Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
6/3/24 9:36 a.m.

2016 Ram 1500, 4wd

I've noticed a clunking noise when coming off the brakes occasionally. I narrowed it down to either the rotors or the wheel bearing.

When inspecting it this weekend, I saw the wheel bearing/studs had about 1/4 inch of play in the rotor holes. Is that normal? Rotors probably have 60k miles (still lots of life, no warping) and bearings have maybe 40k on them. 

Im not sure if the wheel studs should be a perfect fit inside the rotor or not.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/24 10:02 a.m.

It's pretty typical for the rotor holes to be larger. Once the wheel is bolted down, it's not spinning. Unless you see visible wear marks fore and aft, I wouldn't be worried.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/24 12:19 p.m.

What iansane said. The clamping force of the bolts keeps it from spinning, the holes are just there to stick the studs through. 

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
6/3/24 2:20 p.m.

Thank you for the info, good to know as I really didn't want to do wheel bearings again.

I did some more research on my issue, and I think it might be driveshaft play. It's apparently very common on tacomas, but a few people have greased the splines on the Rams and said it went away...so that's what I'll do this weekend!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/24 3:32 p.m.

Driveline backlash frequently causes a clunk between on-throttle and off-throttle. My H3 will clunk on occasion when it shifts from 2nd to 1st when coasting up to a stop. If it downshifts while the drive line is slack it clunks a little. 

Usually, wheel bearings rumble instead of a clunk and it's louder turning one direction compared to the other. I have heard a metallic pop out of them before, but by that point you usually see metal on the wheels. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/8/24 7:52 a.m.

It's a dodge truck, they wear out wheel bearings with surprising frequency. I loved mine but just expected to replace the wheel bearings every 55-60k

Hoppps
Hoppps Reader
6/14/24 1:50 p.m.

I think I found my mystery clunk...I upgraded to the heavy duty mevotech lower control arms which have a greaseable ball joint. I looked at them and they were flat as a pancake...put some grease in them and it seems to have worked! Still need to do an hour+ test drive to confirm.

the issue I had started as a clunk felt in the driver floor and pedals when coming to a stop, so I initially thought brakes. It then progressed to be whenever I came to a harder stop, which finally led me to ball joint. They came pre greased...but I guess that got used up.

also, it was a hassle to grease. Had to grind down the grease gun fitting to fit between the control arm and axle. Then I said Berkeley it and got a needle greaser. Seems to work!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jrOhvLZapP9lSAi1gBQZQzgaUL32MR8dABdyxYtbksMC1xHWyNBnOqwsMd8gwrFG