Is the BMW M2 actually faster than it looks?

J.G.
By J.G. Pasterjak
May 24, 2023 | BMW, FIRM, Review, Track Test, M2, BMW M2, Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park | Posted in Features | Never miss an article

Photography Credit: Chris Tropea

Perhaps the best way to explain the BMW M2 to you, dear reader, is to send you on a little journey to YouTube.

Before you read this story, watch literally any Tenacious D video. Or any of Jack Black’s movie clips or many appearances on any of the late-night talk shows.


You’ll see a husky gentleman–not what you’d call movie-star handsome–who moves …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 79 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Join Free Join our community to easily find more BMW, FIRM, Review, Track Test, M2, BMW M2 and Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park articles.
Comments
View comments on the GRM forums
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/23 10:46 a.m.

Um...  are those tiny human arms on the duck?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/24/23 12:18 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yes, yes there is.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/23 12:53 p.m.

I appreciate the tiny duck arms. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/23 12:59 p.m.

I recently had a student with one of these.  Holy throttle on oversteer Batman!  The whole car is awesome but if I owned one my rear tire budget would be through the roof.  It's not like the car is trying to bite you.  It's very drivable but it's also just begging for you to hang the back end out on corner exit.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/24/23 12:59 p.m.

I'd love to test drive an M2 out of curiosity , but it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to part with $65k+......

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/24/23 4:16 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

It has great street manners. You could easily daily it, unless you got a bunch of people you need to haul around.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/24/23 4:46 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Just me and the wife. Current dailies are my R53 MINI and her '06 xB, so a BMW would be a significant upgrade.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/24/23 6:11 p.m.

Screw the M2! I want a Sax A Boom. LOL! I really needed that today.

 

I'm starting to get the upgrade itch. I was just looking at Supras, C8s, and Mach 1s the other day. This M2 looks like a hoot. I've finally gotten past the weight and looks. This would be a legitimate dual duty daily/track day toy.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/25/23 9:19 a.m.
CAinCA said:

I'm starting to get the upgrade itch. I was just looking at Supras, C8s, and Mach 1s the other day. This M2 looks like a hoot. I've finally gotten past the weight and looks. This would be a legitimate dual duty daily/track day toy.

A lot of good options on the market right now for sure.

I can also say the M2 looks a bit different in person than in photos. Not sure why that seems to be a trend with OEMs recently.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/23 9:55 a.m.

That's the car my son wants. I had to explain that after he crashed his last BMW he really should stick with the FWD Hyundai until his skills and impulse control improve. Personally I find it very attractive physically and dynamically.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/23 1:14 p.m.

I have much want for this. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/25/23 1:53 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Personally I find it very attractive physically...

I think it kind of looks like the LEGO version of itself.

Not as horrifically bad as just about everything else BMW is making these days, but... not good.

 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/23 3:32 p.m.
Duke said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Personally I find it very attractive physically...

I think it kind of looks like the LEGO version of itself.

Not as horrifically bad as just about everything else BMW is making these days, but... not good.

 

I would buy that Technic kit if they made it. 

SYT_Shadow
SYT_Shadow
5/26/23 6:58 p.m.

Thank you for the great review! It drives really well, it has a great chassis, engine, brakes, available 6mt, all for 65k, and you don't have to sell your soul to buy one! Or sacrifice your firstborn to get an allocation. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/27/23 10:29 a.m.

Don't care how it drives.  While it's not as hideous looking as the M3/4, it's still nowhere near what I'd consider a decent looking car, let alone a handsome one.  So I have zero interest in it.  Sad, because for many years BMW made the best sport coupe/sedans out there, that were also handsome to look at.  Now there's not a single BMW I'd care to have in my garage, if I won one in a raffle, I'd immediately sell it and use the money to buy a Porsche.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/23 11:00 a.m.

Out of curiosity, how many people who are ripping the car's looks have seen one in person?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/27/23 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I have.  It's no better looking in person, it's like a Transformers car.  Bleah.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/23 1:13 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Fair enough. It's good to reserve full judgement till you've actually seen something. The current Z-car, for instance, gives me the opposite reaction. Looks better on paper than in person.

The driving experience sounds great in any event.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/23 2:58 p.m.
docwyte said:

Don't care how it drives.  While it's not as hideous looking as the M3/4, it's still nowhere near what I'd consider a decent looking car, let alone a handsome one.  So I have zero interest in it.  Sad, because for many years BMW made the best sport coupe/sedans out there, that were also handsome to look at.  Now there's not a single BMW I'd care to have in my garage, if I won one in a raffle, I'd immediately sell it and use the money to buy a Porsche.

I don't know. There's one parked outside my wife's store and I think it looks just about right.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/23 1:19 a.m.

the 1 and 2 are the best looking BMWs out there right now. If my next car were to be gasoline powered, it would be near the top of the list.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy HalfDork
5/28/23 1:40 a.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
docwyte said:

Don't care how it drives.  While it's not as hideous looking as the M3/4, it's still nowhere near what I'd consider a decent looking car, let alone a handsome one.  So I have zero interest in it.  Sad, because for many years BMW made the best sport coupe/sedans out there, that were also handsome to look at.  Now there's not a single BMW I'd care to have in my garage, if I won one in a raffle, I'd immediately sell it and use the money to buy a Porsche.

I don't know. There's one parked outside my wife's store and I think it looks just about right.

That appears to be the previous generation M2, which I agree looks very nice. The current version has a overly blocky look to it:

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/28/23 11:29 a.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

I realized that after posting. Now I'm keeping my eye out for the new one.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/28/23 1:35 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to mainlandboy :

I realized that after posting. Now I'm keeping my eye out for the new one.

It looks good in person as well; not like every BMW ever so there are detractors. It's beefy but it melds together well. I hope to afford one after it has depreciated a bit.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/30/23 10:53 a.m.

I think this is the best looking BMW to come out in 20 years.  And the article suggests performance potential close to a C8 Vette.  Color me very interested.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/30/23 12:38 p.m.

I don't understand why people hate the looks, but maybe I'm blind. All I know is other than the fact that its heavy, it has stupid amounts of power. These things dyno 450+ WHP stock!

Our Preferred Partners
dOlg1WjnYC3tLhiDlPxq8V0pyu3BdE4LljbNVNS19uUiTsKtAxwuxduIvhg1pMGF