1 ... 525 526 527 528 529 ... 2005
KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/9/16 8:15 a.m.

I just found out that my (step) cousin made a billion dollars last year. I'm struggling to make it to payday each month and he shorted oil (hedge fund manager) and is about to break into the Forbes 400.

Being born into the right family with the right contacts in life is the key to success.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/9/16 8:33 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

It's a key to success. That can be screwed up, too.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/9/16 8:48 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Hopefully he's not one of the "Born on 3rd, thinks he hit a triple." type. I can't stand that E36 M3.

It's kind of tough to imagine making $1,000,000,000 in a year... I would be neck deep in piece of E36 M3 vehicles that I didn't want to work on. Lol

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/9/16 8:58 a.m.

He's a nice guy, about ten years ago (last time we talked) he was making around 20 million a year and drove a turbo 911 or a Land Rover. Living in Manhattan he's driven most places (or likely helicopters to the airport).

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/9/16 9:24 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Does he need a well-paid chauffeur?

WilD
WilD HalfDork
9/9/16 12:36 p.m.

The thing about $1,000,000,000 is that you could hand out $1,000,000 gifts to family members like most people hand out $100. Would you give your relative $100 to try out some business ideas?

Yeah... I wouldn't either.

But that is a staggeringly large amount of money... Which brings me to my rant (probably universal): I do not poses a staggering amount of money.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/16 2:30 p.m.

The convergence of people not properly managing work programs and people (some of the same) not paying any attention to what I am working on is currently making my life at work a bit annoying. I suppose that it's nice that work never goes very long before reminding me of why I'm looking for another job so I don't get too complacent and question whether or not leaving is really the best option...

Also.... most weeks, I get one day a week to sleep in a bit and get more than 5.5 to 6 hours of sleep (there's another rant here... another day...): Saturday. I work M-F and about half of the year have to usher at church on Sundays since we have like 5 active members, so Saturdays are the one day I can sleep in if I choose. Half the time I don't, or don't that much, since SWMBO has to be up early herself for work so I get up to be able to have breakfast with her and then get a lot done during the day.

Tomorrow morning I have to be at the church at 8:45 because of a presentation that is being given, and I'm the only person at the church who has the remotest clue of how to do anything with the sound system. Grr.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/9/16 3:02 p.m.
WilD wrote: The thing about $1,000,000,000 is that you could hand out $1,000,000 gifts to family members like most people hand out $100. Would you give your relative $100 to try out some business ideas? Yeah... I wouldn't either. But that is a staggeringly large amount of money... Which brings me to my rant (probably universal): I do not poses a staggering amount of money.

Dave Barry has a novel called "Insane City", at one point some very rich men enter the story, and one of them ends up becoming buds with a jobless loser guy and together they buy a pizza joint and a chinese food restaurant because they were hungry, and high. The fun part is when the super rich guy talks to the loser guy about how much they spent that night, which was under $1MM, and he says that if he wanted to, he could do that every night for around 100 years.

That's rich.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
9/9/16 7:45 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
WilD wrote: The thing about $1,000,000,000 is that you could hand out $1,000,000 gifts to family members like most people hand out $100. Would you give your relative $100 to try out some business ideas? Yeah... I wouldn't either. But that is a staggeringly large amount of money... Which brings me to my rant (probably universal): I do not poses a staggering amount of money.
Dave Barry has a novel called "Insane City", at one point some very rich men enter the story, and one of them ends up becoming buds with a jobless loser guy and together they buy a pizza joint and a chinese food restaurant because they were hungry, and high. The fun part is when the super rich guy talks to the loser guy about how much they spent that night, which was under $1MM, and he says that if he wanted to, he could do that every night for around 100 years. That's rich.

That is an awesome book. Highly recommend it to anyone who has not read it yet.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/9/16 9:20 p.m.

Go to help my dad move stuff too a farm property hes working on because he wants to live back outside of town, first his s10 cranks and wont start, then we decide screw it we will just use my chevy. Yup blew a brakeline backing into his driveway!So one day this weekend i get to drive the 50 miles back down there, fix my truck well enough too limp it home, diagnose his truck and try to figure out the easy route to fix it. This day was not my idea of a good time!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/16 10:06 p.m.

I just wish people at work would shut up. I do not mind them not working (that much) but don't follow me around talking politics, motorcycle clubs, Masons, or the paranoid delusion of the day. I am an introvert, I NEED some quiet time during the day to keep my head screwed on tight. Talking non-stop for 8 hours is going to drive me insane.

I especially dislike the politics part... doubly so when all you can talk about are the paranoid delusions your side has against the other candidate

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/16 1:58 p.m.

This morning I tweaked my back getting ready to head out for a rallycross at our best venue. I'm generally fine, but it was tight enough when I did it that I had trouble walking and didn't think it was smart to drive two hours to the event, change four tires in a grassy field, go through the event, change the tires again, and drive back.

The rant is directed at myself because I twisted while lifting a tire over a lawn mower instead of moving the mower out of the way.

At my age, I should know better. I'm a dumbass.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/16 2:20 p.m.

I made a mess on the back patio while cooking a couple of pork shoulders last weekend. This morning I pulled out the pressure washer, to clean it up.

That expanded to getting a little mildew off the brick by the patio.

Then just a little around the porch.

A few cob webs around the eves.

A widow or two.

By that time, I had the extended wand out, two ladders, 100' of hose...

Note to self, never get out the pressure washer on a Saturday morning, unless you are pressure washing the entire house.

So much for taking a day off.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/16 8:03 p.m.

Welp, apparently the neighbor's outdoor cat just scared a skunk.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/16 8:24 p.m.

can they borrow Toyman's powerwasher to get the smell out?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/16 8:45 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The smell is coming from inside my house! (1950s horror movie musical sting)

No, really, I found out about it because the windows are open.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/10/16 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

"Skunk" smell coming from inside your house. I'm sure. There were a few houses in my old neighborhood that's had pet skunks I think.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/16 9:01 p.m.

We were making progress. I got the wife to start using a walker and we were taking a nice walk after dinner every night. She got up Tuesday too dizzy to drive to work. The doctor thought it was vertigo related to an ear infection. She's been on meds all week but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Just walking around the house she's more wobbly than normal so it looks like we're going to be headed back to the doc Monday.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/10/16 9:14 p.m.

Sold enough E36 M3 to FINALLY buy tires for the Challenge Roach . . . And had to spend the cash on maintenance E36 M3 for Caddy and the 7. . . Berk

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/16 9:45 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Welp, apparently the neighbor's outdoor cat just scared a skunk.

Sure the cat isn't just a pothead?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/11/16 4:24 p.m.

It's Sunday. I don't work on Sunday. It's family time. Quit berkeleying calling. I've told you this at least 5 times.

Bonus: went to a civil war reenactment today. There was a mouth breathing moron talking out of his ass and making fun of the thing to his girlfriend the whole time. We moved to a worse spot. He followed. A few times. I wanted to throat punch him and explain to him while he was gasping for breath just why he was a doosh.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/11/16 8:02 p.m.

Drove 50 miles south too fix my truck, damn thing takes 1/4inch brake line. So thats still there and broke. The good news is 3hrs later my dads s10 has a new fuel pump and runs. Capture nuts were junk on one side so the bed got jacked up nice and white trash. Im beat.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
9/11/16 8:15 p.m.

For no reason at all I'm in a terrible mood today. I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. berkeley everyone.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
9/11/16 11:29 p.m.

If you are begging me for money, you are in no position to tell me that making payments on a car is the worse thing I can do. Your financial opinion is null and void.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/12/16 2:18 a.m.

Night shift induced insomnia.

Grrrrrrr.....

1 ... 525 526 527 528 529 ... 2005

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xLglkHH1YkNWIoFYnSRaifEOO2VlDbL7xOKBXOIPOyM9GYLgV8CkUEpmeGOd2aw7