1 ... 3 4 5
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/19 10:33 a.m.

The Golf R will be a decent runner up to what you really wanted. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/17/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to MTechnically :

A tune on the EA888 seems to bump it to anywhere from 320-350awhp depending on boost levels, other mods, etc.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/17/19 10:34 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

LOL!  No!

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
6/17/19 10:55 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Depends on the EA888 that your working with. I had a '17 GTI SE, which was rated at 220HP from the factory. A 93 octane flash tune from APR brings it up to the numbers I used (Stage I/93OCT/High torque).

The Golf R and GTI both use the EA888. The turbo is bigger on the R, and I believe there are a few differences between the internal parts being used in that application. Both are capable of serious power for a two liter. The VAQ differential does a great job of managing torque on the GTI, but ultimately those cars are traction limited especially once you get into extra power.

The Golf R is definitely the route to go if you're actually going to use the performance regularly. I looked into getting one but ended up with a GTI because I didn't see myself using the extra performance during my commute. There was a huge Vista between my '17 GTI SE and the R when it came to price as well. If you like the R, seriously consider a GTI, or at least test one out. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/17/19 1:12 p.m.

I did drive the GTi, a few times in fact.  My friend boughta GTi last year for the same reasons as you, he couldn't see spending the delta on the R.  I decided on the R for a few reasons. 

#1 AWD.  I need to be able to get to work at all times.  With a set of snow tires, the R should be damn well unstoppable.  I also go skiing a lot and awd going over the high passes here in Colorado is a nice thing to have.  Lastly, I didn't like the "One wheel peel" that the GTi had

#2  Power.  I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the GTi alone, just not enough oomph for me.  The R is quite quick in factory form and I hope to leave it like that.  We'll see how that turns out but I have a much better chance with the R vs the GTi

#3  Exclusivity/resale.  Far fewer R's out there, especially 6MT's like what I'm getting.  Resale on these, particularly here in Colorado is quite high.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/17/19 1:28 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

The Golf R will be a decent runner up to what you really wanted. 

That's not what he really wanted, this is:

Him and James May. ;) 

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
6/17/19 1:30 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Definitely understand going for the R given your reasons.

Just as a point of order, the MK7 equipped with the VAQ differential wouldn't have the one wheel peel issue. It came with all performance pack (10hp, VAQ, Golf R brakes) equipped cars.

Totally makes sense wanting to keep the car stock and going for the higher performance option. I did get hit pretty hard by depreciation when I sold my car, so your thinking is spot on there.

The only thing we don't agree on is the clutch and shifter feel on the R. I test drove one and really didn't like it. That is probably a function of owning an S2000 for six years. Ended up with a DSG in my GTI. If you were going to mod the car I'd nudge you to go that route, but the stick is better for everyday engagement.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/17/19 1:41 p.m.

I'm not sure if the GTi's I drove had the diff or not, but they were definitely peeling out under acceleration on corner exit. 

The clutch feel is really light on the R, I'll probably delete the clutch delay valve and see how it feels.  Shifter feel is pretty much what I'm used to, but I've driven VW/Audi/Porsche/BMW's for years, so I haven't been spoiled by an S2000.

DSG is definitely faster than the 6MT.  Over 1/2 second to 60 and more like 0.6-0.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile.  End of the day tho, I just enjoy the feeling of rowing my own gears.  I think this may be the last of an era, I wouldn't be surprised if VW deletes the 6MT on all cars going forward, even tho the "take rate" on the 6MT on the GTi's and R's is something like 40%.

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
6/17/19 3:24 p.m.

As the owner of a Stage 2 MK7 GTI with full bolt ons, I kinda want an R due to AWD. torque steer isnt that bad, but i kick on traction control 1st 2nd and some of 3rd, on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

I dont have the VAQ diff though

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/27/19 5:45 p.m.

Picked it up today!  Color is a very heavy metallic gray, really sparkles in the sunlight!  Really impressed with the way it drives, good power, awesome brakes, nice handling and very comfy.  The tech is over the top, especially compared to the '08 GX470 I had been driving.

Already have some parts to put on it, the VW homelink mirror to start, then an exhaust center resonator delete pipe.  Tomorrow morning it goes in for tint/clear bra and I have a VW roof rack for my bikes/skis. 

First road trip next week to Steamboat!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/19 6:22 p.m.

Looks really good!

I love the black wheels. 

I have a feeling I will be picking up one of these VERY soon. The main problem is picking a color as there are like 45 different options surprise

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/19 7:51 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Very nice indeed.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/27/19 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Well, let me make it easier for you.  The 45 colors, aka "Spektrum" were extremely limited release only.  VW only released 252 of them, 2 of which they kept, so only 250 cars you could get with that color palette choice.  Guess what?  They're all gone.

That's why I have a grey one vs a crazy orange one or something.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
6/27/19 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

Thanks!  It's got a surprising amount of power and I'm sure it'll get more as the motor loosens up.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YHdgBa5Y9KzjxJNvTwBjDMnaPI4aODXXQIimrOijzfxHG1REXPkL95ctWM1lG59b