gonna go there in a couple weeks with my buddy and dad.

I'm sure there's some kickass mediterrinian(sp?) place we could go to in Dearborn.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/13 2:42 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: As for a get together, Thursday night in or near Dearborn is our only shot

i googled "thursday night cruise MI" and came up with some options not too far from Dearborn.

the list linked above covers the whole of Detroit and some far-reaching areas as well. Certainly we can pick something that doesn't take you too far off your intended path. Livonia, Garden City, Romulus, and Redford are all pretty close to Dearborn.

i will call the listed phone numbers for the nearby events and see if i can get some info about them.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/14/13 2:58 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Isn't a pasty one of those things that goes over a nipple at a burlesque show? They made them in edible form?
That's always been edible.

You have NO idea how many times I've nearly hotlinked a pic since that word first popped up in this thread. But I figure Margie would track me down and remove me in some horrible way which would end with a patio annex.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/14/13 6:20 p.m.

Wait, if you work at this factory putting the product into bags, are you a Fudge Packer?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/13 7:22 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: A few more photos of the process.

They didn't have a metric one?

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
6/14/13 7:59 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Pasties are readily available in Mac City and largely associated with The UP.

FWIW (future reference) they are also an Eastern PA thing...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/15/13 1:38 a.m.
AutoXR wrote: Do a mag article on this, its why I buy magazines...

I'm sure they are, the thing is actually a Classic Motorsports project car..have you considered subscribing to CM?

http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1966-mercedes-benz-230-s/

Tom Suddard
6/15/13 1:21 p.m.

Today is another long day of driving; we left the family reunion a few hours ago. The car is running great, but lunch so far has consisted of grapes and Funyuns. I am disappoint. :(

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UO39jOGR53yVmqcnXS8HQkLdISmX4EPFevK69FGKw4mZbjNkFqCdpKOL5hLxNkiH