1 2
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/09 9:13 a.m.

Last Saturday I received a call from the president of an aftermarket supplier, who found my resume on one of the big job sites. After about a minute of general discussion, he asked me "So tell me about 'Think Globally, Stop Locally'," which is the title of the article I wrote for the June 2008 issue of GRM.

Yesterday he flew me down for a 2:30PM interview. During the interview, he looked through the article several times, and handed copies of it to everyone else who interviewed me. I spent some time talking about the Challenge, the cars I've built for the Challenge, etc.

Interview / plant tour / product demonstration / etc lasted 6 hours ( ! ), and my 10PM return flight was already boarding when I got through security.

If we agree on compensation I will be moving to SC, and there's no doubt that my experience writing this article for GRM is at least partly responsible.

The lesson in all this is, choose your words carefully, motherberkeleyers.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/09 9:15 a.m.

That's awesome! Good luck Angry!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/09 9:17 a.m.

Sweet, good luck.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/19/09 9:19 a.m.

wow cool. good luck AC!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter UltimaDork
2/19/09 9:34 a.m.

Got my fingers crossed for ya, Angry.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/19/09 9:38 a.m.

All of you guys losing jobs were freaking me out. The fact that you all seem to be finding cool new ones gives me hope.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/09 9:41 a.m.

Congratulations and best of luck, Patrick! Maybe we will run across each other at a CCR event or at CMP.

Hey, if that company needs a 'seat of the pants' fabricator....

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/19/09 9:52 a.m.

Good luck.. Congrats.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/19/09 9:52 a.m.

That's cool, it's funny but GRM changed a buddy of mine's life. Our $2006 challenge car that never made it gave him a helluva lot of hands on engine/trans/tuning experience. He was bored with his configuration management job as he's really a designer/lab rat at heart and after applying w/no professional hands-on experience w/engines to an aerospace company with references to his work on cars and our challenge car he got hired and is doing some pretty cool engine design, tuning, and testing work for unmanned aircraft!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/19/09 10:03 a.m.

Dude, say the word and I'll throw your byline on any story we have in the archives and send you a pdf if it'll help.

Good luck, brother.

jg

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/19/09 10:09 a.m.

good luck man and congrats

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/19/09 10:22 a.m.

How will your new employers feel about being associated with an angry guy? Will they make you change your handle to "NiceCorvair"?

Seriously, congratulations. To the rest of us, GRM is the enabler to our addiction. It looks like you're going to the good side of the supply cycle!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/09 10:26 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Dude, say the word and I'll throw your byline on any story we have in the archives and send you a pdf if it'll help. Good luck, brother. jg

now that's funny. i'm definitely feeling the love.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/09 10:43 a.m.

Not sure where you might be headed in SC, but I just visited Columbia, SC over the weekend. I was expecting lots of pickup trucks with rebel flags, but was pleasantly surprised at what a great little town it was. Trendy, revitalized, interesting, and full of real-estate steals! Good luck.

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
2/19/09 11:07 a.m.

What part of SC?

Before I moved to Alabama I lived in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. Very nice area. That's where my parents are so I'm through the area every now and then.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
2/19/09 11:09 a.m.

Wait a minute... you were asking about SW suburbs earlier weren't you?

It's not PFC is it? I'll seriously lol if so...

Any way you slice it, good stuff! Let us know what happens (obviously!)

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/09 11:21 a.m.

Hey P, was it Chucktown you are looking for?

My sister (the smartEST one) is in the area (Mt.Pleasant) and may be able to help you in your hunt. Also her hubby is one of those semi pro rugby nutjobs, I could see you two getting along.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/09 12:03 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Not sure where you might be headed in SC, but I just visited Columbia, SC over the weekend. I was expecting lots of pickup trucks with rebel flags, but was pleasantly surprised at what a great little town it was. Trendy, revitalized, interesting, and full of real-estate steals! Good luck.

We talking about the same Columbia, SC? Plenty of real estate steals but that's about it.

Angry will probably wind up somewhere around Rock Hill. I don't know much about that area, I've only been through it on I-77.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
2/19/09 12:06 p.m.

If he's going where I think he's going, it will be west of 77, more in the Lake Wylie area... Rock Hill would be a long (ish) commute.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/09 12:06 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Hey P, was it Chucktown you are looking for? My sister (the smartEST one) is in the area (Mt.Pleasant) and may be able to help you in your hunt. Also her hubby is one of those semi pro rugby nutjobs, I could see you two getting along.

Mt. P is the trendy part of Chucktown. Lots to do there; beach, fishing, golf if you are so inclined, hunting in the Francis Marion NF, plenty o' bars and restaraunts. Only thing is, it's gotten so crowded that the traffic is atrocious. Toyman01 lives there, he calls it Mount Misery.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/09 12:11 p.m.

The Lake Wylie area is downright pretty. Or at least it was the last time I was up there. Lake Norman is nice but the real estate prices OMFG....

Greenville/Spartanburg has great scenery but honestly not a whole lot to do unless you are sorta outdoorsy. Plenty of hiking, whitewater rafting boating etc in the immediate area (like a day trip). The weather can also suxxor from January through March (cold and rainy). Still, it's on my short list of places to live. Mostly because it's pretty dang close to Road Atlanta.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/19/09 12:40 p.m.
Angry said: The lesson in all this is, choose your words carefully, motherberkeleyers.

sigworthy. Good luck buddy. The fact that you could be a mere 5 hour drive away pleases me.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
2/19/09 12:51 p.m.

Glad to see the interview went well.

It will be great to have you in the SouthEast. Good luck Pat!

Now you really won't have an excuse not to attend the Mitty!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/19/09 1:53 p.m.

Me too!

When I interviewed for my current position, I never even showed my resume.

We talked about building wacky things for the Challenge, racing a Yugo, and that was about all it took.

I'm still trying to convince the boss to sponsor a Challenger!

Good Luck!!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/19/09 2:12 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Me too! When I interviewed for my current position, I never even showed my resume. We talked about building wacky things for the Challenge, racing a Yugo, and that was about all it took. I'm still trying to convince the boss to sponsor a Challenger! Good Luck!!

My boss is VERY interested in the dumb crap i do to cars (in her view) but mainly as a mothering instinct.

She didn't like when i put on my performance review the answer to the following question:

"Where would you like to see yourself in 10 years?" (Should have specified within the company motherberkeleyers!)

"Racing professionally in some sort of endurance venue, bartending part time."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oKpmprHnjg67WA7ExRVFOG6efCyKBG6F9JS5Za6M6bXVNxk0VsKvP0AHtA0QgBRV