1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/6/16 11:00 p.m.

The plan for this one is really simple. Clean it up, maintain it, fix a few things, and use it.

The interior is quite dirty and the seat is covered in cat hair.

And the topper needs some work, but it's mechanically and structurally sound. Next update to come tomorrow.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/6/16 11:11 p.m.

Nice truck. Interesting looking topper. I wonder what type of truck it is designed to fit.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/6/16 11:20 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle:

Me too.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/7/16 8:49 a.m.

probably a boxy ford, the beds are wider at the top. i was wrong about keeping it, chuck it and get a properly fitting one.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
2/7/16 9:30 a.m.

Looks like a good work truck. Please please please take the chrome fender trim off.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/7/16 9:46 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

I wish I could. They're bolted to the truck using non-galvanized sheet metal screws. Those aren't budging unless I cut the fenders . The good news is that the chrome trim is growing on me, so that's a plus.

LonH
LonH New Reader
2/7/16 10:31 a.m.

Nice truck. In my experience these are bullet proof, easy and cheap to repair.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/16 4:03 p.m.

I don't mind the chrome trim but if you wanted to remove it you could probably just grind the screw heads off and leave the rest of it in the fender.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/7/16 7:44 p.m.

So today, I bought Walmart's cheapest shop vac (a Stanley 1 gallon portable one) and got to work with the interior. I was impressed with it's performance for the price. The result? Much less cat hair. I also gave the dash a good clean with some Megs interior detailer, and then oxi-cleaned the truck cap to get all the grungy crud off of it. I also used a waterless wash n wax on the entire vehicle, and re-wired a badly wired door chime. The result? It's quickly becoming a much nicer truck. Sorry for the lack of photos, it was dark when I finished cleaning it. Pics to come tomorrow.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/8/16 11:06 a.m.

I don't hate the chrome wheel arches but if you want change they could be easily Platidipped to black. If so, maybe Dip the chrome front bumper too for a unified look.
Of course, right now, the chrome arches match the chrome bumper which is a nice look.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
2/8/16 11:21 a.m.

Scrap the camper and maybe order a new carpet? I can't tell but it looks rubber to me. But then again rubber flooring isn't bad, I've got it in my Volvo and when something spills, berkeley it

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/9/16 10:44 a.m.

In reply to chiodos:

Yup, it's rubber. I have to go over it with a toothbrush and some lysol, but overall it isn't in bad shape.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/9/16 10:54 a.m.

Rubber flooring is good in general, but it does tend to trap moisture if it gets underneath it. When it warms up you might want to pull the seat and carpet to make sure the truck isn't eating itself from the inside out.

brad131a4
brad131a4 New Reader
2/9/16 11:11 a.m.

Nice truck but with the picture there is so much win and lose all at the same time. I'm with ditching the wheel arch trim. Had those on a 88 Silverado and it looked so much better once I removed them. Not digging the mud flaps but it maybe because they look like a square piece of plastic just screwed on. Now in true GRM fashion I feel you should cut and section the cap to fit the bed of the truck. It needs to be fully documented here with step by step instructions and pictures. As far as the main truck it looks like with a little tlc could be very nice.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/9/16 7:48 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Rubber flooring is good in general, but it does tend to trap moisture if it gets underneath it. When it warms up you might want to pull the seat and carpet to make sure the truck isn't eating itself from the inside out.

I've pulled the seat, and looked underneath - thankfully, there isn't any rust. I will keep that in mind, though.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
2/9/16 8:19 p.m.

Cool, a GMT400 standard cab with roll up windows. Simple is always better! In the states, you need to hold an AARP card to legally possess and display mud flaps that large Just kidding...

Any more pics?...

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/9/16 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Doc Brown:

I'll take more tomorrow, when it's not dark out. I did some more cleaning, along with a few small tweaks and repairs.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/11/16 10:17 p.m.

The saga shall continue tomorrow - this time with pictures, I swear!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/17/16 1:33 p.m.

Well, as ever, I put stuff off. I got in a fight with a mirror at the Pick N Pull, and all I got was diminished pride. So I popped for new glass from Rock Auto. It should be arriving next week . In other news, I washed and waxed it, and it's now looking a million times better. No pictures, because I forgot to take them yesterday, and it's currently raining . Oh well, at least I can show you guys what it looks like under a moody sky.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
2/17/16 2:19 p.m.

Nice, now it's clean the other make camper looks even more out of place! Haha.

Don't you hate when you clean one thing you realize you got to clean others to make it look right? I expect to see a full write up on you cleaning up those wheels!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/17/16 6:36 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

They need paint badly. Also, I need to pick up some Nevr-Dull for the trim rings. For the value proposition, it's tough to beat.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/18/16 1:23 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fKnZJvGZ6vM Cold start! On the good side, she sounds really healthy. On the downside, I noticed a little puff of opaque smoke when it immediately started up. It has been sitting for a week or so, but still, it's never done that before, even with prior cold starts. Oh well, just another thing for me to investigate. In the mean time, enjoy the sound!

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
2/18/16 1:32 p.m.

Nothing to worry about, they all do it to some degree. Usually just a bit of oil getting past the valve guides when sitting. That is a very small amount of smoke, compared to what some do.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/18/16 1:39 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Nothing to worry about, they all do it to some degree. Usually just a bit of oil getting past the valve guides when sitting. That is a very small amount of smoke, compared to what some do.

Huh. TIL.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/18/16 2:03 p.m.

If you had pulled the exhaust manifolds off before you started it you probably wouldn't even see the oil on the valves with that little smoke. I've seen plenty of high mileage engines where the exhaust valves would look wet after the engine sat a day or two, those will put off a car sized cloud when you start them next.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oye6nLJoLl7iXxL21oy6boiys1KLGHstdJ8QuaWESZ4sQEuGo74QYy0TN8dHrzUb