1 2
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
7/22/13 4:48 p.m.

So we have an unused room at the house that so far has been a storage unit for boxes and junk. Since I'm super bored at home and SWMBO won't allow me to buy a project car or bike, I have turned to making a "Man Cave".

I need a list of stuff for this room. Here is what I have come up with:

Big Screen TV for football, racing...
Monster fridge or Redbull fridge for beverages
A collection of racing posters
Some light up beer signs or wall nic nacs
Surround Sound system

Anything I am missing. Trying to do this on the cheap and in time for foosball season!

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
7/22/13 4:56 p.m.

Car parts- grills, fenders,etc hanging on the walls.

Big/cushy chairs that are stain-resistant

Stripper pole so your wife has a reason to visit the man cave...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/22/13 4:59 p.m.

Any halfway decent Man Cave needs a half-finished project bike in it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/22/13 5:05 p.m.

A man cave needs a urinal, some way to play music and a fridge that makes ice. everything else is pretty much optional.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork

Kind of from the other thread, but I want a working police lightbar in my mancave.

+1 on the stripper pole and bike, either motorized or not.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

A bunch of model cars/toy cars, a slot car track, and an engine coffee table.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
7/22/13 5:27 p.m.

Being as you work for a race team, you need a wall of shame or wall of scrapnel. Cool blown up E36 M3 either in a glass display case that's used for a bar, or whatever. This must be done. Wheels as coffee tables. Car parts as lamps. Old carburetors as hanging lights. Get creative. Racing livery wallpaper or paint. Martini Racing wall. Gulf Racing wall. Do it. Do it now!!!

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
7/22/13 5:47 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: A man cave needs a urinal, some way to play music and a fridge that makes ice. everything else is pretty much optional.

You put ice in your beer?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/22/13 6:01 p.m.

In terms of décor, I’d go with Vargas...within the margins of appropriateness while unambiguously accomplishing the objective.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/22/13 6:02 p.m.

Some sort of bar
Small sink to wash glasses
dart board, foosball table, table tennis, or old arcade game
Disco ball

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/22/13 6:20 p.m.

i hate "man caves"...

just pick out the most expensive crap you can think of that you would find in a stereotypical "man cave", then make the case to the boss that it would actually be cheaper to get a car to work on...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/22/13 6:39 p.m.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/157078992/road-america-race-track-metal-art-to

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/22/13 7:02 p.m.

First thing is to not call it a man cave.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/23/13 12:11 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: First thing is to not call it a man cave.

but that's what the other guys call it... then they say something about how awesome bacon is..

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
7/23/13 12:21 a.m.

I hate the term "man cave". Seems like you bought a membership in some douchy HGTV club.

That said, I have a garage with a loft that kicks ass. No TV, but great stereo. The urinal is pissing out the window.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/23/13 1:09 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Anything I am missing.

A pair of testicles.

Seriously, don't ever use the term "man cave" again.

It's a horrible term used by emasculated men to show that their wife allows them to have a small part of the house to themselves.

That statement probably doesn't apply to you but it certainly applies to every guy I've met who tells me he has a "man cave"

I have a garage. It has motorcycles and tools in it, no damn couch, big screen or tacky giant football helmet, just a place to get E36 M3 done that smells like 90wt, rubber and gas.

I also have a separate bank account and as long as the fridge is full, the lights are on and the mortgage is paid, I'm free to spend money on whatever idiotic project I want without having to ask permission.

Same goes for my wife.

She has a horse, I have motorcycles.

God I hate the term "man cave"...

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/23/13 1:34 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
A pair of testicles. Seriously, don't ever use the term "man cave" again. It's a horrible term used by emasculated men to show that their wife allows them to have a small part of the house to themselves. That statement probably doesn't apply to you but it certainly applies to every guy I've met who tells me he has a "man cave" I have a garage. It has motorcycles and tools in it, no damn couch, big screen or tacky giant football helmet, just a place to get E36 M3 done that smells like 90wt, rubber and gas. I also have a separate bank account and as long as the fridge is full, the lights are on and the mortgage is paid, I'm free to spend money on whatever idiotic project I want without having to ask permission. Same goes for my wife. She has a horse, I have motorcycles. God I hate the term "man cave"...

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

i tried watching that one show on one of the networks where that one douchebag guy with the spiked hair that goes around eating crap at truckstops and theme diners converted garages into "man caves" by throwing enough tacky crap in them to make the owner of an Applebees blush, and i just wound up getting pissed off about 10 minutes in... where the hell are you supposed to actually work on a damn car when you've got a pool table and a fully stocked bar- complete with jukebox and dancefloor and theater seating for 12 to watch the 100" flat screen tv mounted to the garage door- taking up all the space in a 2 car garage?

this is what the "man cave" in the last house i lived at looked like:

and if it's a room in the house that you think you need to put "manly" crap into to feel like you have your own space, then you probably aren't using the garage properly..

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/23/13 1:40 a.m.

^This.

They guys with a "man cave" seem to enjoy playing up the loutish, beer-swilling, farting, "I think the crap I did in highschool football still matters", chest bumping, homer-simpson stereotype that seems to be all the rage these days.

I'm probably getting all worked up over nothing but good luck with your "den", "office", "rec-room" whatever you want to call it.

Shawn

jere
jere Reader
7/23/13 2:59 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote:
A pair of testicles. Seriously, don't ever use the term "man cave" again. It's a horrible term used by emasculated men to show that their wife allows them to have a small part of the house to themselves. ... God I hate the term "man cave"...
CAN I GET AN AMEN!!! ....

I think the proper term you should be using is "NO MA'AM", as in "can I get a no ma'am!"

The old lady always calls my garage "man cave" also, it's always annoying, every damn time.

A side from tools and a project car, my garage has old floor stereo speakers hanging from the rafters, a mini fridge, microwave, fan, opossum, bar stool, stolen signs, a huge wood boiler, assortment of animal skulls, dirt and an assortment spiders. I don't know why anyone would really need much more.

And the stripper pole for the wife ... some people have no imagination.

Oh that reminds me... and there is a rooster bell the wife has to ring if she wants me to unlock the door

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/23/13 7:32 a.m.

I have a multi use huge room in one area of one building at my shop, I call it the 'Dog House"

It has a GTV6, workout equipment, big screen TV, Microwave, couch, posters, wine rack, gun cleaning desk, and it is in another zip code.

It is not a man cave, it is my escape plan. I also have 3 other building full of cars and tools.

and Mongo

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
7/23/13 7:55 a.m.

Okay, so the term "man cave" is out the door. How about "Zen Room?" "Battle Dome?"

I have the blown up LS1 here at work still that I need to take home, clean up and get some glass for the top.

Also got a free projection big screen TV from Bob, need to go pick it up.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/23/13 7:55 a.m.

Toaster or Pizza Oven. (Much better than a microwave.)

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/23/13 8:05 a.m.

Man Cave = Home Theater Room w/ cheesy decor.

Of course, I have a house and live alone. Just about every room is filled with bikes, guitars and car parts.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/23/13 8:14 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Man Cave = Home Theater Room w/ cheesy decor. Of course, I have a house and live alone. Just about every room is filled with bikes, guitars and car parts.

Because it takes a real man to watch TV.

wait...

beans
beans Reader
7/23/13 8:42 a.m.

Mans caves are for little boys who don't want to get dirty and feel the need to flex nuts with other guys.

I sit in a fold out chair out front of oil-stained-floor-garage and drink Coors Light, watching what is basically the world of Mad Max unfold up and down my street. The only downside is the fridge/pisser/microwave/TV is inside. Probably a good thing, otherwise, I'd never leave the garage.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nu3PUk3FNrqDrhv4hj61lVILW13ajshxSLpmymllFvldX7xykBHCXtuxaPQ7HYTa